1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Datastream

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Panthau, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Panthau

Panthau Member

Hi,

Recently i encountered something weird in my meditations. I felt this before, but never gave much attention to it. My girlfriend knew what i meant, as she experienced the same!

Its a sort of datastream, or thoughtstream if you like, thats coming from the left side of the body, passing through it and exiting on the right side. And i got aware of every single piece that i was totaly unconscious holding on to, and which therefore couldnt exit on the right side. (While beeing conscious of that fact, i could of course let go of the parts of the stream i was holding on to.)

Anyone experienced the same or something similar?

2. iciek

iciek Member

Not sure if it's the same sort of thing but every so often (once ever couple of years or so) my mind gets overwhelmed with numbers, as if some sort of audit it going on in the background. Now that you mention it it does seem like a shifting of data but it isn't something I've ever given any thought to.

3. GilesC

GilesC Member

don't worry we'll unplug you from the Matrix when the time is right... :D

4. Panthau

Panthau Member

Hehe ;)

It sounds weird, but its definitive there. And it helps a lot to let go of things, that i unconcious hold on to. Well, my answers and threads dont seem to find much interest (besides not much action here anyway), so ill take myself back from this board and wish the LF users all the best.

Cya on the other side,
    Phil

5. GilesC

GilesC Member

No, don't go Pan! I've been a little short on time lately.

Not sure I've experienced it the same as that. Having an awareness of all the thoughts flowing it something I seem to be able to do at will, and I can just be aware of them come and go, and even recognise what those thoughts are about without getting attached to them. Of course some thoughts do come to the conscious mind and get attachment, and then that takes a little more focus to recognise it's done that and let that go.

As for the left-right thing, I'm not sure I've experienced it like that... but that could be merely a perception thing... perhaps you just need to let go of that too. ;)

Hugs

Giles

6. Panthau

Panthau Member

Haha ok if you think i still could be of use here, then ill keep up my regulary visits.

So you can always be aware of all of your unconcious thought streams? The patterns? If so, then wow... tell me your secret technique :D

7. Pavlina

Pavlina Member

Sensations Sensations......

Hello Everyone!!!!!
    I am a bit anxious in my day to day life, sometimes for no reason, or sometimes I find issues that makes me anxious and it becomes a built up....however, at 49 years old, I can say that I am getting better, and meditation helps me a great deal with my anxiety.

While I meditate, sometimes I feel pressure on my forehead, on the left side; sometimes I have toughts that becomes an issue to think about, even to get anxious about........all these feelings , sensations, toughts....I try never judge, let go , go back to my mantra.....and it works...to an extent that on my daily routine I am improving my quality of life....I am less anxious...I worry less about things that I easily could have been obsessed about.

Meditation is a wonderful tool for me, so all kinds of sensations....whatever happens during meditation, stays in my practice....if there is one thing I do not want to worry about is what happens and how I feel while I am in a state of meditation.

Pavlina

8. Panthau

Panthau Member

Hey Pavlina, thats great!

This sensation im experiencing, is not something i worry about... especially not in my meditation, it rather helps me to see where i havent let go yet. But thanks for your tipps anyway, and keep it up :)

9. GilesC

GilesC Member

Simply be the observer and let go of anything you're currently attached to. ;)

10. Panthau

Panthau Member

Meh. I could also tell you that its easy to set up an domain server with 250 clients, but that would only count for me ;)

The easyness goes hand in hand with the counciousness about it, doesnt it. :cool:

11. GilesC

GilesC Member

I know what you mean, but my day job is software development and I've been working with computers since for nearly 30 years, so I could set up a domain server with 250 clients too :p hehe! ;)

Yes. When I say "simply" I use that word because people always think there must be something more to achieve things than there really is. They spend so much time trying to evaluate and look for some hidden intricacies/details and not finding them they think it must be a hard thing to do. It's like meditation, people think only experienced people who have studied under "great teachers" for many years can meditate, but as you know, anybody can do it, and it doesn't requite a lot of effort.

