1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Disengagement

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by stretchingout, Mar 11, 2008.

1. stretchingout

stretchingout Member

Hi all - been on lifeflow10 for a few weeks now and really feeling clear about life and beginning to see some great things manifesting! I have been on a personal development journey for a few years now and lifeflow seems to be putting all the pieces together for me so my gratitude to michael and everyone on this website.
    I have been experiencing a strange occurance during my last few sessions. I have been holding my mantra very well after a first couple of weeks of intense clearing. My mind seems to disengage from my mantra and (very difficult to describe) goes quite blank but I still drift back and my mantra is still running underneath and then I drift out again. Anyone else had this sort of experience?:confused:

2. Divinitywolf

Divinitywolf Member

Yes i know what you mean.
    Its like your mantra is still going on in your head but you're not thinking about it.
    I have that except i drift off into thought instead of my mind going blank.
    I think its just a matter of really focussing on thinking about nothing.
    Maybe you should try the breathing method.
    If my mind drifts away i focus on my breathing then gradually emerge myself in my mantra again.
    By focussing on your breathing you increase your ability to concentrate and should therefore be able to focus on your mantra.
    Although having your mind go blank isn't a bad thing. In fact it means you're efficient at clearing your mind and having a blank mind can also be good in meditation instead of using a mantra.

3. Raven

Raven Member

You're right where you want to be

This is exactly what you WANT to have take place. The purpose of a mantra is not so that you can become proficient at repeating a mantra.

A mantra has fulfilled its purpose when the mantra itself fades into nothingness and leaves you with a silent, deep sense of awareness and presence wherein the mind has ceased its habitual, non-stop onslaught of chatter.

So rather than switching to a new object of focus, like the breath or some other stimulus, you want to see if you can rest in those moments of silence for longer and longer periods of time. That silence IS meditation. The mantra repetition is just the tool/technique to get you to the silence.

I should add that the key when the mantra fades is that you are left with a silent, deep sense of awareness and presence. Just going "blank" without an attending increase in awareness and presence is no more beneficial to you than being put under anesthesia. It is presence and awareness meditation seeks to cultivate, not a state of thoughtless stupor.

~R~

Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  4. ellen

ellen Member

Hi stretching out out yep I too have finally had this experience a few times and I find myself in awe of the whole experience , the only way I can describe it is as if I were in the eye of a tornado so while everything around me may be busy and chaotic I feel calm and in control and simply observing it all !!!! Great isn't it. I wish you all the best with your meditating -kind regards -ellen

5. stretchingout

stretchingout Member

thanks for the posts guys - sounds like I'm on the right track! Certainly a fantastic safe environment to learn this valuable life skill and it is all very much appreciated.:p

6. stretchingout

stretchingout Member

oh and Ellen your tornado analogy is just perfect!:D

7. Michael Mackenzie

Michael Mackenzie Owner

sounds okay

Sounds like your doing just fine! Try not to over analyze your meditations, I know it's difficult but I promise it's not helpful :p

Michael :)