1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

College Student Trying Out Something New

Discussion in 'START HERE: Registration & Introductions' started by tscott_87, Dec 20, 2009.

1. tscott_87

tscott_87 Member

Hey all,

My name is Tim. I started off with the 4 CD 'Discover Meditation' course as well as the LifeFlow sample about 3 weeks ago... then started off with LifeFlow 10 about a week and a half ago. I listen to LifeFlow 10 daily in the morning and sometimes to Creative Flow at night before bed.

Must say, I like the relaxation I get from it, as well as better sleep and perhaps a better ability to deal with some situations. I think I started looking at meditation as a result of a really tough semester at college. It may have helped me solve some problems better (maybe), but most of all it helped me just deal with those situations better... knowing I have a lot to do, and to just do those things one at a time without stressing over them.

Recently I've also noticed (perhaps disturbingly) that I may would enjoy a different career from what I'm going into right now - and I'm a senior, going to graduate in May. This may have come as a result of me re-evaluating my current position in life. For whatever reason, the past few meditation sessions have led me to want to create a 'bucketlist' so I start living life more to the fullest. I think I tend to waste away a lot of my time watching TV and playing video games (two things I do enjoy, but it doesn't really help me get to my goals... they are nice things to do in downtime, but I think I do them too much in that downtime). A list such as this would help me focus my time better on things I would enjoy more anyway.

I'm really looking forward to getting to the deeper states of meditation. Really curious about the release of HGH. I like to lift weights quite often, although I'm not very athletic. Wondering if that will have any effect on my physical performance. :)

At any rate, I'm quite pleased with the results I've had so far and look forward to what is to come in the future. Just thought I would post a few beginning results and get acquainted with the community.

Thanks for reading the long post, sorry if any of it seems scatterbrained. Good luck to all!

Tim

2. Coenrad Morgan

Coenrad Morgan Member

Bucket List

Hello Tim,

Tolstoy's, "The death of Ivan Ilyich" is a small book that will make a big difference to you as it is in line with what you are feeling so early on, for him....read and see but his dying thought was, "What if my whole life has been wrong?". This book took a young Navy Sailor to college and beyond, after reading it he wrote a note to himself, "Dear Wayne, don't die with your music still in you", his name is DR Wayne Dyer and because he thought as you are, many of us, MILLIONS, have benefited through his work.

The worst regrets I am told aren't so much the things you did, its what you didn't do........don't find out. I am 40, worked as hard as I could to get up the ladder of my chosen profession, it cost me sleep, week-ends, relationships...and when I got to the top of that ladder in terms of my technical knowledge, it occurred to me, I am not happy, the pressure, sacrifice and blind determination had lead to fatigue and Unipolar Depression, secondly, now that I was finally at the top of my ladder....I could see that it was AGAINST THE WRONG WALL.

No education is ever wasted, many college students wind up in careers they didn't specifically study towards anyhow, what matters is that you set your course based on what you need, what makes you feel good about your life and how it impacts others, be it selling a product, if you can see the value in the product and are convinced that it will help others.....AND YOUR CORE NEED is to say connect with people...you'll do very well, IF you are coming from an authentic inner need, if you are just doing it to earn a living (like most of us), you will at best be average, your heart isnt in it.

Lastly, in Carl Jung's "the stages of life" he says the following - "Thoroughly unprepared we take the step into the afternoon of life; worse still, we take this step with the false assumption that our truths and ideals will serve us as hitherto. But we cannot live the afternoon of life according to the programme of life's morning; for what was great in the morning will be little at evening, and what in the morning was true will at evening become a lie"

Be prepared to alter course throughout life and if the compass your using is your own and not societies, your families...YOUR OWN INNER COMPASS...you'll be fullfilled, no matter where you find yourself because you know where your going to, no one survives life, so dont bother playing safe, just play responsibly as eluded to by one of the greats of English literature who CLEARLY couldn't speak English (this fact and a possible speech impediment - come on, who speaks like that - didnt stop him, whats stopping you) "This above all:To thine own self be true,for it must follow as dost the night the day,that canst not then be false to any man."

