1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Busy mind

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by pollyanna, Oct 20, 2009.

1. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

If you experience many thoughts when you begin to meditate, the key is to allow and accept the thoughts to be there - you don't need to get involved with them and you certainly don't need to question, beat yourself up or wonder whether you are doing it right or not.

If you try to push the thoughts away you will focus on them and they will become even more prominent. Just allow them to be there and gently return to your mantra or breathing.

Most of us have not been accustomed to a quiet mind for so long - with a little practice you'll find how amazing this space really is - I wish you an abundance of peace and joy :) :) :)

2. aussie

aussie Member

I'll ditto that an can say it sure worked for me
    thanks polly :D

3. suekerr

suekerr Member

unwanted visitors

A friend told me this great technique to deal with unwanted thoughts.

Threat them like unwanted visitors. When they knock on your door, just say "sorry, it's really not a good time for visitors right now." And gently close the door. They will come knocking again, but just keep telling them it's not a good time, and eventually they'll get the message and stop bugging you.

I also use this technique for worries or nagging things I need to deal with. When the thought or worry comes into my mind, I say to it "Yes, I know I need to deal with you, but now's not a good time. Let's make an appointment for tomorrow. See you then."

These techniques have saved me hours and hours of mental chatter and anxiety. I feel so much more in control of what's going on in my mind.

Sue

4. Franz

Franz Member

Funny that you bring this up Pollyanna. I was just thinking about this the other day. I used to try and quiet my mind all the time as if I could control the voice in my head. I had no success with this approach and it felt as though I just had two voices in my head argueing until I did what you said and just accepted it. I started to just listen with no judgement. I listened to the words and didn't try to stop the chatter or judge each thought that came as right or wrong or anything. Hearing the voice started becoming more difficult and at that point I figured out why. When you listen, the voice naturaly becomes quiet. I was having a hard time because the voice wasn't there any longer or would maybe say a word or two and that's it.

I noticed when I listened, the space between my thoughts and me became more prominent because the more I just listened with no judgement, the more I realized I was the one listening, not the voice.

My mind can be racing or can be silence. In either situation as long as I know I am the one observing, the thoughts don't seem to get to me. If they do my emotional guidance system will send me the message in the form of a negative emotion to say "hey, get back on track". Then I just observe and create space again. It feels really good to be free from your thoughts. Not to stop thought, but to be free from them.

Also I like to look at my thought as being my friend. There seems to be so much interest in making thought the enemy but I approach it differently. We all have friends we care about but would not take advice from because their judgement is off. Imagine your thought being that over protective friend that doesn't want anything to happen to you. He/she will jump up and try to fix anything he/she perceives as negative for you and try to resolve it with 100% of their effort. They mean well but you know they can be off with their advice but in the end, they are just trying to protect you. Your thought is the same. It only wants to protect you. This is why it dwells in the negative because it believes that anything negative that springs up in your life may harm you and its job is to protect you and main priority is your survival. Thought is your friend. Let he/she/it know that there is no need to worry and hard times are over and it is time to relaxe and enjoy life. The way to do this is by listening to create space so you can distinguish the good advice from the advice that means well and is their to protect you but is incorrect. Once you truely know and feel that the advice it is giving you means well but is incorrect, you will notice it because the voice will naturally quiet down with no effort. Again, meditate and become familiar with the observer, the real you.

Becoming familiar with observer by listening to your thoughts=space
    space=less attachment to thoughts
    less attachments to thoughts=peaceful silence

Wow I kinda went on a tangent there. Back to work. Talk to you soon. :)

5. seatrend8899

seatrend8899 Member

friends/thoughts that care....but.....

Hi Franz,

Excellent, excellent post...................:) :). Real glad to have ya on this forum.........:):)

shine on :) :)

jim

6. Edwin

Edwin Member

This is generally referred to as "enlightenment" by the way :cool:

Just so you know Polly and Franz... :cool: Well done !

