1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Breathing while meditation

Discussion in 'START HERE: Registration & Introductions' started by mbsathya, Dec 22, 2008.

1. mbsathya

mbsathya Member

Hi All,

I have yet to use the Cd's as i have some problem with my internet download.

I have few question. Request any to answer.

I was doing meditation for sometime.While meditating I realised that my breathing is not normal actual it is stopping. due to which it becomes uncomfortable.

Please suggest me how to tackle this

Regards,
    Sathya

2. Grey

Grey Member

instead of using a word as a mantra count your breaths as your mantra. this will help keep breathing more regular though it is natural for there to be some variations so do not get overly obsessed when it happens.

i focus better if i count backwards from 10 to 1 and then start over again. the backwards counting helps me to pay more attention to my counting instead of drifting off into absentmindedness.

3. bashmaki

bashmaki Member

Grey & Sathya,
    I start drifting off my chair sometimes. I mean I catch myself tipping because I've drifted oofff . . . to . . . almost asleep. I often wonder what it would feel like to have the floor wake me!

gus

4. Bhavya

Bhavya Member

Trust yourself, trust your body

Hi Sathya
    Breathing slows down and can become almost imperceptible which can alarm the thinking mind :)eek: I'm not breathing!!) When fear steps in, the mind is in too gross a state to apprehend the subtle breath.
    This happened to me too til I realised that the body always knows how to take care of itself, automatically.

Just take a few deep breaths and let go of tension and discomfort on the outbreath and then let your breath return to normal. And trust. :)
    You'll be fine!
    Bhavya:)

5. Edwin

Edwin Member

Just like Bhavya said, during meditation, due to the intensely deep relaxation of body and mind, your bodycells start functioning way better. People think the body slows down during meditation, but in fact, it keeps working at the same pace, only very efficiently.

Because of that, it needs less fuel ( i.e. food ) to burn ( with the help of oxygen ) in order to get the same tasks done.

The body registers that the demand for food and oxygen is going down, and thus it slows down the heartrate ( or the distribution system ) and the lungs both start working more efficiently like every other part of the body, and the demand is going down as well.

So, with slower heartrate and less demand, the breathing slows down as well.

And yes, there have been registrated breathings of an experienced meditator ( Tibetian monk ) of around 6 breaths a minute ! :eek:

Like Bhavya said, the occurance that you stop breathing and pass out is very unlikely. The feeling of "burning lungs" people have when surfacing from a deep dive, and the feeling they HAVE to breath NOW are just safety mechanisms of the body.
    They can't be shut off, even during meditation. :)

6. Anni66

Anni66 Member

Sathya...I'm no expert but...can I say try relaxing sweeti and definately try LF along with meditation when you get your internet fixed beacause you get to lie down and chill while getting the benefits ;) Just breathe..in through your nose out through your mouth until you feel you are safe again...and before you know it you'll see your breathing normally and enjoy your meditating time you've gave yourself.

Peace

A x

A xx

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  7. sweetheart

sweetheart Member

Hi Sathya,

You may be experiencing a lot of muscle tension; the breathing pattern is fairly typical of people who are feeling stressed or anxious. Check out some resources for relaxed breathing and experiment with it. Simply be very mindful of your body and you will be able to identify where your body moves when you inhale. It should be the abdominal area and not much in the upper chest. If the upper chest is moving, your muscles are likely quite tight. That pattern of breathing can be a learned behavior and can be changed.

Be patient with yourself and non-judgemental - allow yourself time and reward yourself for sticking with it!

Good luck,

Pagt