Meditation opens you up to more of your brain, and as a result, more inspiration - a word based on words for spirit and within. So think twice, jump once just be clear about what you want, LIVE AUTHENTICALLY and if you do it right you'll get to the end thoroughly banged up, tired and worn, yelling "&%$#@@!!!!! WHAT A RIDE".

Your current confusion is a gift, many of us wake up further down the road than you are.

Keep on Keeping on and enjoy the ride, just meditate to stay on the right road, the one best for who YOU are or want to become, you'll do better and better.

Most Sincerely
    Coenrad

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  3. Edwin

Edwin Member

Well said Bro ! :cool:

4. tscott_87

tscott_87 Member

Wow Coenrad, thanks a lot for your motivation and help. I have downloaded an ebook of The Death of Ivan Ilych, and I will also look at Carl Jung's stages of life soon. That's a new outlook on it... I always think 'Oh boy, here I am again in this "phase" of wanting to do something COMPLETELY different with my life than what I've always thought....'. I've never considered it as being a good thing. Perhaps one of my greatest fears though is being stuck in a job for the rest of my life doing something I hate. My dad is in this situation... it's a "lifeless" way to live (did I just invent a term? :rolleyes:).

I've gone ahead and put some things down that I'd like to do before I die. Hopefully that's a long, long time down the road. But at least I'll be pushing my time towards things I actually want to get from life rather than just wasting it away.

Warm regards,
    Tim

5. Coenrad Morgan

Coenrad Morgan Member

Its all good, even the bad bits - if you learn from them

Thanks Edwin,Tim, no need to thank me, I rely on others here, so in return....I do what I can.

Life, today you have a degree, tomorrow your a father, constant change, impermanence, nothing stays the same, this could lead to unfulfillment and trying to control the world around you, some would say the ultimate "suffering" because it kills your spirit first, then your body.

The above the doorway of the temple of the oracle of Delphi it said something like, "Man know yourself", ironically people went there to be told their future by someone else.(Go figure!)

Most of us react to life, we dont choose, just deal with one thing after another day after day....we live from effect, not cause, not conscious choice mostly because we didnt know any better or didn't have the intestinal fortitude to follow our inner dreams. You would be surprised how much you know about what your good at and will enjoy, think back to your childhood, what drew you like nothing else (maybe in a more general sense like creative activities or martial arts as apposed to specifics like Photography), in there somewhere is something worth spending the rest of your life doing, dreams you had before you started accepting limits....until your teens your in a meditative state often (your first couple of years almost entirely) until your brain matures.

Meditation isnt a magic wand, you still need to do but neither is a torch magic but in the dark its pretty close, meditation is much like that torch, allows you to focus your awareness on a specific aspect of self without the distraction of everything else and opens you to the other Self (note capitals).

If you can get yourself sorted, get yourself focused and not on automatic all the time, you can do things with your life that others distracted by constant mental activity (the vast majority of it repetitive and not useful) will either take longer to accomplish or never, simply because you have a reliable feedback mechanism, how you feel (the messenger), and being able to set emotion aside (once you get the message you dont need the messenger unless you want an ulcer or worse in the case of stress) and let the brain (both sides) work on whats in front of you and compute the best way forward. Here's a fact for you; you as you are now, can process about
    2000 bits of data using the conscious left brain (not that conscious, tell me what your next thought is going to be, or the one after that?) - the seeking mechanism which keeps us alive but drives us crazy - your subconscious mind can process somewhere around 40 000 000 000 bits per second but it is not user friendly and interactive, Carl Yung speculated on a Shared or super conscious mind, capability "n" - large undefined integer.

You want to do something worth while and amazing with your life, study and master you.....you'll be amazed at what an extra 40 Billion bits per second can do for your health, wealth and happiness, IF YOU TAKE THE TROUBLE TO LEARN TO CONTACT IT, UNDERSTAND THAT ITS LITERAL (no sense of humour) AND THINKS IN PICTURES. An example, I was driving last year, my life started its self destruct sequence, I uttered with intent, conviction AND emotion (if you read Gregg Braden's the lost mode of prayer, you will know that what was coming was on request)- "I NEED A BREAK THROUGH" seconds later a rock was thrown off a bridge and through my wind shield....:mad: it immediately registered what had happened and I stopped myself from telling my subconscious that it was a pain in the ass, I didnt need a second demonstration, :D this was not an isolated example.

