1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Brand new user..Jumping right in.

Discussion in 'START HERE: Registration & Introductions' started by AK2CA00, Feb 23, 2011.

1. AK2CA00

AK2CA00 Member

Hello, im here to learn more about meditation, learn different techniques for inducing trance state and also reprogramming my way of thinking for certain times..i do have experience with meditation, mainly with trance state(is hard to get to lately) focusing on breath for long periods of time, visualizing breath(energy) cleansing the aura, void meditation..etc..just the basics for now..i plan to work towards Kundalini awakening, but first taking the steps and patient process for chakra work..i have a ways to go yet to opening my 7 wheels. i understand there are more sources of energy within the human body. I am just referring to my main sources for now..a little about me now..i am a sufferer of chronic depression, comes and goes in waves..i suffered from post traumatic stress from a difficult up bringing..i have overcome alot in the last few years. Before 6 months ago, i had never tried meditation..finally it became a daily habit with more and more positive results...however the lack of self discipline is catching up to me once again. i have about come to a complete stop..i havint had much desire to begin again.i dont really know why..i understand its all in the will of ones self. but i do believe there are certain things to help maintain the habit and daily practice of healthy meditation. i am very curious to hear about what has helped YOU...i am a very open minded person so all comments are welcome..and of course whatever experiences you feel like sharing...i want to continue, and i will continue..i registered on here to meet like minded users, and even use this forum site for a tool to help remind me how important and healthy meditation is..greetings to all who care to read..thank you.

2. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi AK2CA00 and welcome to the community,

It sounds like you've had a challenging time and you're also taking on a lot of "goals" to see if they can help. Just a thought, perhaps it would be better to stick with one goal at a time and find out which one helps the most.

Meditation isn't particularly about reaching a trance state, that's a slightly different thing, but that's by the by really.

Have you downloaded the free "Discover Meditation" CD's from this site yet? If not, I would recommend it and use those to help you get into a very simple yet effective method of meditation practice.

Contradicting myself here when I said to just focus on one thing (oops!) but have you heard of EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques)? It is a simple technique that you can learn for yourself (for free in most cases, but obviously paid courses to become a practitioner/therapist), and has been shown to be very beneficial for lots of different issues, including depression and PTSD.

More information on the official EFT website:

Emotional Issues

Hope that helps and look forward to seeing you around on the fourms

Hugs

Giles

3. nathandavid

nathandavid Member

Hello

Hi I am new to the forum and just wanted to say hello. I am happy to be here:).

I also wanted to offer my response to the question on this thread. IMO, trance states are different from meditation, and should be avoided. Trance involves a detachment of awareness, whereas meditation involves quieting the objective mind while maintaining total awareness. It is challenging, but well worth the effort of learning how to do it.

Thanks again.

Dave

4. Imagineallthepeople

Imagineallthepeople Member

Brand New Like You...;-)

Greetings.....sounds like you've had lots of meditative experience (certainly much more than me as I've rarely meditated!!) Have some tips on how best to do so? When I try to meditate, I fall asleep...Even when I just sit down and am in a quiet place (like a library) I often fall asleep. Too many work hours and family obligations, I guess. How do you keep awake when you meditate? Please advise :eek:

5. AK2CA00

AK2CA00 Member

hello everyone who posted on my thread,
    Giles, i do have an issue with changing my goals on a frequent basis, (depending on what it is of course) but i noticed i started going off into branches with my meditation, i would start 1 thing then do another..which i guess is ok if you want to try new techniques, but i figured out what i was doing "wrong" if there is such a thing in the term of meditation.. im planning to start a whole new practice with meditation ONCE a day for a half hour, just void meditation. that seems to help me most in previous experiences..you ever had your body go completely numb? or tingly in your toes or fingers? this seems to be a common occurence when i tend to really focus my mind of just my breath..other experiences have come out, but that is a couple different things i feel.Ill look into the EFT you mentioned.. im all ears with personal references.

Imagineallthepeople, my technique is just to normally lay down, in my room (best area in my opinion) or sit up with pillows behind my back..focus on letting your body completely relax at first, whatever works best for you...or another good technique..is breath good air in, bad air out(try that). ive fallen asleep to plenty of times..its really not the best thing to do if you reach a intense meditative state..where every sound is 10x louder than it would normally be if your were in your natural state of mind. so make sure your not in a public place..i keep awake just by keeping my mind busy with whatever relaxes you..visualization really helps me..the first thing to do, is to make sure you "feel" your energy..

6. Hazelkay

Hazelkay Member

Hi imagineallthepeople

Welcome to the forum and all good wishes for your meditation journey.

Falling asleep during mediation is a very common problem even with experienced mediators.

If you are actually tired and you take up a position normally associated with sleeping, then it is almost inevitable that you will fall asleep when trying to meditate.

First thing to establish is a time that you could meditate when you are quite bright and fresh - maybe a relative thing in your busy life!

Next is to make sure, whatever position you choose, that your back and neck are straight. It is preferable not to have your back fully resting against a support, but if you are very uncomfortable without, then use one. If you sit in a chair, then sit very close to the back of the chair without leaning against the back. If you get uncomfortable, you can take the support of the back with a very small movement. Same applies if you sit on the bed or against a wall. The more you sit without support the stronger your back will get and the more comfortable and natural the position will feel.

This unsupported position will keep you alert while you are meditating - if you fall asleep you will go off balance which will wake you up.;)

peace and joy

7. GilesC

GilesC Member

Numbness and tingling feelings are common symptoms of under or over oxygenation of the body. When you focus on the breath you start to try and control the breathing and this stops your body from breathing in the natural way it wants to; thus you change the oxygen levels in the blood and hence the symptoms you describe. That is quite normal symptoms from that sort of meditation.

Hugs

Giles

8. nathandavid

nathandavid Member

There is some great advice on this forum.

It is very easy to slip into trance or fall asleep while meditating.
    When I find myself slipping I try to become aware of body sensations.
    I also attempt to link my heart and mind. Its difficult to describe this, its an intuitive thing, but for me it feels like a linkage of the masculine and feminine energies. Does this make sense?

I guess I try to keep my awareness active while my mind is as quiet as I can make it (it still chatters, but not as much).

Dave

9. Imagineallthepeople

Imagineallthepeople Member