1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Body Heat during meditation

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by rykel, Mar 31, 2009.

1. rykel

rykel Member

Has anyone ever had experiences where during meditation their body heat suddenly rises and you start sweating a little?

I'm not talking about an uncomfortable heated feeling, just a moderate increase in body heat generation?

2. Bhavya

Bhavya Member

Yes. It's the healing we receive when we're open to it. If you've ever received hands-on healing from someone (Reiki, or even massage) you may have felt that same heat. It can come directly or through someone else when they're working with energy medicine.
    It's a good sign.
    Bhavya

3. NeuralNet

NeuralNet Member

Heat from massage is typically caused by stimulation to muscle fibres which raises their temperatures surely?

I cant talk about Reiki having never had it, but i would assume its got something to do with anticipation, since personally I cant believe that non-contact, holding hands loosely over someone would have any tangible effect whatsoever.

Heres an interesting article that may help though..

Harvard Gazette: Meditation changes temperatures

4. Grey

Grey Member

waves are emitted inside a microwave oven. their source does not touch the food yet the waves emitted heat the food enough to cook it. no transmitter touches your television set but the set responds to the signals the transmitter sends from a distance.

because a particular form of energy has not yet been documented by science does not mean it does not exist. it may only mean we do not know exactly what to look for or exactly how to look for it. it would be completely false to suggest that x-rays did not exist until Wilhelm Röntgen "discovered" them. they were there all the time. we just had to become aware they were a possibility and then devise suitable technology to measure them.

it might be premature to discount the existence of energies claimed for reiki and similar practices purely on the basis that we have not yet measured them.

5. NeuralNet

NeuralNet Member

I completely agree. I'm 100% open to the idea that if there are waves or an aura or *something* that works, and if they can be detected, then I'm open to it. X-rays, electro magnetic radiation and in particular microwaves are all readily detectable (now) and fairly well understood.

Reiki for me doesn't fall in to that camp though. I've not seen anything scientific or objective that actually shows it even works or has an effect greater than placebo. So I dont think we are in the situation where we are trying to identify something that clearly has a physical effect but we haven't identified the cause or nature of it. I just am skeptical that if even works.

Sorry, probably going slightly off topic for this forum so Ill stop there ;)

6. Inedible

Inedible Member

It is only recently that I started to feel heat in meditation. Sometimes I would feel uncontrollable cold even with lots of layers of clothes and blankets in the middle of August in Iowa.

7. Ta-tsu-wa

Ta-tsu-wa Member

Net

I couldn't resist putting my 2 cents in here, especially coming from my own Native American background.

As Grey pointed out (I don't mean to put words into his/her? mouth,) it's hard to research a thing when you have not even an inkling this thing exists at all. Something must first draw our attention to it before we can decide it needs studying. And even then we may not yet have the tools to be able to study it.

A good case in point is dark matter/energy. We have no direct evidence it exists, but based on models we have that are at least partially verified, we infer dark matter/energy may exist. So the idea has been planted for future study. But if it exists, and if it fills the role we think it might, we don't have the slightest clue what it's made of and there is no instrumentation in the world today that can detect or directly measure it. Our technical capabilities have not yet caught up with our theoretical hypotheses. So at present we can't measure it.

This much I think you agree with. Where I'm not certain I fully understand your position is where you indicate you're open to the idea of the energies Reiki claims to work with, but disbelieve in it because it has not yet been measured. Perhaps I'm misinterpreting your meaning but it almost seems you are requiring the proof (via measurement) before you accept the possibility of the premise. That would be putting the proverbial cart before the horse.

I believe there is plenty of anecdotal evidence for the existence of subtle energies. Certainly there is at least as much evidence for them now as there was for the existence of those x-rays before their existence was verified.

As an example, it is highly suggestive such energies exist when they are postulated in nearly identical terms by many cultures spread out in time and geography. For instance the Navajo believe in a tangible life force that flows through the body which they call the "nilch'i". The Lakota Sioux believe in an identical energy they call the "Ni". They even have a system of exercises for moving and manipulating this energy within one's own body called "I-ni-pe'" that is indistinguishable from the Chinese exercises of Qigong.

And what about those ancient Chinese beliefs in Qi or Chi energy with all their meridians which, it turns out, are largely identical with the incredibly complex and intricate pathways of the neurological network as we understand it today in modern medicine? Statistically speaking, the odds of those ancient Chinese just choosing the locations of their meridian system based on their imaginings and having it coincide so closely with our neural network are next to zero.

The Hopi Indians believe in a system of energy centers in the human bodies almost indistinguishable from the Hindu chakra system.

Early Hebrews believed in a life force associated with the breath they called "Ruach". If we look at culture after culture we find a belief in these subtle energy systems, often so similar as to be carbon copies of each other. We find them over and over and over again, all over the globe and all down through history.

