1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Do I have to use mantra?

Discussion in 'START HERE: Registration & Introductions' started by zippitydodah, Jul 11, 2014.

1. zippitydodah

zippitydodah New Member

Does LifeFlow only work best with mantra meditation? I've been meditating off and on for about ten years and I normally meditate by 'bringing awareness to' each part of my body. I find this puts me in an instant state of inwardness and calm.

2. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi zippitydodah and welcome to the community :)

LifeFlow works with any meditation technique and in many other ways too e.g. for relaxing, studying etc. Did you receive the recent issue of "The Good Life" because this explained how versatile LifeFlow really is. I personally benefit with LifeFlow both with meditation and outside of meditation in so many ways.

Here's a link to some more great info that has helped many people too:-

http://www.project-meditation.org/c...nciples-meditation-entrainment.html#post12298

Hope this helps and wish you much peace and joy :) :) :)

3. madera

madera Guest

meditation be still and know means just that.
    BY Repeating a mantra the mind is not still , you are correct.

4. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi again zippytydodah,

your bringing awareness to each body part sounds something like autogenics and if this is your choice that's great. The mantra is just another technique to reach the same state as the following principles explain:-

"To begin, let’s establish what is meant by the word “meditation”. The dictionary offers several different meanings such as to “think about” or “consider” a thing, etc. Our definition is very specific. Meditation is a particular state of consciousness having very unique attributes. This means meditation is a noun, not a verb. For the sake of convenience we may still speak of “meditating” but in fact this is inaccurate. What we really mean is that we are in the state of meditation. I won’t split hairs here and try to decide if there are multiple states of consciousness that can all be called meditation, or if there is only one. It suffices for our purposes to note that meditation is a state of consciousness possessing very specific and unique attributes.

We may use the term “to meditate” as a convenience, but always keep in mind, what is really meant is that we enter into a state of meditation. It’s an important point to distinguish because if we get caught in the trap of regarding meditation "as a verb” it leads into all sorts of problems and misunderstandings. If a person incorrectly believes meditation is a verb, they generally also confuse whatever technique they use to arrive at a state of meditation as being meditation in and of itself.

All techniques whether mantra, focus on the breath, contemplation of a koan, or any other, are simply the vehicles we use to take us into (hopefully) a meditative state. Put another way, the purpose of repeating a mantra is not to get proficient at repeating a mantra. The purpose is to take us to a meditative state where the mantra slips away and is no longer necessary.

I was raised on a farm, and in my youth I dug enough fence post holes to last a dozen lifetimes. My father used to joke that he gave me that chore so that I’d have lots of practice and get good at digging fence post holes. From a pragmatic point of view, the purpose of digging all those post holes was really not so that I’d become a better post hole digger, but so that I could plant posts in them. Once you dig a post hole to the correct depth you don’t keep on digging, trying to make the hole fancier or more aesthetically pleasing. You stick a post in that sucker, tamp the earth back in around it so that the post is secure, and then move on to dig the next hole.

Just so, when you reach a state of meditation you don’t “keep digging”, so to speak. The hole has been dug. All that digging has done what it was meant to do. Once your technique has gotten you into meditation, STOP DIGGING! You’re there. If you keep digging you will frustrate your ability to remain in meditation for any significant period of time. Only resume your chosen technique if and when you slip out of the meditative state. If you’re human then you WILL slip out of that state again and again. Don’t worry about that. That’s how the process works for all of us mere mortals…" to continue reading please click on the following link:-

http://www.project-meditation.org/c...nciples-meditation-entrainment.html#post12299

Hope this is helpful and wish you much peace and joy :) :) :)