;)

Hugs
    Giles

12. Michael David

Michael David Member

Easy does it

Hi Panthau
    A very interesting thead along with your other posts. Keep writing.;)

Can you describe the sensation that accompanies the flow of the data stream? And how it changes when you let go of parts of it? What part of the sensation changes?

Hi Giles

Yes meditation and other actions seem simple when you have "mastered" them. Balancing when riding a bicycle is easy to do once you know how to balance. How would you describe what the sensation of balancing a bicycle is?

One thought about meditation is that it is a balance between two tensions. What is the sensation of that?

Michael:)

13. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi Michael,

As I was saying to Pan, when I say "simple" I'm referring more to the fact it doesn't require a whole book of knowledge to be learnt before one can understand what needs to be done. Just like riding a bicycle, you sit on the seat you push the pedals forward and hold the handlebars to steer, pulling the levers to brake. Advanced instruction would be learning to change up and down gears when appropriate. Of course it still takes practice, because the balance has to be learnt as well as when to put your feet down etc. but those are not really something that can be given through knowlege, but only through experience. And that's the point. Observing the stream of thoughts is simply a case of letting go of the attachment to the focus/thoughts we currently have, it will still take practice and some will pick it up more quickly than others, but there is no more instruction to give.

Likewise with meditation. Some believe meditation is only something that can be done through years of study and understanding, and even places like the TM organisation teach it with more than necessary, by requiring the offering of flowers, the presentation of the handkerchief etc. and all the rituals to the deities spoken in sanskrit that provide an 'initiation' into meditation. But that isn't meditation and it isn't required for meditation, which is why those who teach the same actual meditation techniques without the ritual (such as Michael's course or the one I attended) easily achieve the same level of meditation. The meditation practice is really simple... it just takes practice.

What tensions do you believe it is a balance between?

And what is balance except for a subjective creation of the mind that creates duality?

Why not just let go of the minds idea of "balance" as well as the sensations of tension and simply enter meditation? ;)

Hugs

Giles

14. Panthau

Panthau Member

LOL i had that thought in my mind when i wrote it :)

Yup, it is that way with everything in life, like Michael said, when you´re into it for at least a while... then it gets easier. But easy and not easy is anyway something the mind creates, and with that influences the way it is perceived.

Thanks for asking, thats even interesting for me.. lol

It feels a bit like a flow of wind through my body, from the toes to my crown. When i feel this stream, i can easily feel where its "not" flowing, and if i concious let go of what im holding on to, then im more and more "nothing". Just the attention that theres a flow of something through my body. Well, it then feels more like a major river hehe. It just makes me aware of the fact, that im holding onto something... which must be thoughtstreams that im not aware of normaly.

I said its weird, but in fact it isnt... it feels natural for me. I just wondered if anyone encountered something similar.

Hope you´re all doing well in your meditation :)

15. iciek

iciek Member

In my experience there was a very conscious fear of approaching "nothing", that it was a one way trip and holding on to something intangible was a form of safety device. Then at one point I went through a period of serious depression when self harm was an option but curiously the option I chose first was the risk of discarding that something intangible that kept me from "nothing". It worked. The state of depression gave me the kick I needed and made easy for me.
    The fear of nothing is the last vestige of the conscious mind and is not easy to discard but once let go a brick wall becomes a veil.

16. Michael David

Michael David Member

Hi Giles

Yes, having the experience of balance in bike riding or meditation is not book knowledge and is almost efforless with enough experience. But how do you acquire the experience? In bike riding you try leaning too far one way and then too far the other way and gradually the body takes over and leans by itself just the right amount to "balance."

In meditation you might acquire the experience by being not to tight and not to loose in posture and or attention to the breath or just letting go. And with practice after awhile (or for some few ) instantly you have the experience of meditation and it comes to you easier the next time around.

