1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Books on Teaching Transcendental Meditation?

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by toasty, Dec 9, 2011.

1. toasty

toasty Member

I've been looking around and am having a heck of a time finding a book on teaching oneself TM. I've looked all over Amazon but everything is starting to blur together: books that I thought taught the technique just seem to be accounts by various authors discussing TM and its benefits. But few-to-none seem to actually *TEACH* the technique.

Also by searching I realize a lot of sources recommend finding a teacher for 1-on-1 experience... but seriously I don't have a thousand bucks or even (right now) a few hundred to spend.

Does anyone have any recommendations on books or audio books for learning the TM technique?

I sincerely appreciate any help, thank you :)

2. GilesC

GilesC Member

TM is only taught by the TM organisation, as they've trademarked the name, and the teachings teach the teachers that they cannot tell anyone how to teach outside the organisation. Hence you won't find any books on it, though there are some resources on the web that describe it, but there can be differences depending on which teacher (ex-teacher?) supplied the information. When the teachers learn it within the organisation, they have to learn the teachings but have non of it written down, so it all has to be memorised.

In reality though is there a reason you specifically want to learn TM? The teachings Michael gives with the free downloadable "Discover Meditation" is the same mantra based technique as TM, but without all the ceremony that the TM organisation involve in their teachings.

There are also ex-teachers of TM that teach the same techniques for a fraction of the price or even free, though they don't call it TM because they can't.

Hope that helps

Hugs

Giles

3. osamipo

osamipo Member

Hi toasty,

I agree with GilesC. And one of the authors who researched TM, published the book that was bestseller in 70s and it teaches basically the same principles. His name is Herbert Benson and the book is The Relaxation Response.

Cheers,
    Alex

4. toasty

toasty Member

I keep replying to the thread here but my posts seem to vanish. Thanks for your help guys. Assuming *this* post in here a few minutes after I click submit, I'll respond again because I definitely have some questions about this and I greatly appreciate the help you guys have already provided. I'm just tired of my multi-paragraph responses vanishing :p

{fingers crossed}

5. toasty

toasty Member

Since it seems my posts aren't vanishing yet, I'll try answering GilesC's questions earlier....

I should say that my goal isn't to specifically practice TM, rather I was turned onto the concept of meditation after reading “Creating Affluence” by Deepak Chopra. As simplistic as the book is, I've experienced a profound improvement in my life since I've been listening to the audiobook on a daily basis for several weeks. My intended goal through TM was to enhance my experience of what Chopra refers to as “the gap”. I've been able to calm and center myself a few times to slip into that state and found it quite profound. So profound that I've decided I would like to practice meditation as a means to more fully and regularly tap into my potential... without stressing about it. In the book/audio Chopra speaks about TM regularly and so -- with no prior 1st hand experience of meditation -- that's where I began my search.

I don't currently have the funds to invest in a 1-on-1 with a TM teacher, or sadly even an individual teaching the technique at a fraction of the cost. But I can afford books. Since apparently TM is an oral tradition, where can I direct my search for similar enlightenment? I really know *very* little about meditation. But I do know that what Chopra describes as “the gap between thoughts” is what I'd like to achieve; whatever the vehicle to reach it. Whether it's TM or any other school of mediation, the means doesn't matter to me as much as the end.

Up to this point I've been a very analytical and logical person. But the small amount of calm I've experienced from reading Chopra's book regularly, I've begun to believe there's more potential out there for me to have a more fulfilling life. And so that's why I'm hunting for a good book.

I look a look at the book on Amazon and there was actually a review saying an older edition (1975) was actually better than the recent one (200x) because the newer version focused much less on the technique and more on talking about the medical benefits of meditation. Any thoughts or opinions on that?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  6. GilesC

GilesC Member

It was probably because you are new and your posts were moderated until a moderator released them. ;)

Have you downloaded the free "Discover Meditation" CD from this site? (see the link at the top of the main forum page... http://www.project-meditation.org/community/ )

Not sure what country you're in, but there are places that will teach meditation for the cost you can afford to pay. Even the TM organisation will take account of individual circumstances, so if you really can't afford their normal fee, you can be taught it for less, though that depends if you want to go ahead with their way of teaching, so it's an individual choice. If you were in London (not sure where you are) and you wanted in-person tuition you could drop in to the London School of Meditation (The School of Meditation - promoting and teaching Advaita meditation in London and the UK) who essentially teach the same as TM but just not with the TM name, and I think they ask that you pay what you can (the recommendation I think is 1 weeks 'surplus' money (i.e. what money you would have after you've paid your essential bills) from your wages) but I've heard that you just hand it over in an unmarked envelope so what you put in that envelope is entirely up to you and isn't traced back to you. The money is to help keep the school going, so it's more of a donation from what I gather.

Look around though, as there are other teachers out there who will teach for nothing or for very little.

I'm a very logical/analytical person myself (it goes with my job as a software developer), and meditation has certainly been a good part of my spiritual awareness (I use the term loosely). I also read a lot of books, but I can honestly say, I've never found a good book that can teach meditation to any level equivalent to being taught it in person, or even to have someone teach it via CD as a guide.

Hugs

Giles