1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Coming back to meditaton.......!

Discussion in 'START HERE: Registration & Introductions' started by DavidFarm, May 22, 2011.

1. DavidFarm

DavidFarm Member

Yes, this was how I was "taught" to do it many years ago.

As you say its whatever works for the individiual (good point)which is something they didn't really encourage previously.....only their own proceedures.

Breathing is working well for me at the moment an I'm going to experiment with the candle idea.

I might also try some different sounds (eg flowing water)but I'm not sure if that's a help or a hinderance?

2. Bryan555

Bryan555 Member

I must say I've heard that same word -- distracting -- many times, in reference to mantras. That's certainly my own feeling, whenever I've tried it. I'm not sure why but, for some reason, the mantra always feels "artificial" to me; or perhaps the correct word is "artifice". Yet concentration on breathing, or an inner focus on the "third eye", seem quite natural.

I know that's not fair. But a mantra is an invention: we make it up, or get it from a teacher. Maybe that's why it seems external, like an intrusion.

On the other hand, some of the most advanced meditators here at PM see the mantra as absolutely invaluable, the very best vehicle to reach deeper states. So, obviously, yes, different things work for different people...

3. DavidFarm

DavidFarm Member

Yes, again, an excellent point, I think. I'd never put thoughts into words but in many ways that hits the nail on the head for me, it DID seem artificial to me(a good way of expressing it).

I tried the candle method a few days which very good for me. Visuallising the candle betwen my eyes somehow gave me another subject to maybe give interest to.

Hmmm....must persevere.

4. Anglepen

Anglepen Member

I feel the key point here is that everyone is different, it doesn't matter if Buddha
    himself came to us and taught us exactly how he did things, if it didn't feel right then it wouldn't be of much use!

I personally feel that 'whatever floats your boat' and has the desired effect then stick with it, if your feelings are that you want to go deeper or acheive something more/different then by all means experiment, but I feel that the guy who lives next door could gain as much happiness from his meditation as a seasoned 30 year veteran, who knows he maybe has developed his own style that is so effective it could make him a millionaire!! but he is happy and thats all that matters.

In a nutshell, dont follow the herd, be a pioneer, there is no wrong way to meditate.

5. peanutbutter

peanutbutter New Member

hello!

Unlike David, I have just discovered the world of meditation very recently! I wish to learn about it more, even use it to acquire mindfulness. Any tips you might wanna share? I would really appreciate them because I easily get distracted. Thanks all!

6. DavidFarm

DavidFarm Member

Only don't make the mistake I made 20 or so years ago by getting distracted or confused by the techno-babble!

I liked the candle method yesterday. Watching the flame was very...shall we say...soothing.

If you do get distracted, just bring your mind gently back to the object of the meditation. Don't (as I used to) get annoyed about it.

One thing that might be good to try to, is some form of water/stream/brook sound. Watch that it doesn't send you spending a penny tho'. :)

Using one method only might be a mistake. I think you might get bored of it?

7. GilesC

GilesC Member

That's easy enough. Michael's free downloadable demo of Lifeflow is a good soothing background for meditating too, and whilst it's not the full length thing, it's got no ads or distractions in it and you can just put it on repeat if you need longer than the short demo length.

;)

8. DavidFarm

DavidFarm Member

Yes, I'll try that. :)

Also, I was talking around this with my folks yesterday.

We had stopped here(Abergele area north wales);

[​IMG]

....on route to Caernarfon Castle(day out:)).

I was reminded how pleasant the sound of waves breaking is. Is this sound available on CD?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  9. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi David and thanks for the lovely memories - I used to live not far from both Abergele and Caernarfon Castle before I moved to France. North Wales has some beautiful beaches :)

LF5 incorporates the soundscape of waves breaking on the shore.

Hope that helps and I wish you much peace and joy :) :) :)

10. DavidFarm

DavidFarm Member

Hi pollyanna,

My grandparents retired up to Llandudno Junction. The North Wales area therefore became a very useful holday area for us when we were kids. We used to use their bungalo as a base and drive into the hills from
    there or go down to Conway to watch the boats.

I too have fond memories of North Wales!

11. DavidFarm

DavidFarm Member

Thankyou. :)

12. Bhavya

Bhavya Member

I have to agree with you, Anglepen. The Buddha himself taught many different methods of meditation because everyone is different. I myself don't find mantra very effective whereas breath is. All methods are just tools to take us beyond.
    Happy experimenting!
    Bhavya

13. DavidFarm

DavidFarm Member

I was watching Youtube clips last night looking for new ideas.

There were some; some of them, tho', I think, STILL get lost in the minutiae. That is to say,you should do this, do that an do the other....

Loose fitting clothes I guess is sensible enouigh but I recall being told to meditate at the same time each day when I was trying to learn my years ago. This hardly encourages a relaxed approach, it is (IMO) the last thing to tell to newbies.

You should meditate when you bloody well want to!!

Its a bit like when I was training for the Institute of Advanced Motorists exam (which I flunked, BTW). The lessons just go too far....you should have both hands on he wheel when stationary in traffic.

I didn't retake the test for that reason.