I am curious as to how you would describe your "experience" of meditation or letting go or balance or another word that describes your experience. What is it like for you when you are "in" meditation?

17. Michael David

Michael David Member

Hi Panthau
    There is something in your description that resonates with my experience of meditation. "like a flow of wind through my body" seems very much the same as the feeling I have of flowing or radiating or vibrating a wave or energy field that connects with the space in the room around me. Sometimes I visualize a strainer that moves up from my feet to the top of my head and strains out the concretions (of what I am holding on to). I empty the strainer onto a silver tray next to me and then repeat the process a few times. Each time I feel lighter and lighter and more transparent. Usually at this point I start to sense a smile on my face and a sensation of softening of the small muscles on my cheeks. When my meditation is over I can choose to either leave the concretions on the silver tray or place them in a backpack and carry them around with me all day.:rolleyes:

18. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hehe! it's that old question that can't be answered, because no words can truly describe Oneness.

We can only point at it... so I would point at it by saying it's a sense (even though it's not a sense) of complete awareness; of not being attached to anything; of simply BEing and letting everything BE with me/of me/as me... erm.... ok, clearly it's not easy to describe. :D

You're right though, the practice makes us swing one way and another but eventually that swinging comes to the stillness that is that awareness I was pointing at. I prefer not to use the word 'balance' as such a word implies one or 'other' and that is a dualistic manner in which to look at things, it still keeps those things that are 'outside' of the balance as something that is seperate from all the One that we are.

:)

Hugs

Giles

19. Pavlina

Pavlina Member

Need your guidance

Hello Panthau, GilesC, Pollyana and everybody who reads this!!!!

Nowadays, I find myself not only having thoughts that I observe like clouds that are passing by in the sky while I meditate and listening to Lifeflow9, but I find myself thinking.. solving issues...and almost forgetting why I am sitting down quietly ........ I meditate with a mantra so I go back to my mantra but, I presume it might too much thinking.W

When it is a thought that I kind of catch quickly, that's ok but sometimes, my mind goes too far.

Do you have any advice for me???

How often do you meditate a day???

Last question, how long have you been meditating before you discovered Liflow and do you feel a big difference between your practice without Liflow and with Lifeflow????

I know having thoughts during meditation is part of the process and to let go and go back to whatever you do, mantra or your breathing is meditation in itself,it is part of entrainment, but when I start thinking......on and on and on....hummm....isn't it too much???? However , even with all my questionning about the way I meditate, I feel good about my general practice and the benifits on my daily life.

Any tips from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

Hope you are all good :)

Thank you!!!

Pavlina

Ps: It should be part of a new thread I think.....whatever....

20. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi Pavlina,

Have you read "The Principles of Meditation and Entrainment" in the following link?

http://www.project-meditation.org/c...nciples-meditation-entrainment.html#post12298

I know it's quite lengthy, however, I think it's very helpful to re-read every once in a while :)

I have been meditating with LF for about 5 years now

I meditate once a day with LifeFlow for 20/40/or 60 minutes depending on my work schedule. I play Nirvana most of the time when I am working at my computer which really makes my work more enjoyable. I am fortunate to work in our upstairs lounge, accompanied by my lovely dog Samson who lays on his back on the rug with legs in the air totally chilled out. I will photograph him soon and post on the community :)

I've attempted to meditate for years on and off but never knew if I was doing it right or not. In hindsight, I now know that I was definately not.

I now can just BE whenever I want and I find this really helpful when I am in the company of others who are stressed or anxious. I consciously become quiet and this has a real calming effect on them.

The difference it has made to my life is huge and the calming effect it can have on others is a real blessing.

I must just add, when I first meditated with LF, I nearly always ended up asleep :eek: I just accepted the fact that I needed to do this for a while because I had not been sleeping well for years and my neck and shoulders were always tight and uncomfortable through stress.

I hope this helps and wish you much peace and joy :) :) :)