Meditation doesn't change your life, it changes you (by 40 Billion bits +) then you use that to change your life.....

I would normally use a quote from one of the famous wise guy's but there's this cat in a hat guy who has just the thing I should have paid attention to at your age:

"Congratulations! Today is your day. You’re off to Great Places! You’re off and away!

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the guy who’ll decide where to go.

You’ll look up and down streets. Look ‘em over with care. About some you will say, “I don’t choose to go there.” With your head full of brains and your shoes full of feet, you’re too smart to go down any not-so-good street.

And you may not find any you’ll want to go down. In that case, of course, you’ll head straight out of town.

It’s opener there in the wide open air.

Out there things can happen and frequently do to people as brainy and footsy as you.

And when things start to happen, don’t worry. Don’t stew. Just go right along. You’ll start happening too.

OH! THE PLACES YOU’LL GO!

You’ll be on your way up! You’ll be seeing great sights! You’ll join the high fliers who soar to high heights.

You won’t lag behind, because you’ll have the speed. You’ll pass the whole gang and you’ll soon take the lead. Wherever you fly, you’ll be the best of the best. Wherever you go, you will top all the rest.

Except when you don’t Because, sometimes, you won’t.

I’m sorry to say so but, sadly, it’s true and Hang-ups can happen to you.

You can get all hung up in a prickle-ly perch. And your gang will fly on. You’ll be left in a Lurch.

You’ll come down from the Lurch with an unpleasant bump. And the chances are, then, that you’ll be in a Slump.

And when you’re in a Slump, you’re not in for much fun. Un-slumping yourself is not easily done.

You will come to a place where the streets are not marked. Some windows are lighted. But mostly they’re darked. A place you could sprain both your elbow and chin! Do you dare to stay out? Do you dare to go in? How much can you lose? How much can you win?

And IF you go in, should you turn left or right… or right-and-three-quarters? Or, maybe, not quite? Or go around back and sneak in from behind? Simple it’s not, I’m afraid you will find, for a mind-maker-upper to make up his mind.

You can get so confused that you’ll start in to race down long wiggled roads at a break-necking pace and grind on for miles across weirdish wild space, headed, I fear, toward a most useless place. The Waiting Place…

…for people just waiting. Waiting for a train to go or a bus to come, or a plane to go or the mail to come, or the rain to go or the phone to ring, or the snow to snow or waiting around for a Yes or a No or waiting for their hair to grow. Everyone is just waiting.

Waiting for the fish to bite or waiting for wind to fly a kite or waiting around for Friday night or waiting, perhaps, for their Uncle Jake or a pot to boil, or a Better Break or a string of pearls, or a pair of pants or a wig with curls, or Another Chance. Everyone is just waiting.

NO! That’s not for you!

Somehow you’ll escape all that waiting and staying. You’ll find the bright places where Boom Bands are playing.

With banner flip-flapping, once more you’ll ride high! Ready for anything under the sky. Ready because you’re that kind of a guy!

Oh, the places you’ll go! There is fun to be done! There are points to be scored. there are games to be won. And the magical things you can do with that ball will make you the winning-est winner of all. Fame! You’ll be famous as famous can be, with the whole wide world watching you win on TV.

Except when they don’t. Because, sometimes, they won’t.

I’m afraid that some times you’ll play lonely games too. Games you can’t win ’cause you’ll play against you.

All Alone! Whether you like it or not, Alone will be something you’ll be quite a lot.

And when you’re alone, there’s a very good chance you’ll meet things that scare you right out of your pants. There are some, down the road between hither and yon, that can scare you so much you won’t want to go on.

But on you will go though the weather be foul On you will go though your enemies prowl On you will go though the Hakken-Kraks howl Onward up many a frightening creek, though your arms may get sore and your sneakers may leak.

On and on you will hike and I know you’ll hike far and face up to your problems whatever they are.

You’ll get mixed up, of course, as you already know. You’ll get mixed up with many strange birds as you go. So be sure when you step. Step with care and great tact and remember that Life’s a Great Balancing Act. Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. And never mix up your right foot with your left.

