1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Complete Surrender.

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by filly33, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Anni66

Anni66 Member

Tolle

Forgive me for butting in, I haven't read any Tolle yet but...

I'm confused????? from what I can gather, and please correct me if I'm wrong... is the ego the part of you which puts you down all the time? and always wants something that's no good for you..? Where as your inner voice is your good angel on your shoulder that you should listen too? If it is I've just recently found a guided mediation which helped me calm my negative thoughts and I'd like to share it with you... ego-free :p

As I've already said in another thread...you need to breathe in thru your nose deeply until you can feel it at the bottom of your lungs and while blowing out from your mouth imagine your breath is a beautiful blue mist shimmering, glistening in front of you which can engulf and reduce the size of any negativity in it's path. Now imagaine Negativity is a yellow ball which comes into your vision at the side. You personally name the negative thought and allow it to become engulfed in your shimmering breathe. Continue doing your breathing excercises in thru your nose-out thru your mouth blowing on the yellow ball until you see it reducing in size until it's the size of a grain of sand and then just simply blow it away within you Glistening Blue Mist once and for all, the beauty is it becomes so small it can't touch you anymore. Sometimes I found some of mines laughable. I even imagined thier niggling voices getting so small and squeaky...it's was ridiculous. But so far, it's working for me oh another thing I noticed on doing it for a few days was my yellow balls were different in sizes dependant on how I perceived it's effect on me was varying the time it took for it to be small enough to just blow away.... but it worked. In my case one ball I called fear...it was huge ;) but I felt so much better when I laughed in it's face and blow away the annoying little grain of sanding squeaking as it went :rolleyes: It was a good feeling :):):)

Glad to be back here by the way...I missed this. :p

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  2. Bhavya

Bhavya Member

I think it is simple like Gus said. If it's complicated, it's probably the ego talking.

Edwin, you said:
    The crazy loop here is that by thinking that the ego is bad and needs to stop, you are actually feeding it again through your painbody, because the ego makes you feel guilty by using it.

but why think ego is bad? My take is that ego can be positive or negative...or neutral but until we learn to transcend it, we'd better have it to provide healthy boundaries and help us navigate through life in a body. The trouble comes when we think we are the ego rather than awareness itself...something much bigger and powerful ... spirit having a human experience in a body.

I used to beat myself up because I'd have these limiting thoughts, or worse, negative thoughts. I was really down on myself which just created a negative loop like you said Edwin. Now I find I'm a lot better. I still get those thoughts but I trust that it's just my negative conditioning at work and not the real me. When I step back, like you said Grey, and ask just who am I, I get a sense of an identity that's somehow centered in my heart. Christians called it the Christ within - the I am presence - but whatever you call it, it's a whole lot better than the picture my ego paints of me... :rolleyes: And I like what you said, Edwin - like you, I say my mantra or an affirmation or take a deep breath. (When I remember of course). Sometimes I can do that right away and sometimes it takes longer but I do get around at some point to remembering that it's not the real me.

But I still don't get what Henrik meant when he said: In my opinion, Tolle's "observe the observer" suggestion is wise but can in fact be harmful if overdone (much like I believe is the case with LoA). I really wish Tolle had pointed this out more as this is an obvious trap everybody's bound to fall in. :confused:

3. Edwin

Edwin Member

At first I was afraid I didn't bring across what I wanted to say clearly, but later on it became clear that you understand perfectly Bhavya :)

It is impossible to stop thinking by thinking you need to stop it is what I wanted to say. The meditation exercise is a perfect way to stop thinking, because you stop giving your mind more "food for thought".

Anni, it is impossible to compress 2 books into a short explanation, I am going to try, but if you are really interested, I suggest you buy "A new earth" by Eckhart Tolle.

Here goes:
    Eckhart Tolle is a German born man who studied in England. During his studies he suffered from anxiety attacks, and at one point he decided to just accept the next, extremely heavy attack, and let it come instead of resisting it.
    This made him experience "enlightenment". He has been teaching ever since.

According to Tolle, people in the Western world suffer "the thinking disease".
    We tend to think we control our thoughts, but in fact, most of the time people are actually controlled by their thoughts, which is the other way around.
    A good way to test this, is to try to stop thinking for, let's say, 5 minutes. If you succeed in that, you probably are "enlightened" allready. Most of the time, we are out of touch with reality and the real Universal Truth ( the fact that we only live Now ) because our mind forces us to re-live memories ( especially the painfull ones ) or think about the future ( usually making movies in our mind of all the things that may go wrong ).

That what we call "ego" is not just the ego as you may percieve it, but more in the way that Tolle means it: Most people think that " I " or "me" is nothing more than the thoughts and emotions we have, and a lot of the time, negative thoughts and emotions can really mess up our lives. However, there is more to you than just your compulsive thoughts and the "memories and events that shaped you into the person you are today".

Deep down, buried underneath all those thoughts, is what some people may call the "soul", a universal, timeless part of Life and Godness.
    When we realise that we can silence the many thoughts ( and you have probably done this during meditation a few times ) we come into contact with the deeper part of ourselves. Think of it as all-day meditation. When we succeed with that, true happiness and a deep feeling of gratitude and one-ness with Life can be experienced.

With the book "a new earth", Tolle is basically trying to bring insight, awareness into our lives.

There are many more teachers who are enlightened that say things that are very similar. I think that this universal truth is the real reason why we are here, why we are alive.

Hopefully it makes sense :)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  4. Anni66

Anni66 Member

Ah I see...:) thanks Edwin you explained it in a way that I understood what you meant. Appreciated bud.

I think I may investigate Tolle, but will keep in mind your explaination so as it doesn't confuse me too much. :p :)

Peace

A x