1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

crying during / after meditation

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by crystal_clover, Nov 10, 2010.

1. crystal_clover

crystal_clover Member

Hi everyone, I'm a meditation newbie and have been reading up on the different styles, and trying the demos (only Lifeflow and Discover Meditation so far).

I did Discover Meditation CD 2 last night which was about 10 mins of mantra meditating, and ended up crying (during the music segment).

any insights?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  2. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi Crystal Clover and welcome to the project meditation community,

Meditation can bring up emotions and issues within us, but that is not a bad thing as it allows us to start to recognise those things that are issues for us and deal with them, whether that requires some work or just requires us to recognise that we've been holding onto them and need to let those things go.

If you're experiencing such releases with 10 minutes of meditation I would recommend you stick with 10 minute meditation for a while, until you feel more comfortable etc., before extending the length of time.

Hugs

Giles

3. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi Crystal,

where they tears of joy? It's quite a long time since I have listened to Discover Meditation. I am thinking you are listening to the music where Michael suggests you think of all that you are grateful for in life and I remember a number of people crying tears of joy or simply moved by the relief and happiness they felt.

Let us know how you progress and I wish you much peace and joy :) :) :)

4. Panthau

Panthau Member

Hey,

Theres also the possibility of just releasing tension. Our everyday life is rather stressful, and sitting down, closing the eyes and listening to smooth sound can release tension and pent-up emotions, which dont need to be necessarily from deep within, but of course thats also quite possible.

For me its always a joy if im able to release tension, wether with or without tears. So id say its a good thing, isnt it? :)

Atb,
    Pan

5. Edwin

Edwin Member

The last time I cried was in 2000 at the funeral of my father in law...

until I started meditation in 2007.
    Ever since, I feel no inhibitions to let the feelings flow. If you feel like crying, cry, just like you would eat when you are hungry or drink when thursty.

:)

6. Itlandm

Itlandm Member

People whose personality combine emotional and a spiritual aspects, will frequently shed tears in connection with spiritual practices like prayer or meditation, or even just from hearing the words of a Great Teacher. This is natural, widespread and has been known for thousands of years. Usually these are quiet tears, although the first times may be more intense.

It is generally considered a good thing.

7. MeditationMan

MeditationMan Member

What does that mean exactly? Do you mean people whose personality combine more than normal emotional and spiritual aspects? My impression is that your statement would include more people than it would exclude, as many people have those traits to some extent, I'd think.

8. Itlandm

Itlandm Member

Yes, it is a matter of degree. The more of these components, the more easily tears will show up during spiritual practices.

This is probably why some branches of Eastern Orthodox Christianity, for instance, believe that there is no salvation without tears. They operate with the assumption that the seeker has near normal emotional strength, in which case lack of tears would imply a severe lack of spirituality. But some of us are just naturally dry.

Of course, many people who meditate do so in a clinical, scientific way and would rather not have anything to do with spirituality. This is also perfectly possible. Meditation does set strict conditions on the personality of those who practice it. The meditation that is taught on this website is by default not spiritual, though you can be a spiritual person and practice it.

9. Salem Temple

Salem Temple Member

It is good to read some feedback on this subject.
    Thankyou everyone who put in, and thankyou TW.

I have had to slow the meditations myself. I really am thankful for your post Edwin. I, like you, havent cryed much in my life. And in meditation recently a lot of emotions have been comming up.

I honestly didnt expect this reaction. It is as if someone implanted something in my subconscious that told me to wake up, in fact following the suggestions in the LF media to the fullest, with all of my mind and every bit of my heart has produced this.

The reaction didnt happen while in meditation, I actually felt very happy and enlivened by the experience with life flow. And I have been meditating for many years, and have had many awesome things unfold. But I swear this is so strange. Out of seemingly no where I have been experiencing extreme emotions, for deep disapointment to fits of deep crying.

A complete rerouting of my mind is taking place. I do not believe that LF is the sole cause of this, but perhaps was an initiate of some sort. The feelings are deeply painful, and I know where they are comming from. Deep in my past, for 20 something years I burried them all, and now they are suffacing.

As I read the other posts here, I am so thankful for this place, as I dont have many in my life who begin to understand what this is like. My body is riddled with stress and my mind going in circles, my emotions are deeply intense, everything is out of control.

Yet under it all I am very consciously aware of what is going on. As this takes place I feel lighter, and brighter. It is honestly so very difficult, that is why I slowed my roll on the meditation CDs.

For years I tryed to talk to my family about meditation, buddhism and other spiritual things, and didnt really find an outlet.
    Until I first got on the net, and now, with this place, there has been an unexpected reaction.

The person within is the built to hide from the penetrating light of absolution, this absolution is the substance of our being. Its love breaks into peices the greed and guilt that dominate the world of illusion.

I watch as this tempts me to into that, and my own mind wispers lies like darts into my heart. My soul undoubtably connected to this heart aches like after shocks of an earthquake, but consciously I am aware. These fluxuations are angry with me, they have no more a place in me, no home to find. My cage of flesh is rattled like a babies rattle, and my emotions carry on like a heavy rock tumbling down a steep moutain. There is nothing to stop its tumble. It will reach the bottom of the valley, into the river of peace. There my emotions will be smoothed out, broken up and carried along the stream we call the way.

All the while, in the center of this great scene I remain just a reflection, seen on a tiny single leaf of grass, in a globe of dew, lit by the briallant rays of the sun.

-Salem-