1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Beeing part of something bigger..

Discussion in 'Mind, Body & Spirit' started by Panthau, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Panthau

Panthau Member

Hi,

Just wanted to share this thought with you.

If we are part of a bigger consciousness (which is part of a bigger consciousness…), like fish or birds or ants working together,
    then the ego is absolutly useless (except to survive on this physical plane).

So if i am a cell of a bigger organism, then theres no personal development, no growing in consciousness, just
    beeing a part of something like an ant and consciousness-wise stuck in this perception forever.

On the other hand, people tell about experiencing beeing one and such things and how great that is. How can they experience "something" when they have no individual perception?

Just throwing it into the room :)
    Pan

2. osamipo

osamipo Member

Re:

Hi,

Maybe that moments of "oneness" are achieved when one is free from identification with ego and, i guess, that feeling is exectly "taping" into that bigger consciousness.

I hope it makes sense :):)

Alex

3. Panthau

Panthau Member

Jup, i believe thats true, but what happens there? Is there an individual that is able to experience more than beeing one with all? Like the cell in my brain, can it ever experience more then just to be part of the brain, which together creates the mind?

Like, for example, Steven Hawkins told about his experiences... he told about beeing one with all that is, and his body was directed by his higher self. Still he was there as a voucher of what happend.

So can we ever grow from the voucher to the creator? Can we grow from the human, that is part of his higher self, to "be" this higher self... watching the movie of our little self?

From this point of view, it rather seems that we are ants, which are in their sum a bigger thing... but we´re still ants.

4. chris-da-fur

chris-da-fur Member

This is an interesting topic!

I feel like the Ego isn't something that can be "destroyed" or totally eradicated. It's kind of a shadow of the mind, and is only a problem when we all take it as ourselves.

I have been reading Sri Ramana Maharshi's books and a yogi who visited him said it is the mind returning to the source, like sending it home.

"Sitting in Maharshi’s presence brings peace of mind. I used to sit in
    samadhi for three or four hours together. Then I felt my mind took a
    form and came out from within. By constant practice and meditation
    it entered the Heart and was merged into it. I conclude that the Heart
    is the resting place of mind. The result is peace. When the mind is
    absorbed in the Heart, the Self is realised. This could be felt even at
    the stage of concentration (dharana)."

So maybe that explains it, I don't know though, I feel like this is all confusing until you "get" it!

5. Panthau

Panthau Member

Mh. I just give the answer to this to myself...

The little "i" is just a perception of the bigger "i". The bigger "i" is just a perception of the more bigger "i". The more bigger "i" is just a perception of what is. So theres no real cell, its just the perception of a cell from the source. This perception can of course grow and take all in that is... from that point of view, theres no seperation, just the perception of seperation.

Now that leads me to the next question, which no one could ever answer yet :)

What the hell is it good for to split "me" up into different perceptions?

6. GilesC

GilesC Member

Why so many levels of "i"?
    Simply there is "I" (universal oneness) and "i" (the dualistic view of myself and "other").

When a person says they experience oneness, they are not experiencing somthing "other" than themselves, they are in fact letting go of "other" and becoming aware of their one true "I".

This one true "I" is the universe, everything, the creator (if you want to call it that).

Hugs

Giles

7. Panthau

Panthau Member

Yup, thats what i meant. However, its just fascinating somehow... the one big "I" jumps between you and me (to make a picture of it) while we´re conversating :)

8. GilesC

GilesC Member

And there was me thinking you were talking to your Self. :D

9. Edwin

Edwin Member

I have heard Advaita teachers calling it "Consciousness playing with itSelf"

Alexander Smit ( realised student of Nisargadatta ) used to call realised people " God's spies "
    Kinda like that :)