1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

CDs better than MPEGs?

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by steevo619, Aug 25, 2013.

1. steevo619

steevo619 Member

I know that MPEGs (or MP3s or whatever) often are compressed or otherwise different than CDs. Is that the case with LifeFlow? Especially considering the technology involved in binaural beats and such, I've been wondering about this.

Also, related to this, are there any settings in iTunes I should be aware of to maximize my experience when using the MPEGs? Here's what the Info page in my iTunes says (I don't know how many of these I have control over, but I thought I'd list them anyway):

Kind: MPEG audio file; Size: 55 MB; Bit Rate: 192 kbps; Sample Rate: 44.100 kHz; Volume: -1.0 dB; Format: MPEG-1, Layer 3; Channels: Joint Stereo; ID3 Tag: v2.3; Encoded with: unknown

Thanks!

2. GilesC

GilesC Member

In terms of the effectiveness of the entrainment beats between the two, there's no difference. Michael has 'mastered' the tracks so that the beats are effective on both MP3 and CD.

In terms of your players settings, it should not do any changes to the sound such as altering the Bass, Treble or suchlike, or if it has a "movie" setting or something like that, it should be turned off. You want the sounds to be played as they were recorded without any enhancement from the player or headphones.

Hugs

Giles

3. steevo619

steevo619 Member

Thank you so much for this, Giles. Do you know if there is a quick way to check if my iTunes is doing any of this?

4. GilesC

GilesC Member

I don't personally use ITunes, so I couldn't say.
    Most software or players have features or tools that let you look at things like graphic equalizers or settings to change the sound for "Movies" or "Easy Listening" etc. Have a look around it and whatever you find just ensure it's set to "Normal" (or the equivalent) so that it's not trying to alter the tracks in any way.
    Alternatively, take the MP3's and burn them to CD's and listen to the CD's from a normal CD player instead where you'll usually have physical controls that you can set to normal settings.

Hugs

Giles

5. steevo619

steevo619 Member

Ah—found it (the equalizer, that is)! It was on "flat" which I think is good.

Thanks for all of the help!!!