1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Bipolar Disorder

Discussion in 'Having Problems?' started by Weardale Guy, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Weardale Guy

Weardale Guy Member

Hi Guys.

Just wondering if anybody can help?
    I suffer with a Bipolar disorder, appart from the depression other symptoms include severe panic attacks. These attacks can come on at any given moment, and can last for a period of time.
    Can anyone sugest which of the meditation Cd's would be benificial to this problem, as i could put the cd onto my ipod. Also which cd could help me get off to sleep, another symptom of the dissorder.
    Any suggestions welcome.

Regards

Weardale Guy

2. bashmaki

bashmaki Member

I'm no expert by any means but I believe Michael, in his "Discover Meditation Course", explains that anyone on medication should seek guidance from his/her doctor upon beginning meditation. I would think he'd agree also to seeking guidance upon taking the LifeFlow course as well. In any event, the beginning would be the place to start whether bipolar or not IMHO. It would have to do with the nature of what happens when one delves into meditation in combination with the LifeFlow CD's.
    My experience has been that the relationship between the CD's and what transpires on the sub/unconcious level would leave one at odds at the very least and crying on the floor in the extreme if one just jumped into . . . say . . . CD #7 without listening to them in order and following Michaels specific instructions as to time frame and other things.
    If you search around on this site you'll find a wealth of information about things I'd not even dreamed of until I found this site. All of it pertaining to entrainment and how to do it and what to expect.
    There are others more knowledgable than I that will, no doubt, chime in here and give more specifics and details. There is a wealth of knowledge here much of it extremely impressive.

Gus

3. Weardale Guy

Weardale Guy Member

Thanks for your advice Gus

I have been told by my doctor, that listening to something relaxing may help my situation, especialy the panic attacks hence listening to most of the levels, all of which I enjoy. I thought there may be somebody on this site with more knowlege of the cd's that may be able to help. I will continue to search this site for more usefull information. Once again thanks for your suggestion

Steven
    :)

4. Jeb

Jeb Member

Bipolar

I too have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, bipolar II. I find the LifeFlow program to help immensly with stress, relaxation, depression, etc. Since I have begun the program, I have now progressed to LifeFlow9. I find I have some problems with concentration while trying to meditate, but I think it is becoming easier and easier with time.

I have also found that my meds seem to have a greater effect. I find that I sleep more soundly and I need less Seroquel to sleep. I have become much more relaxed in dealing with my job (family law attorney), my clients, difficult judges, my family and friends.

As for sleep, I have discovered Belleruth Naparstek CDs with her guided imagery help me to easily fall asleep. These CDs are a great enhancement to the LifeFlow program.

I've tried lots of different programs, and the LifeFlow program seems to be the best of the best. I look forward to my 40 minutes of peace and meditation each day.

I hope this is of some help. Keep working! "It works if you work it!"

Jeb

5. Edwin

Edwin Member

From what I understand from the LifeFlow cd's it technically makes no difference if you were to start with LifeFlow 10 and progress to 1 or if you would simply begin with one in the sence that it would both take about the same time ( 10 - 20 months ) for your mind to reach the deepest state during meditation. However, because the jump to LifeFlow 1 is such a big one all at once, your mind will take longer to reach that level compared to the small steps that LifeFlow has now.

This has to do with your brain having to adjust to deeper levels.

6. Weardale Guy

Weardale Guy Member

Thanks Jeb for your response. :)

7. Jeb

Jeb Member

Getting better

No prob. I have been working with bipolar for many years. I work with my doc closely to monitor if and when I can reduce meds. Every day in every way, I'm getting better and better! If you would like to chat more, let me know. My email is posted here.

8. Breath

Breath Member

powerful practice

«I suffer with a Bipolar disorder, appart from the depression other symptoms include severe panic attacks. These attacks can come on at any given moment, and can last for a period of time.
    Can anyone sugest which of the meditation Cd's would be benificial to this problem, as i could put the cd onto my ipod. Also which cd could help me get off to sleep, another symptom of the dissorder. »
    Hi Weardale Guy. I was diagnosed with something similar to Bipolar disorder as well as social panic attacks. I read previous comments and think too it's important to talk to your doctor about it. Since I mediate, I have slowly decreased my antidepressors (but that's an other subject: I am not saying it's absolutely necessary).
    But I don’t think one particular CD would be beneficial to this problem. The Life Flow CD are not just « relaxing cd » they are based on brain wave entrainment technology. As people said before, it's important to respect to chronology otherwise you could be stucked with emotions suddenly surfacing that you are not ready yet to cope with.
    Since I meditate I feel stronger when it comes to panic attacks. The other day I was in a meeting and felt I was about to experience a panic attack (going extremely red, blood rushing to my brain, heart beating so fast, etc.) and I simply (but it takes courage!) focus on the inner body, the energy field inside, this energy I feel more intensely when I meditate. Well, what seemed like the beginning of a real panic attack vanished!
    One victory, plus an other one, plus an other one... and I am slowly regaining confidence. :eek:What I found extremely powerful (for panic attack, difficulty sleeping or any other difficulty) is to practice Surrender. While focusing on the inner body, I keep saying « YES » to what is. « Yes to the panic attack », « Yes I am not sleeping yet », « Yes this is going on inside me ». Instead of resisting to it like I always did - and strenghtened the attack - the Acceptance gets its energy away, energy away from the negative emotionnal charge growing inside me. I promise this a super powerful practice. I have learned mainly from Eckhart Tolle.
    Good luck Weardale Guy, you're not alone, I am with you!(sorry for my English sometimes, I am Frenchspeaking:D)

9. Breath

Breath Member

I have a problem with level 9

I have a problem.
    Since I started level 9 I don’t feel good when I meditate. I wasn’t the case for level 10, but I find the sound of level 9 sad and almost depressing. It’s been like that for weeks. Perhaps an other meditation program would suit me better.
    I also learnt that I am pregnant. Don’t know if this has to do with it.
    I am really worried if I should continue or not. Some sad things are happening in my family and I don’t know if that program is helping me or not.

