1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Completely new.

Discussion in 'START HERE: Registration & Introductions' started by JasonARGY, Sep 26, 2011.

1. JasonARGY

JasonARGY Member

Hello. My name is Jason, I am 21 and recently had some anxiety attacks and was was told to try meditation.
    I had some anxiety attacks when I smoked too much marijuana (please done judge me, i'm a good boy) but I always knew that would pass as soon as effect wore off and always did. About 8 months ago a got a bad anxiety attack and I made it worse by worrying about the fact that I hadn't smoked anything. I went on a nice long walk and it went away.

I still would get anxious every now and then but nothing big until this last weekend. I had breakfast and then started getting a bit anxious. I was on my way to the mall about 1:45 away and kept getting more and more anxious. My legs and arms started tingling and the tingling got closer and closer to my core. I had to stop and get out and walk around but it just wouldnt get better. I was finally able to calm down about 3 hours later but was still anxious. It lasted through out the whole day and night.

The next day i woke up fine but immediately began thinking about how much i hated the feeling and was scared to feel it again kept thinking about it and the fear of anxiety made me anxious again but not so bad, just very uncomfortable all day and all night again. Today again i have had anxiety on and off, not bad at all, but i cant stop thinking about it. It has been 3 days now and I can't shake it.

I tried last night to sit, close my eyes and just focus on my breathing. It is very difficult for me, my mind begins to wander and i can't just shut all my thoughts down, they just keep coming and coming. I understand this is all part of the beginning and practice will make it better but is there something else I can try? I tried chanting the mantra but i just feel silly and my mind just is constantly thinking about how its silly i think this it is. Should i try without the mantra for a while until i get some experience? I downloaded the free CD packet offered here and want to try it out.

I live in a small busy house with people working all different hours and i share a room. Its hard to have my own quiet peaceful time. When i cant find time alone, would it be ok to just sit in my car and play the tapes through the stereo? Also, do i meditate to the CD2 of discover meditation or to a track of the LifeFlow? Some of the tracks on LifeFlow sound a little scary.

Thank you for anyone reading my long wall of text. I am truly a believer of meditation I just have no experience trying to control my thoughts. I look forward to being able to relieve much of my stress and hopefully reduce my anxiety. Again, thanks a lot!

2. Hazelkay

Hazelkay Member

Hi there JasonARGY

Welcome to the forum:)

Much sympathy for the anxious time you are having. No judgements here on the forum - we are all as we are.

From your post I think there are a few aspects for you.

The anxiety
    The tingling
    lots of thoughts
    technical questions to do with Lifeflow.

Let's look at the anxiety first. Anxiety is a big term and it encompasses lots of things. There are the sensations on the body - you have noted the tingling. There is the self-talk - why is it lasting so long? I can't stand it any more - when will it subside? when will it come again? There is a subtle agitation that you can't name, but is very unsettling.

None of this can be happening in the same moment. Have a go and see if you can be aware of more than one thought at a time! So, in each moment there is only one thing you are aware of - it might seem like more - but that is running moments together.

Stereo in your car is fine for listening to Lifeflow - ten to fifteen minute sessions are long enough when there is turmoil. If you are a bit wary of the lifeflow soundtrack, just wait awhile until things are more settled.

Start your meditation session with one deep breath, hold it momentarily and let it out slowly. As you let it out allow the body to relax. Repeat this once. Now let the breathing do as it wants and turn your attention to the body. Become aware of the region around your jaw and allow it to relax. Just below and at the sides of the eyes tension builds when we are thinking - allow that to relax - this is not a forceful relaxation - just allow it to soften. Look for tension in other parts of the body and allow them to relax in the same way. Keep going back to the first two areas, they will keep retightening - you keep softening them.

Thoughts will come, and when we start meditating they come thick and fast. Wanting them not to will increase the flow. Let them be there, but allow them to pass. Like air bubbles floating up from the bottom of a lake, let them just rise up and pass away. As soon as you realise that you have taken hold of a thought and developed it, pop it into a bubble and let it float away.

This rush of thoughts is necessary - it is like a clearing house- as they come up they are leaving clearer space behind them, welcome them and let them go.

After your meditation session its good to drink water and go for a walk.

Try this for a week and let us know how you are doing - we are always happy to help.

Hope this was useful
    peace and joy:)
    H

3. Boris Badenov

Boris Badenov Member

My thoughts

I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks as well. I find it very difficult to meditate as my mind is "tired" from anxiety. I found a lot of answers in Claire Weekes' books. She was an Australian psychiatrist that suffered from anxiety and she explains a lot of what you're going through.
    I've found relief from severe panic attacks by putting a heating pad on my stomach. Set it on medium heat for 30 minutes or so. It's so relaxing that I usually fall asleep with it on. You have a lot of nerve endings in your stomach/small intestine and it's very soothing for panic. I find it impossible to take deep breaths during a panic attack. That just doesn't work for me as I can only take half breaths during an attack.
    I also found that eating several small meals every 2 or 3 hours helps to stem hypoglycemia. I usually do avocado with a sprouted bread and cucumber for example. Or a meat protein with a carb. I run on 'high idle' and if I don't eat I get hypoglycemic. That mimics a panic attack.
    Food for thought. Check out Claire Weekes' material, you'll be glad you did. Wish you well.