1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Coming back to meditaton.......!

Discussion in 'START HERE: Registration & Introductions' started by DavidFarm, May 22, 2011.

1. DavidFarm

DavidFarm Member

Hi,

My name's David.

I investigated mediation origionally years ago when I was in my 20's. I'm now returnng to it, feeling it could be very benefitial on many levels.

I've started with a simple breathing meditation and wwas impressed with the results!

I wonder if any one can recommend a way of building on the technique+tips?

many thanks

David

2. Ramai

Ramai Member

Hi David,

Welcome to the community and back to meditation :)
    You may want to start with the free Discover Meditation course offered on this site. It’s excellent.
    Also, you might want to have a look at this helpful and informative thread:

http://www.project-meditation.org/c...nciples-meditation-entrainment.html#post12298

If you have any questions the people here are always glad to help. I wish you all the best on your journey.:)

Ramai

3. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi David and welcome to the Project Meditation community,

Ramai is spot on with the answer, so I don't feel a need to any anything other than welcoming you.

Hugs

Giles

4. DavidFarm

DavidFarm Member

Thanks both (also to the helpful person who has just helped me in here).

I look up these links. :)

5. DavidFarm

DavidFarm Member

Thanks for the replies and links. :)

6. DavidFarm

DavidFarm Member

I'm interested in taking my meditation to a greater level.

The donwloads interest me but I have concerns about meditating using an external source .......focusing on breathing you are always in control.

Where have I gone wrong here?

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  7. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi David,

There's nothing to say you've gone wrong, so I'm curious why you believe that?

And why do you consider the meditation offered in Michaels teachings to be an "external source"? Meditating on a mantra is something that you do internally, just letting the mantra flow by itself and placing your awareness on it. It's a tool to assist in quietening the thoughts and external focuses, allowing the meditation experience to go deeper than some other techniques.

Focusing on the breath, may make you feel like you are in control, but that feeling of control is something that your mind is generating and that can actually prevent you from getting into a deep state of meditation. Don't get me wrong, it is a form of meditation in itself, though not typically recognised as a means to get in as deep a state as other techniques, such as mantra meditation, and before you think I'm being biased in some way, I do guided meditations and breathing meditations, and contemplative meditations myself as well as mantra meditation. From personal experience of using different forms, it is the mantra meditation I have found to be the deepest.

Please, feel free to express your concerns, and people on here may be able to help you understand and alleviate those.

Hugs

Giles

8. DavidFarm

DavidFarm Member

Thanks you, that was the intention, tho' I think I expressed myself poorly.......apologies!

I was trying to express a concern I felt might be typical of someone at my stage or level of meditation.

9. Karmoh

Karmoh Member

Hi David,

If you try and remember that, we are all beginners. Every day I sit in meditation it’s with a child’s or beginners mind, I expect nothing and simply watch what happens, but I must highlight that there is no need to expect positive results as this can create unneeded pressure and take away the true experience. Meditation is about unlocking the door to release our true nature.

Peace :)

10. Bryan555

Bryan555 Member

Interesting discussion. But I'm puzzled by something Giles said. He maintains that the control we get from focusing on breath ..."is something the mind is generating". I don't see how this is somehow different, or worse, than focusing on a mantra: which, obviously, the mind is also generating.

Perhaps I missed the point, somehow? I don't see any "hierarchy" between these two systems, both created by the conscious mind.

11. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi Bryan,

With breathing meditation the focus of the mind is put on the breath, focusing on the in breath and out breath etc.
    With the mantra, this starts out in a similar way (yes you start by creating it with the mind), but it's really just a tool to get us into the meditative state, not something that we need to maintain focus on, and it becomes more of an 'awareness' of the mantra flowing however it does, coming and going however it does etc. In some teachings, the mantra is seen as a 'sacred sound' that is a manifestation of creation; of the Oneness, and not something created by the limits of the human mind (and yes I know the mind is part of the Oneness too, but I think you can get the idea).

In short, focusing on the breath is keeping the mind focused on the physical being, whilst having awareness of the mantra allows us to detach from the physical and enter a 'deeper' (for want of a better word) state of meditation.

I hope I managed to explain that so it makes sense. hehe!

Hugs

Giles

12. Bryan555

Bryan555 Member

Thanks, Giles. I do see the point you are making. I just don't happen to agree with it. To me, it seems that you are taking some pains to draw a distinction, without a difference.

I consider focusing on the breath as "just a tool, to get us into the meditative state". Exactly as you describe the mantra.

In my own case, the breath is quite secondary. My primary inward focus is visual. Which, of course, is also created by the conscious mind. And which is also "just a tool, to get us into the meditative state".

Best wishes. The mantra obviously works well for you...but not for everyone...

13. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi Bryan

If you're using the breath in that way, then great, yes you are using it in the same way as others use a mantra.
    Typically, when breathing meditation is taught (and I've been to quite a few classes, including Buddhist classes where breathing meditation is performed at each session), the practice is the maintain a focus on the breath and the teacher, every now and then, reminds the students "if you have lost the focus on the breath, bring it back" (or some such wording). The emphasis is often to keep the focus on the breath and not to just use it as a tool to get to the meditative state like you do.

So, it's not that we disagree, it's that the breathing meditation I see most people doing involved that retaining of focus on the physical. You, on the other hand, have obviously recognised it for the tool it should be.

;)

Hugs

Giles

14. DavidFarm

DavidFarm Member

Thanks Karmoh.

Part of what I like about meditation is that it seem to stop negative thoughts(that frequently seem to plague me!)and often ideas come filtering through instead.

I tried a candle meditiation ysterday.....and nearly fell asleep, so its obviously doing something, although not altogether the right thing on that occassion!

15. DavidFarm

DavidFarm Member

Thanks for the posts guys.

16. Karmoh

Karmoh Member

Hi, Nearly falling asleep can be seen as good, There is a deep open point just before sleep that relates to deep meditation. You were alert enough to notice that you were falling asleep. :)

Candle meditation? is that where you stare at the flame for a certain amount of time, then close your eyes and try and hold the flame image in your minds eye?

17. DavidFarm

DavidFarm Member

Well, not altogether, falling off my chair I think must have allerted the subconcious!

Clearly, though, it was having an effect...

You're asking me?? :)

Actally I didn't, I just watched the flame.

I read afterwrds of visualising the flame. Another moethod to try!

18. Karmoh

Karmoh Member

:DTry the soap opera method, I stared at one once, and fell off my chair, but remained asleep. took 15yrs to wakeup, when i did, I was married with kids, house and garden, oh! I mustn't forget the cat :D:rolleyes:

19. M L K

M L K Member

soap-opera method

Thanks, Karmoh, for the good laugh. :p mlk

20. Anglepen

Anglepen Member

I find my approach agree's with Bryan, I meditate on the breath and find it very rewarding, I have tried many time to use a mantra but I find myself mentally mouthing the words as I say them in my mind, I find this ibcredibly distracting unfortunately, sometimes I've caught myself actually phsically mouthing the words too.

So for me, the breath is what gets me 'switched off' I guess it really doesn't matter what method is used as long as it works for the individual concerned.