1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Diving Inwards, Spinning and Expanding

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by MEJC, Mar 20, 2008.

1. MEJC

MEJC Member

This morning, when I meditated, I decided to have a go at doing it exactly as Michael says in his instruction CD. I said my mantra out loud for a while, and then after a while, said it silently whilst moving my lips, and then eventually just said it in my head.

I don’t know whether it was partly to do with the time I was doing it, but it worked extremely well. Quite quickly I experienced those sensations that I get just a while before getting the expanding feeling. It can be quite uncomfortable, but I’ve learned to just relax into it because I know that it can lead onto something quite amazing. It was like my body felt weird, like my hands felt strange, and I couldn’t tell which direction my eyes were looking, like they were looking in several directions at the same time. As I said, this can be quite uncomfortable when it happens.

Eventually this smoothly transformed into the next stage of the experience, which is like the sensation of being entirely inside my own head, but with the feeling of an expanse of space in front of me. This is great when it happens. It’s like you have dived inwards into your mind, but then inside you find there is a big feeling of space. This must be what David Lynch etc. refer to as “pure consciousness” or “unbounded awareness”.

Throughout that stage of the experience, it smoothly transforms into various subtle variations of it. At one point, I had the sensation that there was noisy chaos happening at the far end of the spacious feeling, like screaming and violence, but like it was a release. I’ve had this before. It’s not a sound, or even a sight, but a sensation. It soon passes, and doesn’t feel like anything to be afraid of. As I said, it feels kind of like a release.

This lunch time I did the same technique, but it didn’t happen the same way. Instead I just got extremely relaxed, which is great in its own way too, and should also be appreciated as an equal part of what mediation is about. I just totally relaxed into it. But then, in the last 5 minutes or so of my session, I felt it move onto something deeper, similar to this morning’s experience, but not as much. It was more like I was slowly spinning inside my head, like my sense of space was going wonky.

I’m intrigued by the effect time of day has on how I meditate, because I really think it does make a big difference. I think 1 hour after waking up is the best time, but I will experiment as to what are the best times later on in relation to that.

But then maybe it doesn’t have to always happen like that? If it happens, it happens, but if I just get very relaxed, then that’s great too.

But I’m going to experiment though. That’s what I’m like.