Does this prove the existence of such energies? Not directly. But if viewed statistically as a meta-analysis it certainly makes it unlikely that all these various peoples were just making things up. There is a thread of consistency running through it all that suggests real phenomena and that makes it worthy of study.

The issue then becomes one of finding ways to detect and measure, and that may be far off in the future if it is possible at all. There are many things science has no way to measure at present and perhaps never will be able to measure. Can dark matter ever be measured directly if it actually exists? Can we measure or even detect a tachyon particle? Is there an energetic component to human emotions such as love, and will we ever be able to measure it with an instrument?

I find it entirely plausible that many of these kinds of things may never be subject to measurement by any instrument other than the human body/spirit itself. If that turns out to be the case it won't bother me in the least.

8. Inedible

Inedible Member

Electricity has been around for a very long time, but being able to measure it and study it has led to understanding how to generate and use it in many different ways. What if it could be the same way with the energy used in reiki and chi kung?

9. Ras

Ras Member

I tend to agree with NeuralNet (weird nickname btw ;) ) here

Saying you belive in Reiki simply because we dont know wheter it works or not seems a bit odd in my opinion.

10. Bhavya

Bhavya Member

It's amazing how the mention of Reiki has precipitated all this discussion - and a very interesting one too. What are subtle energies? Do they exist? If they can't be measured are we just fooling ourselves? Are we energy beings as some have suggested? Why do we have a lot of energy sometimes and very little on other days? Why when someone's depressed do they find it difficult to get out of bed?

Ultimately everyone has to find their own answers. But the point of this website is to open us up to experience a vaster way of being by transcending the limitations that our minds and emotions have placed upon us. There is an inner yearning to be more: more peaceful, more loving, more at ease. When we succeed in letting go during meditation to some degree, there are signs that we often experience: bodily sensations, release of emotions, and perhaps feelings of joy, peace, stillness. Sometimes when we come out of a deep meditation, we have such clear, boundless energy that is a joy to experience. Why does that happen?

For those of you who doubt, I would suggest that you carry out your own investigation. Experiment and see what meditation with Lifeflow can do for you. We all know what life is like when lived in the head. See what happens when we loosen the hold mind has on us ....:):):)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  11. Inedible

Inedible Member

"Keep going" always makes a good answer.

12. chris063

chris063 Member

Hi, this is an interesting discussion!! I have no experience of Reiki, but I have just begun a 2 year course studying another form of 'energy' healing, called Esoteric Healing. It differs from Reiki in that it is almost totally 'hands off', using hands merely to sense the energy emanating from another living thing, and also facilitate the channelling of energy through the healer to the patient, and from Source to the patient. These teachings are based on 'chanelled' teachings written down by Alice Bailey, the basis of which is that we have several different bodies each, which are at different levels of vibration, our physical body being the most dense, and which is also directly influenced by the higher vibrational 'energy' bodies. I am sceptical by nature, I need to experience things for myself before I can really believe, but the small amount of work I have done so far has totally convinced me that we are beings of energy, that even the physical body ultimately is made of energy. I am working within a group of trainees, we work and practice on each other. We have ALL, without fail, experienced changes in ourselves since the start of the course, all felt 'heat' in the areas being worked on and that is WITHOUT direct contact to the facilitator.

As with most things we don't understand or 'know', I think it is important that we keep open minds. There are many things neither we or science can really explain, I think some things just have to be experienced before we can feel that we know if it is real or not. The experiencing of energy for me started with that feeling of lightness, of floating, during meditation, accompanied by heat in my hands and often now my whole body.

13. Inedible

Inedible Member

A reiki master can channel energy without using hands. It can be sent through any body part or even channeled entirely outside the body. Inanimate objects can be attuned and given as gifts as well. Some masters even set up pictures or MP3 files so that anyone looking at them can receive the attunement by choosing to receive it. The energy is limitless but the limits are those set by the individual people involved in using it. The ability to act "as if" goes a long way.

14. bashmaki

bashmaki Member

reiki

Hello All,
    Feels like home here!
    I was inadvertently introduced to Reiki a number of years ago by a friend that was a practitioner. She was practicing to become a massage therapist and offered to give me free massages because she needed some people to practice on (like I'm gonna turn that down; right?). I had never needed, or at least didn't think I needed, any reiki treatments from her in the past so never gave it much thought. I was a bit skeptical about it though . . . and . . . maybe she sensed it.
    She was finishing a massage on me one day and I was lying on the table. I had the sensation that someone was running a feather duster over the backside of my body. I asked her what she was doing and she told me she was dusting me off. I turned and looked at her and I could see that she was positioned too far above me to be touching me. I asked her what that had to do with a massage and she chuckled and said, "Oh, nothing"! It was a very strange sensation.
    I've since sought out massage therapists that incorporate Reiki into their massage sessions and just love the results. I am a big believer in Reiki now thanks to my old buddy Paula.

