1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Best brainwave for alertness/wakefulness

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by airportlounge, Dec 22, 2007.

1. airportlounge

airportlounge Member

Hello fellow meditators!

In case there are those of you who missed my introduction, I am a student currently attending a Canadian University majoring in History and English (hoping to obtain a minor in philosophy). Lately, I have been unable to concentrate and focus (not to mention, always tired) on almost an academically hindering level. My question to you folks is, what brainwave is best for focus meditation? I am quite novice to this whole thing, but I was thinking of something more along the lines of the alpha wave. Luckily, meditation, despite being a greenhorn, has helped me tremendously. Just want to make sure I'm doing things right.

PS. I'm beginning to think focusing and alertness/wakefulness are probably associated with different waves. Focusing probably operates on a lower level like delta or theta, right?

2. airportlounge

airportlounge Member

ah, just to correct myself, I understand that all meditation requires extreme focus, but what I mean is something that will help me concentrate in an awaken state. Thanks.

3. Maitreya

Maitreya Member

Though, I too am a beginner to meditation, I do have an extensive knowledge of the brain and mind.

The Thread regarding the Brainwaves explains all about this. In focused, but conscious, concentration (if the focus is extreme) the brain will operate in the High Alpha range.

If somehow you suddenly slipped into Theta or Delta, those around you would call it "Passing Out" :p

But, to learn to enter the Delta Range while still technically aware, as with the LifeFlow program, would greatly (as in significantly) increase your concentrative abilities.

But it will take a year to achieve High Delta, according to the program's advisement, so just taking the first while in Alpha, and meditating daily is the first step.

My advice: Meditate in the morning. It's like exercising in the morning. It's much more effective than in the evening. But if you don't have the time, don't sweat it.

4. airportlounge

airportlounge Member

Thank you for your valuable input! I'll definitely take that into consideration. Actually, this morning was the first time I tried it in the earlier hours of the day, and achieved probably the best results ever. One other question: how often during the day is it ok to meditate? Say if I could devote as much as two hours a day?

5. Maitreya

Maitreya Member

Again, on this point, meditation is like exercise.

Better to display it across a day than set a date. And of course, beginning limits an amount of time. I could see that after a while a person could dedicate fourteen hours of a sixteen-hour day to meditation.

What I usually do is to meditate until my mind begins to wander, and then consider that the beginning of the transition out of meditation.

I think, at the beginning, three fifteen minute sessions per day, with 3-4 hours in-between (as noted by Michael) could be the most. But you should notice in that after only a couple of days that you can extend the period, so by all means, do so.

If you find that your mind simply will not stop concentrating, no matter how long you wait...well, that's a good thing. May be you should try increasing the time by one minute every session.

But you should get some more input beforehand.

Glad to hear you had your best results as a corroboration of my advice. It's good to know I was right about that, and it wasn't just with me :)

In fact, sometimes I wake up, and begin to meditate without even getting out of bed first. Since the mind is already is such a relaxed state, it should make sense that that would be the best time to temper it for such relaxation while being awake.

6. Andrew

Andrew Member

Hm. Maitreya, you're saying that it's important to concentrate during meditation (on your mantra I guess?), but the impression I got from the course is that one should let your mind wander, focusing on nothing, letting your thoughts float freely by with your mantra in the background. What am I missing here?

7. Maitreya

Maitreya Member

Well, I mean it should wander, but in that pretense I did not want to use the word "WANDER," since it would not allow differentiation between scattered thoughts and a clear mind.

Obviously, one must let go of thoughts, also to the point of not pushing them away, but the aim of meditation (at least meditation for my purpose, perhaps not for merely releaving stress) is to reach a point where letting your mind wander is to be completely free of thought.

I hope you understand now why I used the word "concentrate" in stead of "wander." So what I meant to imply is to:

Let your mind be free of concentration, but also aim to have your mind free of thoughts.

My goal in meditation is to reach this state of "relaxed concentration," of no thought, without having to use a mantra to achieve it.

Sorry for confusing you, but that's just for my own goal and reason for meditating. For simple relaxation, it does not matter if you let your mind span across thoughts or if your mind is completely free of them.

However, if you are meditating for concentration, to meditate completely free of any thoughts is a good goal to have.

So just keep doing what you're doing. I know what I know, as what I said, but I'm no expert. But I am using my limited knowledge to help a person who came for it. It's part of a vow I took. :)

Hopefully I un-confused you and didn't anger any experts by being wrong, (which I strongly doubt I am.) :p

8. neilcamp

neilcamp Member

I also meditate in the morning. It's the first thing that I do when I get up. I don't even have coffee or breakfast, and I find that my mind is not quite so active and it is easier to zero in to my mantra. I also seem to settle very quickly at this time and find LifeFlow meditation both soothing and fulfilling.
    By the way, do you know how the LifeFlow levels fit in to the various levels of consciousness (or vice versa)?

9. Andrew

Andrew Member

Haha, ok, thanks for the clarification Maitreya. Actually I have pretty strong ADD, so improving my overall concentration is an important goal for me.
    As to meditating first thing in the morning, I had actually been doing it at night just before bed, but I saw these posts and gave it a go, and it's far more powerful in the morning. When I'm finished I suddenly have energy for the whole day and I feel great. Thanks guys!

(By the way Maitreya, the real Maitreya Buddha is incarnate today ;) )

10. Maitreya

Maitreya Member

No problem. But I guess I should start to practice what I preach, because I haven't meditated in the morning in a while...Which is just my own mistake since I never have anything I must do. I just study all day, and exercise, and I suddenly realise I need to meditate. :rolleyes:

But thanks for that, Andrew, ha. So then you think you know who is that future Buddha? Or was that an implication that could be me? :)

Well, it could be a wonderful example of a self-fulfilling prophecy if I want it to be :D

Anyway, I suggest, for Thoughtless Concentration, that you occasionally practice a Mindfullness of Breathing meditation, and, in stead of concentrating on words--thus using the brain's oral capacity--like a mantra (though mantras are effective for relaxation), concentrate only on the breath. If you begin to visualise, be sure to make the visual that of watching the breath come in and go out.

Niel: The CDs work backward, beginning from the 10 Hertz--measured in spans of /per second--frequency, which is the high alpha range. This is the level of conscious, deep relaxation. The frequencies 9 Hz and 8 Hz are both also Alpha frequency, of Middle Alpha and Low Alpha, each signifying a deeper state of relaxation.

Then they drop into the Theta Wave range. It is here that most dreaming is done, and spans from 7 Hz to 4 Hz.

Actually, I don't know much about Delta, except that it signifies extreme relaxation and runs from 3.9 Hz to about 1 Hz, 1 being the greatest, deepest relaxation.

Michael's articles in "Learn How You Can Benefit From Project Meditation" explain the waves in much more depth.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
  11. Michael Mackenzie

Michael Mackenzie Owner

Optimal Learning

Hi Airport Lounge,

I will be adding a track called 'Optimal Learning' to the products area before the new year. You will be able to unlock this with your Karma Credits.

I think this is just what you're looking for.

Optimal Learning: this enjoyable and very relaxing soundtrack features the LifeFlow audio technology at the alpha level. Since alpha is the brain wave pattern of super learning, Optimal Learning is perfect for listening while reading, learning, or studying. It will place you in a highly focused state ideal for what you seem to be seeking.

I plan to have this available for you to access in the community by December 29th.

Many thanks, Michael :)

12. Ras

Ras Member

I have been wondering about some of the same things lately, so very informative to read this thread, thanks

I will be looking forward to the new track!

13. airportlounge

airportlounge Member

Thanks for all the valuable input folks, I seem to be learning something new every day here :p The optimal learning cd sounds awesome, Michael, and will hopefully help me with the concentration problems I have been experiencing lately. Looking forward to its release (sweet, 2 more days!) :)