7. Franz

Franz Member

Thank you seatrend. I have learned so much from everyone here on this forum. I've only been meditating for a short amount of time but it feels like LifeFlow and the insights from everyone here have helped quite a bit.

Thanks Edwin. Is this what enlightement is? I remember reading a post from you like a month and a half ago on enlightenment. If this is a taste of what it is then I am so excited to learn more.

Hope everyone has an awesome weekend! :)

8. seatrend8899

seatrend8899 Member

Thank you Franz. I am still a newbie even though I am on level 6 (I spend 2 months on each level). I switched from the chair to the bed at level 8 and I seem to usually fall asleep as my night rest lacks in duration lately. The key though is that I absolutely love the total relaxed body feeling. However, I always become aware a few minutes before the 40 minutes end. It is wild how my muscles are so relaxed and to just slowly "begin to bring them online" after my sessions and feel their oxygen need slowly increase is really "cool".
    I am hoping that the LifeFlow support team can make available a download of an mp3 that starts with 3 minutes of silence followed by the gratitude music track. That would allow my session end to have a superb ending as "my body comes back online" after the awesome deep rest that it gets from the LifeFlow entrainment. And to think...with that deep rest that i get in the middle of theta (level 7 entrainment level) the next levels will be even deeper.

Have a superb weekend Franz!

shine on :) :)

jim

9. GilesC

GilesC Member

I agree, some people do talk as if thoughts are our enemy and we shouldn't have them.

The key is, whether through meditation or otherwise, to come to recognise that the thoughts are not us; the thoughts do not control us; we in fact create the thoughts for our own use. Our true Self is the one true thing and the mind and thoughts are our tools. Our true Self is in control of the mind and thoughts, not the other way around as is commonly perceived by many.

Hugs

Giles

10. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi there, been away a couple of days - it's really interesting to read everyone's perspective in this thread. The topic of unwanted thoughts, enemy and/or friendly thoughts has come up before, I'm sure.

The way I perceive it to be is this. Until we realise, most of us just go round on automatic. Our sub-conscious is like a giant computer, storing every experience and the way we react to it. All of these are filed away in a huge storage system.

How we put one foot in front of the other and create the correct balance to enable us to walk is just one of millions of helpful patterns in the filing system. We use myriads of these systems everyday to operate in the way we need to do.

We have more files which contain fears and worries we've developed etc. and we also have files we have done our best to lock away because they include painful memories. Often, we use ways to try to distract ourselves so that we don't have to deal with them. The list goes on and on.

Have you ever noticed the power of adverts? If you hear the McDonalds tune (du du du du du) they are programming you to react with the following slogan "I'm lovin it"
    You can think of a number of them I'm sure, like:-

A mars a day......... helps you work, rest and play
    And for some of us older ones:-
    The Esso sign.......... means happy motoring

Then there's the media. We all know that bad news sells unfortunately and so do the magazines full of gossip. The violent scenes and horror shown on the T.V. all get stored too and as Eckhart suggests, they feed the pain bodies.

When you feel thankful you create loving and joyful files - when you feel sorry for yourself etc. you create victim files.

Many files were created when we were too young to determine whether this was a file that would empower or restrict our life and we relied on people of authority to determine this for us.

What's more, we didn't, at that time, even realise that we were only creating files - we thought these were truths - yet most of them probably came from people who didn't realise that they were going round on automatic too.

Becoming aware of all this allows us to act in a conscious and responsible way. Meditation allows you to enter the vault, unclutter and release the restricting files, keep the helpful ones and choose more knowingly what to add to the existing ones - and this is truly liberating.

I wish you much peace and joy :) :) :)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  11. beth

beth Member

Thanx for this pollyana am going to file with michaels emails lots of love from beth XX

12. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Avec Plaisir Beth

Your most welcome Beth - I think it's a good idea to file any reports and issues of the good life together - that way, you'll always have them to refer to. Also, it's a bit like watching a good film a second time - you see and hear things that you missed the first time. I wish you continued peace and joy on your incredible journey :) :) :)