1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Diving Into What Is

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Michael David, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Michael David

Michael David Member

Hello I am very happy I found this community just yesterday. I posted a reply to a concern about public speaking and thought it might be an interesting question to review.

Another approach to the anxiety and fear that arises is to dive into the sensations of the anxiety and fear. Turning towards the opposite of our natural avoidance, of these thoughts and sensations, is similar to the benefit of turning into the direction of a car skidding on ice covered snow.

Resistance to the thoughts and sensations we do not want only creates more of them. Take one moment at a time and ask yourself the question, “can I be with this thought sensation right now?” Practice this in meditation by bringing to mind the situation that you fear. Allow the sensations to be prominent and then ask the question, “can I be with this thought or sensation right now?” Hold on, open, breath into your heart center, and watch as the sensations dissolve.

Allow the uncomfortable thoughts and sensations to be there. Just watch and feel the sensation, focus on the breath and opening the heart center. Do not try to change anything, just watch and feel. The less resistance there is the faster the dissolving occurs.

You can augment this practice by bringing to mind the complete opposite thoughts and sensations that you started with and hold both groups together at the same time. It is sort of like adding cherry syrup to a bad tasting medicine. In a short time you may actually get to like the medicine.

The sensations associated with our thoughts are a deeper level of consciousness. Allowing the sensations to be there without trying to block them lets them settle down and dissolve like ripples in a pond; ie if they do not keep bouncing off another obstacle or retaining wall.

When the sensations have settled the thoughts have dissolved along with them. The syrup may remain and an enjoyment of public speaking or whatever anxiety it is creates a new and enjoyable sensation. :)

2. Redmar112

Redmar112 Member

Great post!

today 1 hour after meditation I started to see everything more clearer and I felt so good, and then some anxiety came that maybe I feel to good. But I just welcomed the sensations and I feel a lot better now! I think it was the lowering of the blood pressure that made me feel different..

next time it happens during my meditation i'll try the question you posted!