1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Bad times to meditate?

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by tameyourmind, Mar 22, 2008.

1. tameyourmind

tameyourmind Member

I haven't been on the site for a while after signing up because I wanted to explore meditation myself for a few months. It has been fantastic and I feel refreshed and utterly happy. I just wondered whether the effects of meditation are distorted when something stops you doing it 'properly':

1) After eating? Having eating a big meal or sugary food, I sometimes feel that my breathing and heart rate are too excitable and I can't settle into my natural rhythm. Is this anything to worry about?

2) When your airways are blocked? When I have had a cold or a cough, I can't settle into my normal breathing, and breathing in through my mouth leaves it dry and sore.

3) After an argument? Before my daily time for meditation, I have sometimes fallen out with friends or family, leaving me in a confused and pretty awkward mindset.

My real question is this: if something is stopping you from meditating how you would like to, is it better to skip meditation, or go through with it anyway?

2. susi_gal

susi_gal Member

hmm, i don't know about 2&3, but i have read and heard that 1 is not a good time. you should wait 2 hours after eating before starting a meditation. i wonder about 2&3 myself. my guess is that 3 is actually a good time to mediate, if you could concentrate on your mantra and shut other thoughts out, it might help you drop the inside frustration which is nothing more than your own reaction to whatever happened outside world...

3. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi there, yes it's definately best to wait a couple of hours after a meal.
    If you are in a state after falling out with friends and family, I would suggest you try to calm down before meditation or you'll probably just experience your chatterbox. Try and be calm and focus on the feelings you have in your body at that time and unemotionally observe where they are coming from. Read Michaels reports on "How project meditation can help you." I wish you happiness and joy on your journey of self discovery :) :) :)