Can anyone help me or has experienced similard discomfort with level 9?

10. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi there, Michael recommends NOT using LifeFlow if you are pregnant. Until you can continue, maybe check with your midwife if it's ok to do the free mantra meditation course.

What you definately can do at the moment is listen to the beautiful music of the gratitude exercise while you relax and think of all the things you are really thankful for.

I hope that helps and congratulations on your wonderful news. I wish you an abundance of joy and happiness :) :) :)

11. bashmaki

bashmaki Member

This is interesting Pollyanna. Do you know why? Maybe the little bugger will get to doing hand stands in there, huh?:confused: That wouldn't be good:eek:

Congrats. Breath;) That too cool!!!

gus

12. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hehe!! I don't actually know Gus but I'll find out and get back to you :) :) :)

13. Breath

Breath Member

stop using life flow during pregnancy

Thank you so much. I will then stop using life flow during my pregnancy.
    what exactly is th «free mantra meditation course»?

take care!

14. Breath

Breath Member

OK to listen to it through headphones ?

thank you for congrats: you're so nice!
    Yes, that's a good question: after saying « I will stop using Life flow during pregnancy » I wondered: its weird... why would stuff i am listening to through headphones have any bad influence on the feotus?
    Perhaps it's just better to stop listening to Life flow on open speakers and OK to listen to it through headphones.??? i dont know!

take care :)

15. Bhavya

Bhavya Member

Maybe not at all

Hi Breath

Congratulations on your good news!

You wrote:
    Yes, that's a good question: after saying « I will stop using Life flow during pregnancy » I wondered: its weird... why would stuff i am listening to through headphones have any bad influence on the feotus?
    Perhaps it's just better to stop listening to Life flow on open speakers and OK to listen to it through headphones.??? i dont know!

If it's truly dangerous, then it would be detrimental on headphones too.

I remember when I was pregnant, going to listen to my brother play in his rock band. It was very loud and my baby became very agitated, kicking me repeatedly (not in time with the beat!) With Lifeflow, I imagine that if listening stirred up emotional states in you - old emotional baggage - then your baby would feel that too. But that's just my theory. I'd like to hear more about this because it could be relevant to lots of meditators.

Bhavya

The free meditation course is available by clicking on the left at the top of the page

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  16. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi there, still checking this out. I think it's just a precaution, like many other things you need to avoid or abstain from during pregnancy. I'll post as soon as I know anything specific. Until then, enjoy relaxing times, listening to gentle music and allowing your unborn child to know how much he or she is loved. Peace and joy :) :) :)

17. Coenrad Morgan

Coenrad Morgan Member

Mozart

Hi Breath,

THE ONE that creates is busy in you, something I as a male will never be able to experience (probably wouldnt handle it very well anyway)....my deepest respect and congratulations.

Here is something both you and the young one may benefit from, there is a book called "the mozart effect"...also several CD's on the market.

Wikipedia makes the following statement:

Popularizing of the concept

The fact that IQ was mentioned at all in the 1993 study, and the fact that the music used in the study was by Mozart had an obvious appeal to those who valued this music, and the Mozart effect was widely reported. In 1994, New York Times music columnist, Alex Ross, wrote in a light-hearted article, "researchers [Rauscher and Shaw] have determined that listening to Mozart actually makes you smarter," and presented this as the final piece of evidence that Mozart has dethroned Beethoven as "the world's greatest composer." A 1997 Boston Globe article mentioned some of the Rauscher and Shaw results. It described one study in which three- and four-year-olds who were given eight months of private piano lessons scored 34 percent higher on tests of spatio-temporal reasoning than control groups given computer lessons, singing lessons, and no training.
    The 1997 book by Don Campbell, The Mozart Effect: Tapping the Power of Music to Heal the Body, Strengthen the Mind, and Unlock the Creative Spirit, discusses the theory that listening to Mozart (especially the piano concerto) may temporarily increase one's IQ and produce many other beneficial effects on mental function. Campbell recommends playing specially selected classical music to infants, in the expectation that it will benefit their mental development. These theories are controversial. The relationship of sound and music (both played and listened to) to cognitive function and various physiological metrics has been explored in studies with no definitive results. After The Mozart Effect, Campbell wrote a follow-up book, The Mozart Effect For Children, and created related products. Among these are collections of music that he states harness the Mozart effect to enhance "deep rest and rejuvenation", "intelligence and learning", and "creativity and imagination". Campbell defines the term as "an inclusive term signifying the transformational powers of music in health, education, and well-being. It represents the general use of music to reduce stress, depression, or anxiety; induce relaxation or sleep; activate the body; and improve memory or awareness. Innovative and experimental uses of music and sound can improve listening disorders, dyslexia, attention deficit disorder, autism, and other mental and physical disorders and injuries".[4]

This is backed by some serious research, initially French and built on over time, it may be beneficial to you both as it has a calming effect.

Hope this helps.

18. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

That's very interesting and makes total sense because this type of music probably encourages the Alpha state and relaxation. I know that when I listen to this kind of music I always, at some point close my eyes, relax and enjoy and appreciate the wonderful feeling derived from this.

From what I have learned, even though LifeFlow may well be beneficial to listen to during pregnancy, because there is no scientific proof to state whether it will or will not be, Michael will have to err on the side of caution.

Peace and happiness to you all :) :) :)