And will you succeed? Yes! You will, indeed! (98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)

KID, YOU’LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!"

Now stop reading this nonsense and go get 'em....You have brains in your head (both left and right working in sync if you meditate consistently). You have feet in your shoes (or not, who cares....nice to feel the sand or mud squish between the toes sometimes - so why not) You can steer yourself any direction you choose.(there are no mistakes, only detours, some painfull, some not) You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the guy who’ll decide where to go and when you get there, somewhere else - every day in every way, getting better, better and better! remember, think twice, do once / properly - less regrets that way.

wishing you YOUR kind of success, what ever that may be for you. I always told my students the following, it has served some of them well, Follow your heart and use your head, NEVER the other way around, that leads to regret.
    Most Sincerely
    Coenrad

6. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Wow, Coenrad - YOU TRULY HAVE AN AMAZING GIFT - thankyou for such inspiration. This one is definately being added to my precious journal. I wish you an abundance of peace and joy my friend :) :) :)

7. tscott_87

tscott_87 Member

Pollyanna is right on the spot. Coenrad, your help has been really great.

I've already read The Death of Ivan Ilych last night and it was very helpful. To see the perspective that we all must face death, yet none of us ever think about it until... well it's right upon us is quite an eye-opener. This as a result makes us go through life doing meaningless things perhaps to look good to others or maybe just to cover up what we don't want to look at. In any case, we go through life and only at the end do we see how meaningless a lot of the stuff we did was (like working at a job we hate, trying to buy stuff to look good to others rather than us really needing something, etc.). By observing now, we can figure out what we really want to do with our lives rather than wait until it is too late. And my meditation is helping me to slowly better understand this truth. It is helping to open my eyes... to better understand myself.

Thanks a lot for your insights of wisdom. They help a lot!

Tim

8. Bhavya

Bhavya Member

I'll add my voice to the chorus. Spot on!
    Coenrad, you made my day. Thanks!
    Much love to you
    Bhavya

9. Coenrad Morgan

Coenrad Morgan Member

Lessons from Kung Fu Panda

Thank You e-Mamma,Bhayya, long time.....GOOD to hear from you.

Tim, your never going to make it out of life alive, so might as well "BE ALL YOU CAN BE!" because in fact, YOU ALREADY ARE IT ALL.....and as you correctly stated, your meditation has started uncovering what is, always has been, its just been masked by the illusions of society and us fitting in.

Some parting advice from a fellow traveler from one of my favorite movies, "Way of the Peacefull Warrior" from the book by Dan Millman is relevant to your oservations shared above "If you don't get what you want, you suffer; if you get what you don't want, you suffer; even when you get exactly what you want, you still suffer because you can't hold on to it forever. Your mind is your predicament. It wants to be free of change. Free of pain, free of the obligations of life and death. But change is a law, and no amount of pretending will alter that reality."

"Legend tells of a legendary warrior whose kung fu skills were the stuff of legend." .....you may be next...

As for the words of thanks, "There is no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness":D, I need to think to write and therefore it is you who have done me a service.

As for what you said about us projecting......2 thumbs up and a toe (sorry, need the other toe to stand on,)

As for the rest, "Oogway: Quit, don't quit? Noodles, don't noodles? You are too concerned about what was and what will be. There is a saying: yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the "present."

Keep on, keeping on Tim. ~"When you begin your transcendental training, focusing your best efforts, without attachment to outcomes, you will understand the peaceful warrior's way." Dan Millman

P.S - if you ever come across the secret of the Wuxi finger hold....you let me know, got a little something to settle with Chris063 AND I AM GOING to need the secret.

PROMISE YOURSELF NOT TO BE ANOTHER IVAN ILYICH - LIVE!!!Now shooo, lifes out there not in here...go chase a dream or 2 :D

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  10. chris063

chris063 Member

My Dearest Mr Morgan,

Your Great and Gifted Talent for writing the most amazingly wonderful, helpful, supportive and ENCOURAGING replies can be in no doubt, in fact, the MANY words of Wisdom and sound advice that you are able to offer so fluidly have shed so much Light on my own path that I KNOW first-hand what incredibly valuable guidance your Words provide on how to live and tackle Life in general, but, there is one thing mentioned here that I must take issue with....you mention the Wuxi Finger Hold.....

