1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Body numbness and meditating on back?

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by SilverDoe, May 18, 2013.

1. SilverDoe

SilverDoe New Member

Hello.
    I'm fairly new to meditating, and earlier today I tried a simple meditation on my back. I know it's not recommended to meditate on your back, but I find it easier to relax quicker, and I can pay attention to relaxing each part of my body. Usually I fall asleep, but I've finally learned to stay awake. For me, it helps to count backwards. It gives me something to focus on. Trying something new, I used binaural beats. I don't have any medical conditions, so this shouldn't really be a problem for me.
    When I was fully relaxed, my body started to feel numb. Not really the kind of numb you feel when your legs fall asleep, but a very heavy feeling, kind of hard to describe. This has happened to me before, but my mind usually wanders after that and I fall asleep.
    This is the first time I was able to stay awake, and the numbness intensified to the point where it was almost overwhelming. It started with my extremities, and spread to my entire body. I remained relaxed, and later felt a weird kind of energy flowing in loops between my arms, which I have never experienced before. As someone who's not used to this, it was a little shocking. My meditation lasted for about an hour before I cut it off, which seems a bit long.
    Is this numbness/heaviness normal, and if not, how do I combat it?
    Is it OK to meditate on my back?

2. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator