1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Can someone explain this quote?

Discussion in 'Mind, Body & Spirit' started by CatB, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Karmoh

Karmoh Member

Hi Bryan,

The correct term for most downloaded audio is MP3's :)

2. CatB

CatB Member

Bryan-

I would like to try them out but I think when I looked into them, the price was a bit steep for me. Are there smaller versions that are less expensive that you can buy?

Also, are there options with LifeFlow for shorter sitting times, too?

Thanks so much for all your help and replies :)

3. Bryan555

Bryan555 Member

Hi CatB...

Actually, you have several good options. Here at LifeFlow, they have a free sample, which runs, I think, about 14 minutes. (And I can tell you a bit later how to make it any length). Also free meditation lessons and "guided meditations". Plus, it seems to me that Michael puts out special offers quite regularly: with several bonus tracks for the price of one.

If your sitting time -- at least for the moment -- is short, then the free sample should work well for you. It's available for download at the top of the homepage.

You should also find the free Audacity player on the internet, and download it. Audacity basically "turns anything into anything". You can make a 14-minute track play for 28 minutes, or 42, or pretty much whatever. And you can make a 1-hour track play for 20 minutes. It's wonderful. Has a spectograph, too, so you can actually "see" the tracks you are playing.

Good luck, and feel free to ask anything else...

To Karmoh...

Yeah, you can say MP3 if you actually use MP3's, which I guess most people do. I like the "lossless" format, FLAC, much better. So I'm still at a bit of a loss on what to call them. In my note above, I used "tracks", which is a throwback too, I believe? Anyway, much thanks...

4. CatB

CatB Member

Bryan,

Once again, thank you for your kindness. I actually did download the free 14minute LifeFlow, but I would be really interested in learning how to extend that so I will look into Audacity. Do you need to be totally computer literate to do this or is it pretty basic? :)

Also, I know in the intro to LifeFlow that they talk about starting with Level 10, then working your way down. Is the 14 minute sample a Level 10, do you know?

Yes, right now my sitting time is about 15 minutes, so this should work well. Do you use the LifeFlow downloads every time you meditate? Have you meditated without them, and if so, how does each meditation differ for you?

Also, I am wondering if finances are an issue right now, would it be beneficial (or even possible) to but one "level" at a time, since they recommned staying at each level for about 2 months?

5. Bryan555

Bryan555 Member

Hi again, CatB...

Last question first: Yes, indeed, LifeFlow is available one level at a time. In fact, that is the common method of purchasing it. The sample is NOT the same as LF10, and I am not sure what vibration "level" it is. Somebody else here might know that. Oddly, have never seen that question before. I'm guessing it's in the "alpha" range: 8-12 Hz.

Audacity is quite simple to use. You don't need to be a "geek" to figure it out, but it wouldn't hurt to have someone who knows their way around that stuff. I did it myself...but consulted the "Help" section a bit.

I usually meditate using LifeFlow, as much for the timing -- and the way it screens out all the outside noise and disturbance -- as the actual "brain entrainment" element. It is a wonderful "cocoon" for meditation!

There are lots of experienced meditators here to advise you on the broader areas of your "sitting". I assume you are a relative beginner? In that case, 15 minutes is a fine start, perhaps twice a day, if you can manage it. The main thing, by far, is regular practice. In time, your sittings will lengthen and deepen.

My best advice: Just let it come to you. Don't go searching for exotic experiences. Let yourself unfold, to yourself, so to speak. And you'll be fine.

Hope this helps...

6. CatB

CatB Member

To answer your question, yes, I am relatively new to all this. I started by trying to become more "mindful" in my everyday life (I thoroughly devoured JKZinn's book, "Wherever You Go, There You Are" and still try to read it once a year, to this day). Formal sitting is much newer to me, maybe the last 4-5 months.

I still struggle with beginner's challenges, like wondering "am I doing this right, why isn't anything happening, why do I still get so frustrated, etc"...all of which I know I need to let go of....working on that.

I am wondering if there is anything "wrong" with meditating occasioanlly using LifeFlow and sometimes not, just to see if one feels more natural and comfortable to me?

7. Bryan555

Bryan555 Member

Hi CatB...

Others may have different opinions about that. For me, there is absolutely nothing "wrong" with switching back and forth from LifeFlow to "normal" meditation.

Sure, you have to experiment with various things, to see what's more natural and comfortable. That's true of mantras, mudras, sitting positions and lots of other things, too. Heck, Karmoh sits on a special Burmese pillow with a name I can't even pronounce. Meditation is as individual as we are.

Just relax, settle into it, don't worry about right and wrong, and definitely don't get frustrated. Everything will work out fine.

8. CatB

CatB Member

Thanks, Bryan...you have truly been an inspiration in your approach to this whole (sometimes overwhelming!) subject.

Thank you for your kindness and thoughtful replies :)