1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Best Books

Discussion in 'Mind, Body & Spirit' started by John Parsons, Jul 5, 2011.

1. John Parsons

John Parsons New Member

Hi all,
    I am interested to hear from each person what is the very best book on enlightenment - I will endeavor to search out any suggestions.
    For me, the very best I have ever come across is the trilogy by Jed McKenna, "Spiritual Enlightenment - The Damndest Thing", "Spiritually Incorrect Enlightenment" and "Spiritual Warfare", and I would recommend it to anyone seriously looking for enlightenment.
    Also, a scarier one, "Haunted Universe", which might be very accurate but not very pleasant, and even the author recommends people not to read it unless they really have no choice.

So anyway, what are your highest recommendations?

2. Mr Monkey

Mr Monkey Member

Hi John,

I've read a couple of books by Eckhart Tolle, Mooji and 'Sailor' Bob Adamson all have been enjoyable and I feel I have taken something from each.

If you want specific books then on the links at the top of the site there is a search bar, so fill your boots :)

I would have dug a few links out for you but there were a lot of results :eek:

:)

3. GilesC

GilesC Member

I don't think any book can teach you enlightenment, they can only ever act as a model or framework in which one can learn about themselves and how they are not enlightened, thus implicitly directing the person towards an enlightened state.

I've read far too many to even consider or judge one as better than another. Sometimes the older ones are good, and sometimes the newer ones fit better into a modern understanding.

As Mr Monkey replied before me, it does however remind me of the great trilogy "Journey to the West"...

Journey to the West: Amazon.co.uk: Cheng'en Wu, W.J.F. Jenner: Books

... upon which the tv series "Magic Monkey" was created.

There was a great deal of buddhist wisdom in the tv series (that went right over my head as a child at the time, but made far more sense recently when I watched it on DVD), but the TV series is nothing compared to the 2000+ pages of the books. (not to mention the tv series doesn't get to the end of the books/end of the journey)

I personally also find a lot of scientific books can be beneficial to understanding a framework of the world and assist in finding our True Self.

If I was at home now, and I had time to list all the books I have read, then I would. Unfortunately I'm not though. ;)

Hugs

Giles