Gus

15. The Rainbow Ray

The Rainbow Ray Member

Well I must say that I know that Reiki is real. I am a Reiki level one student and there is definitely a difference. Before I begin a healing there is a heating sensation throughout my body and of course my hands get hot. So I guess that it must be my imagination and the person that I am healing right? We both fell the heat of my hands ... even though the patient doesn't know about it.
    It is more than ok to say you don't think it works. That is your opinion and you are more than welcome to it. I know for a fact though that Reiki is more then a placebo effect.
    To answer the main question (lol) the heating may be healing energy or it may also be a way that your body is detoxing what is no longer needed. Including stress etc.:)

16. Ta-tsu-wa

Ta-tsu-wa Member

Rainbow

Let me play devil's advocate here. I think what was being questioned is the lack of empirical evidence for this "heat" that you feel. A skeptic might say, "You feel this energy in your hands as heat, and the person you're treating also feels it as heat, and heat is a form of energy that can easily be measured. It should be very simple to prove heat is being generated just by measuring the temperature of your hands, or the part of the subject's body that feels the heat."

But if heat had been measured in this way and found to exist we would all be hearing about it as front page news. Practitioners of Reiki would be shouting it from the rooftops in vindication. Obviously, this hasn't happened. One could ask why is this? Is no one trying to measure this change in temperature, and if so, why not? Why not test for the obvious when it is so simple to do and would shut the skeptics up once and for all? Or has the test been performed but no change in temperature is ever recorded, and if not, why not?

Could it be that the perceived feelings of heat really are subjective after all? And yes, it is possible for more than one person to experience simultaneous feelings that are subjective in nature, particularly where all persons involved enter into a situation with similar sets of expectations.

And not just in Reiki, but many areas could be questioned in this way. One I always smile at is watching people do "muscle testing" or "applied kinesiology". I've seen it done many, many times by lots of different people, but what I observe is always the same. First they ask a question that will elicit a positive response, then go through some exaggerated theatrics to appear to be pushing on the muscle with great power. Then they ask a negative question after which they lay into the subject with obvious body weight and/or strength. Mind you, from what I have seen most of these "practitioners" are sincere in their beliefs, and they may not even be consciously aware they are stacking the deck. However, it is painfullly obvious that very little strength or body weight are applied when a positive answer is expected, and normal strength and/or body weight are used when a negative response is the desired outcome. One wonders, and I have asked many times, instead of having a person push down on or otherwise manipulate the subject's muscles, why not just attach a weight on a cord? The weight would not lie. Either a person could successfully resist it, or they couldn't. And everyone would know that precisely the same resistance was being used in each test. It would help to objectify the method. But I'm told it isn't done that way because it wouldn't work. Why not? It just doesn't work that way. Apparently it doesn't work that way because if it did, and if the muscle testing was successful, those who practice it would be rubbing the noses of the skeptics in it. But that's not happening, either. One wonders why?

I don't know if muscle testing really works or not, but I do know in the countless times I've seen it performed and had it performed on me, I have yet to see even a single example that was not clearly practitioner controlled outcome.

So, Rainbow, with this in mind, if a skeptic were to question you about your perceptions of heat as you've described them, how would you respond to them?

17. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

This is a great post Bhavya - I couldn't agree with you more. I believe it's like a miracle when we loosen the hold mind has on us. Meditating with LifeFlow has freed many of us from so much heavy and damaging baggage. Thankyou and I wish you continued joy and peace on your journey :) :) :)

18. The Rainbow Ray

The Rainbow Ray Member

Really I would not know what to say. All I know is that I do indeed feel the heat throughout my body and then sometimes but not always on my hands. Even when I do not feel the heat or feel that the heat has dissapated in my hands the person feels the heat coming through strong. Usually when I first activate the Reiki I myself get very very heated and then it slowly cools off. The heat is still being felt by the reciever though throughout the entire healing. I hope this is the type of answer that you were looking for.
    All I know is that we all have our own seperate beliefs and life experiences but am happy to say that we share one life enhancing tool, life flow :)

19. -LMR

-LMR Member

my temp rises like crazy in meditation!

Whoa....I was googling this question because I finally just started meditation, Ive done it 2 times now and it feels incredible to get out of my head. I feel closer to God and more keen to my 3rd eye senses :)
    This site looks pretty cool....I think I'll stay and learn some things ;)

20. ChilliPeppa

ChilliPeppa Guest

Experiencing heat felt in various places in the body during meditation is common, and also during other yogic type practices such as pranayama, so much so that in many of the old yogic texts there are instructions to the student regarding the effects of the heat. When I first began meditating years ago I had the experience of my chest and especially my head heating up so much that I felt I would explode ha ha. These things go away after some time. It's normal, it's part of the awakening of the energies in the subtle body, kundalini etc.