1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Books?

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Enuf, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Edwin

Edwin Member

I was talking about self-inquiry in the broader sense, not just one method as taught by the great sages. Meditation can be a form of self-inquiry as well. Even the Bhakti will eventually have to realise the Self to become a jnani.
    I think it is because we are brought into this world with talents, skills. Teaching, getting a message across, is also a skill. It is of the brain, the mind. One doesn't automatically become a guru after realisation. In fact, in Advaita Vedanta it is taught that one should wait for at least 5-10 years before starting to teach. There is still a lot of clearing up, getting rid of in terms of habits, old thought patterns. But even then it all depends on your skill. A car mechanic will have more trouble getting the message across then a highschool teacher. Usually the better teachers are the ones that become somewhat famous, even if they don't want to be ;)
    Hear hear ! :D

2. Panthau

Panthau Member

Ok that makes sense, its still the mind that leads to no-mind... so feeding the mind with the right information cant be wrong.

Its just my personal feeling, that everything i read may be interesting, fascinating or whatever, but it cant be more then a reminder.

Thats one thing i lately realized... im sometimes like a little guru to the world around me, its like people can ask me everything and my intuition never fails. On the other hand i feel like a little boy with no clue at all. One seems to be the self, and one my personality/ego (still dont have a clue why no one i ever met experiences the world like i do). Therefore i think its a wonderful thing to get raised with this wisdom, and i try to tell these things my little 9 year old son, so that he gets a few tools to realize it some day. Its nearly impossible anyway to get raised without personality if your parents arent fully enlighted.

Thanks again sharing your knowledge!

3. Bhavya

Bhavya Member

Ah... I see it's a question of semantics. In this forum we're using terms like enlightenment and Self realisation in different ways. I've personally seen that people have experiences of enlightenment where the Self is tasted. These experiences can become more and more frequent until the identity with ego is totally transcended. In its most exalted state, one becomes a transparent vehicle for the Dharma. Mata Amritananda Mayi speaks of it as a pouring forth, like a river, all flowing. Energy is infinite because it's coming through, not out of the individual mind or ego. It's all Love. Oneness is there. That, to me, is 'enlightenment' and boy, would I like to be there! :cool:

Until then, yup, I agree with you Edwin, lots of clearing up to do.,,all part of the process.. ... one breath at a time... one smile...one sitting ..one day..........
    grace -fully ... :rolleyes:

I can say, though, that the quality of my life and my responses to its challenges are improving, in part thanks to Lifeflow. And I enjoy reading about everyone's progress here.

Thanks to all of you who share your journey.... I love to see the light spreading :)

Bhavya

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  4. Edwin

Edwin Member

And why would you... It's normal to develop a self-image.
    I think of self-realisation as the last step in growing up. :)

5. Panthau

Panthau Member

I agree with you, but maybe in the future we dont need the "i" in the self anymore at all :)

Edit: ...or the identification with the i. Going on to lvl6!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  6. Panthau

Panthau Member

After months i got finally the information that the recommended books from Giles will arrive in a few weeks but today got the cancellation. Maybe theres some information it it, which im not ready for yet ;-)

7. GilesC

GilesC Member

That's odd. Maybe they are out of print at the moment, as I think they self publish them and do not always have copies to sell.

Never mind, the information will come to you as you require. ;)

8. Panthau

Panthau Member

For sure :)

9. Firstfather

Firstfather New Member

Hi, not sure if this was mentioned already but Eckartte Tolle's book "The Power of Now" deeply touched me and I would recommend everything by him. Zen books I have found to be very "enlightning" as well. Especially anything from "OSHO" or any zen koans you may find. Plus another personal favorite of mine is the "Tao Te Ching" from Lao Tzu.

10. Panthau

Panthau Member

11. Hazelkay

Hazelkay Member

my two pennorth

I have had a book for many years called 'Present Moment Awareness' by Shannon Duncan which I found useful when I was starting out on this path.

My more recent favourite is The Quiet by Paul Wilson
    peace and joy to all::)

12. Panthau

Panthau Member

Ah, thanks for the reminder... been reading about this one, but forgot about it :)

Hm, is it now this one Piece of the Quiet: Instant Peace and Quiet for a Noisy, Non-stop World: Amazon.de: Paul Wilson: Englische Bücher or this one Finding the Quiet: Amazon.de: Paul F. Wilson, Paul Wilson: Englische Bücher

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  13. Edwin

Edwin Member

a piece of the Quiet is the short version of the full book.
    Actually, this one would be very suitable for you Pan, it's for people with no patience :p

14. Panthau

Panthau Member

Hehe thanks, yes youre absolutely right... i just want the pure information without the schnickschnack :)