1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Can't focus?

Discussion in 'START HERE: Registration & Introductions' started by lonely_ones, Oct 23, 2008.

1. lonely_ones

lonely_ones Member

Hey!
    I have a problem...If any of you could give me suggestions that would be great!
    When I'm trying to focus on my mantra I always worry about if I'm breathing properly (Inhale nose, Exhale mouth) or if my back is straight, and I get really uncomfortable and instead focus on that.
    Is is really important to breath that way and can you meditate lying down?Thanks! :)

2. chris063

chris063 Member

Hi lonely_ones, I'd be interested to hear what advice people can give on this one because I am having problems with following my breath or repeating a mantra now. I'm finding that my breathing is becoming so uncomfortable and my chest feels so tight that that is what I am focussing on, and I am getting really fidgety and uncomfortable as well!

3. Montana Keith

Montana Keith Member

Hello

Chris,
    You mentioned about recently experiencing a "tightness" in your chest while meditating. I think I read somewhere on this forum, or in one of Michael's newsletters, that it isn't uncommon for the process of meditation to start freeing up some "stuck places" in our lives. A while back, I was experiencing a "tightness" in my chest quite often. I think it was a physical "manifestation" of some of the issues in my life that I wasn't in a position to "allow" and "let-go" until then. He suggested that The Sedona Method might be a useful process for getting those stuck places to loosen up and move. Realizing that there are literally thousands of techniques and processes out their to assist us in "broadening our perspective" and "deepening our understanding" so that we become more aware, I offer three that have proven useful to me over these past 10+ years.

The first is hardiness training. The Hardiness Institute website is: hardiness online : welcome

The next is focusing. This process is described the Focusing Institute website: The Focusing Institute

The latest process that I'm finding useful--and that was suggested by Michael--is "The Sedona Method." Here's their website: Sedona Method (official site) The Secret self-help program; self-improvement technique

I purchased The Sedona Method CD's and have been listening to them on my drive to and from work. Referring to the tightness in your chest--or any other thoughts, feeling, or images that may be coming up--The Sedona Method would say:

"I want you to aware of any thoughts, feelings, pictures, images, etc. that this is bringing up. And just 'for this moment' could you allow them to be just as they are without any shunning or judgment or trying to change."

MY FINAL THOUGHTS: I think that meditation is helping us all to become more aware. Some of the associated bodily sensations we are experiencing are all just part of the process. Notice them, sit back and smile, AND "for this moment" and to the best of your ability, simply allow them to be just as they are.

I don't know if this is helpful, but I thought it might. Take care. --Keith :)

4. bashmaki

bashmaki Member

Keith has given many suggestions of other programs that will help one with the process of opening. I've not used any of these but also notice some of the issues you speak of.

Many times, before one of the sub/unconcious thoughts rise to the surface, I feel warm (almost hot) or many times a tightness in my arms or shoulders for a few sessions before the old thought actually surfaces.

The warmness I just experience it for what it is (a precursore) to progress.

The tightness I seem to notice and just let go of it and relax. It always passes once the thought has risen to the surface.

It seems to take a few days of this but always these episodes are followed by the thought of an old experience that has been shoved back into the recesses of the mind.

If you are newcomers to meditation you must be patient with yourselves and your unruly mind. Your mind will try anything to keep you from being still.

If you are saying your mantra and lose track of your breath just be aware of that fact and pick the breath back up again. THAT is improvement! :)

Remember to let your breath come naturally. I think one has a tendancy, in the beginning, to breath in a pronounced fashion because of the effort in concentrating on the breath. Make sure the effort is on concentration and not breathing. Breathing comes naturally. When one concentrates on the breath it seems more labored also.

Do this experiment as an example: Sit with your eyes closed and concentrate on your throat. Now swallow once. Notice how labored it seems when you are concentrating on it. Yet you swallow many times during the course of a day and never notice it.:confused: The breath is no different.;)

It will all come in time. Don't beat yourself up. Remember, if you are sitting in meditation you are the Buddha, Christ or Krishna. They all sat where you are at this moment.

gus

5. chris063

chris063 Member

Thank you Keith and Gus for your replies and very helpful suggestions. I will certainly look further into this and try out a few things to see if they make a difference. The sensations aren't preventing me feeling benefits from listening to Lifeflow because I do already feel a sense of calm and general peacefulness, but I would like to feel better while actually meditating!

Take care and many thanks again to you both.

Chris :)

6. chris063

chris063 Member

Hi Keith,

I had a look at The Focusing Institute website, it is fascinating and follows on nicely from something I was reading just a week ago about the innate wisdom and intelligence of the body.

On the website there are "Instructions for Not Following Instructions". I hope it is ok for me to post a quote from that, because it is something which really struck a chord with me:

"Adopt a "split-level" approach to all instructions: On the one hand follow the instructions exactly, so that you can discover the experiences to which they point. On the other hand be sensitive to yourself and your own body. Assume that only sound expansive experiences are worth having. The moment doing it feels wrong in your body, stop following the instruction, and back up slightly. Stay there with your attention until you can sense exactly what is going wrong."

I love it!! :)