1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Are you resisting?

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by pollyanna, Jan 23, 2008.

1. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

I was wondering how you are coping with resistance. Do you ever feel uncomfortable when you are meditating? Do you ever feel irritated when you meditate and feel like stopping? Are you learning to observe unemotionally and realize what once bothered you no longer does? I have realized some quite astounding things in this area for a while and wondered if you had noticed anything specific? Happiness and joy to you :) :) :)

2. Michael Mackenzie

Michael Mackenzie Owner

Nice thread!

I thought this link would be useful here. Resistance

Michael :)

3. Edwin

Edwin Member

completely missed this thread !

I have been successfully meditating ever since I took Michael's free course ( I think it was around november 2007 ) and even today I still sometimes notice I am trying too hard.

I want so much to reach that state of "mental silence" that I am prepared to concentrate fully on my mantra, forcing myself to not wonder off.... but it doesn't work.. it just takes 10 minutes longer to relax, and as soon as I relax, I still wonder off.

I am slowly coming to realise how to let the images and sounds and parts of sentences that come by drift by, but it isn't easy. Mind you, I allready consider myself a successfull meditator. I just want to explore the next step. I don't want to reach a goal, I just want to grow. I hope other people know what I mean. For some reason my meditation seems a very personal thing, and what seems logical to me might seem strange to others because they experiance something completely different.
    am I making sense ?

4. tandm

tandm Member

I am 'so' resisting

I have been very sick this month. I missed more than two weeks of work with bronchitis that felt like a demon took over my body. That...and a strong emotional fall out...lots of tears, completely overwhelmed and thoughts racing back and forth and back again has led me once again to try meditation. I know I have to do something different. Yet. in the past I could not stand the 'irritation' and loud mental chatter for the weeks that it must take me to see that it is 'worth' the effort. I can make myself sit and tell myself to "accept" I can ask myself-- "where is it in my body...does this feeling have to be your enemy...can it be a part of you...?" etc. But there is just such a loud fight in my head sometimes...and even when there isn't a fight I just feel like there are more important things I should do. (I do know that is ridiculous but it is a strong powerful force nonetheless. I found this website through YouTube and downloaded the material on Tuesday. I am at CD 4 and will take Michael's advice (in another post) and return to listening to his earlier CD's and just continue to practice with his guidance. I know I'm not supposed to be seeking results...I just want to feel better. This (writing) is easier for me than that (sitting and practicing). Thanks in advance for listening. I will review Michael's section on Resistance which I'm afraid is where I am at.

5. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi Edwin, I think you're totally on track. It just takes time and patience, especially learning to observe unemotionally. What helped me was reading the reports of Michael's a number of times. It was a lot for me to understand and take in initially but now it makes so much sense. Step by step and not pushing yourself (which I know is not always easy) Just enjoy the journey and the time out and the rest will fall into place. Happiness and joy :) :) :)

6. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi tandm, wow, you only downloaded Discover meditation last Tuesday. In todays busy life it doesn't seem normal to take time out for ourselves for even a little while. If I were you I would temporarily put aside anything you have learned meditation wise, follow Michael's fast track to the letter and read the reports within Learn How you can benefit from Project Meditation. I think you'll surprise yourself very soon. I'll look out for your progress. Happiness and joy :) :) :)