IN YOUR DREAMS, MR MORGAN, IN YOUR DREAMS!!!!!

X

11. Edwin

Edwin Member

The wuxi finger hold can not be taught. It can only be figured out by a true Kung Fu specialist.

But I would gladly demonstrate it on you :p

Good to have you around Coenrad !

12. Coenrad Morgan

Coenrad Morgan Member

I'm gonna tell Jodie

:eek:

*gulp* It is said that the WFH makes quite a mess, Jodie is SOOO going to be upset to have to clean the site up after you've demonstrated it....so erm, for that reason :D and that reason only, I think I'll pass. Thanks for the offer Edwin (I think)

As for Chris....Einstein, once said, "Imagination is more powerful than knowledge," and as since I started using Life Flow I am dreaming again (or conscious of it) its only a matter of time until the secret it mine. :cool:

13. chris063

chris063 Member

:) Einstein was of course a very wise man, probably far more so than a great many people realise. He knew that it is our thoughts which create the Universe, NOT the other way around :)

Yes, I too have found myself more conscious of my Dreams since using LifeFlow :) So Kung Fu Master, or the Master of our Dreams, which ever it is to be, the Race to the Secret is still Wiiiiide Open!!! :D

14. Itlandm

Itlandm Member

More aspiring writers... I feel like I am present at the birth of a writer's club. Perhaps one day I will be able to say:
    "I was there when those guys started their writing career. They made fun of me for my brevity, but look at us now. They are rich and famous, but I am still brief."

15. Ta-tsu-wa

Ta-tsu-wa Member

Hope I did not give you an incorrect impression, Itlandm. My remarks about your writing were meant as a genuine compliment, not as a jest. You have a rare gift for taking wildly complex concepts and not only making them intelligible to others but doing it in very few words. Every time I read one of your posts I think to myself, "Now why I couldn't I explain it like that?"

16. Coenrad Morgan

Coenrad Morgan Member

Brevity and dietary fibre

"Are you gonna pull them pistols or whistle dixie?" ~ The outlaw Jessie Wales

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  17. chris063

chris063 Member

Just as some people like to speak briefly and to the point, so do some people like to speak elaborately and illustrate their points, so it must be with writing and also reading, I see nothing wrong with either style or anything inbetween, the differences, as with every individual, are surely something to celebrate!

Peace and Love to you all

Chris

18. Edwin

Edwin Member

I second that.

I have in fact been playing with the idea of us all writing a book.
    What the book should be about I don't exactly know yet, meditation seems the obvious choice :p.
    Maybe everybody can write a chapter, and an editor can make stories match into a build up, or something like that.

Meditation, LoA, enlightenment, these are all things that frequently come up inhere. People have questions.

Maybe the book can be given as a free download gift for new members who purchase the LifeFlow series, maybe we all get filthy rich by selling it, who knows. But the aim of the book should not be personal wealth for the writers, but actually helping people realise a better life.

I am quite convinced that there is a lot of expertise here in this community, that other people can benefit from.
    Maybe Michael can help out by sending some of the members that are not that frequent visitors ( like Montana Keith ) anymore, an invitation to join forces.

Or you might think that I am talking nonsense and am too ambitious ;)

19. Itlandm

Itlandm Member

I'm just having fun with y'all. When someone truly understands something, they can explain it either in a few words or they can go on talking about it all day, depending on the need of the audience.

(And if that sounds familiar, I picked it up from Ryuho Okawa, author of a little over 500 books so far...)

20. Coenrad Morgan

Coenrad Morgan Member

Edwin, Uncle Keith would like that, he suggested the same about a year ago and was VERY enthusiastic about it, it would be good to have Montana Keith back and there are those like yourself, Itlandm, Ta-tsu-wa who are enthusiastic and competent enough writers to pull that off even if its a sticky thread with each being given a topic which is posted once reviewed, edited etc.

As moderator, you have the red telephone to "the man" and i KNOW that you can press buttons.....eendragt maakt magt....just find a way to get Uncle Keith back, he is missed.