1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Anxiety

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by pollyanna, Apr 8, 2009.

1. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Anxiety, panic attacks, social phobias are some of the fastest growing problems in society today.

The socially anxious person is unable to relax and enjoy themselves in public or even when other people are around because they always feel like others are judging or criticising them.

Even when they are with people they know well they can feel overwhelmed because they perhaps feel that others are observing their every thought and action and ultimately judging them.

Most people who suffer from anxiety, panic attacks or social phobias often don't realize they are not a minority and so they keep quiet about their "condition" because they feel if others knew how much anxiety they experienced every day it would be dreadful - and how would they be thought of then?

I've met a lovely person in the last couple of years through a friend of mine. He has suffered for years with many of the symptoms above and very gradually I have introduced him to meditate with LifeFlow which had helped alleviate some of his anxiety and I could clearly see this. He's only on LF9 and taking things slowly.

However he was still not happy to go out.

Having taken the advice from the community about Magnesium Flakes, I ordered them for him and he has been using them for about a week now.

I mentioned in a recent post how much more he is enjoying his meditations with LifeFlow - the difference in him is unbelievable - he came for a walk around the lake with us this morning and he's coming into the village with us this afternoon after his meditation session :) he's not been to get his own bread for years. It really is like a miracle.

From what I've studied, I totally believe he was/is massively deficient in magnesium - the flakes have given him instant results and now he is able to enjoy meditation without the anxious feelings he has suffered for so long.

Hopefully he will tell his own story on here soon - but one thing at a time :) :) :)

I hope this helps anyone who suffers from social phobias panic attacks or severe anxiety

2. Panthau

Panthau Member

This sounds amazing polly.
    I (and so my little family) suffer from exactly the
    symptoms you mentioned.

I cant wait to try it out. Because my symptoms
    are mostly not equal to the experienced problems.
    I often thought about physical problems, and also took
    some magnesium, which helped a bit but not much.

Thank you for sharing the experience with your friend!

Pan

3. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi Pan, I really look forward to hearing if this helps you also.

My friend postponed the village trip until Saturday - maybe because it was raining - maybe because he needs more time because it's been so long. I will let you know when he takes this brave step for himself.

For now though, I feel how much more relaxed he is and his wife is thrilled at the change in him. He is enjoying his daily meditation much more and he has walked around the lake again and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I wish you, Chris and anyone else fantastic results, peace and joy :) :) :)

4. jeanie

jeanie Member

Hi,

Anxiety and panic attacks were exactly the reason i turned to meditation in the first place.
    I really feel for your friend...its a scary world to be in.
    For whatever reasons your having panic attacks after the first one you do all you can not to have another one (you can see the circle here) you live in constant fear at some level or another. It has a major effect on the quality of life.
    I went to doctors who offered anti-depressants...councilling etc...i researched and researched online for answers when these things didn't work.

All i can say is...when i started meditating i started to feel, at first, a tiny bit more in control of my fear....it was like baby steps...and so it grew to the point that when i felt one coming on i would take my self away in my mind to a secret heaven...i began to notice that i could stop them in their tracks from becoming a full blown panic attacks.
    As soon as i dicovered this....well then i had the power over the fear and after that i found i didn't have to rescue myself as much till it finally no longer was a daily weekly or monthly thing.

I had them bad....there is hope for everyone. Fear is one of the worst inflictions to live with...its very scary...like being a prisoner in your own mind.

I wish your friend well and hope he knows that there are loads of us that know exactly what he is dealing with.

All my best
    :)

5. Panthau

Panthau Member

Just wanted to mention that i stopped the magnesium. Doesnt seem to fit in my life atm, everytime i used it i got feelings of anxiety and felt totaly stressed. Even if it doesnt make sense, cause magnesium is meant to calm you down, its maybe just not the right thing for me atm.

On the other side im using high concentrated vitamin b since years, which helps a lot. Its like taking pills when you´re having a headache, but instead its good for the own stress level hehe.

Pan

6. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi Jeanie, that's wonderful for you and so inspiring for others. I'm so happy for you - the relief you must be feeling must be amazing :)

Pan, I'm sorry the magnesium didn't work out for you - I know you'll succeed though because you have the winning factor - you don't give up ;)

Maybe one step at a time, a little LF meditation each day (even 10 minutes) and the special breathing techniques may bring gradual, incremental improvements into your daily life.

I wish you both an abundance of peace and joy :) :) :)

7. sogno

sogno Member

Dear Pan,

Social phobias and the associated dis-easies shave been around for a very long time; however, nobody would talk about it. Now, we are more open and talk more about our feelings, but these are not new conditions, they always existed, or at least as long as us (people).

I would strongly recommend this book "The Nature of Personal Reality" A Seth book by Jane Roberts, where it is explained that these feelings are all mind made. Easy to say, I know! But they are. I don't believe in chemical imbalance and food substitutes or supplements, in fact, I don't believe much in medicine but I believe that what we make our CORE BELIEF becomes our reality. If you don't want to buy the book, may you could check the following site: -

Seth Excerpts (I): extensive extracts & quotes from Jane Roberts' Seth book The Nature of Personal Reality

In in, you will be able to understand why magnesium has not worked for you but worked for Pollyanna's friend. I'll say no more as it is important that each one of us make our own decisions and discoveries, although I believe that Pollyanna has been fantastic in supporting her friend and what a great success story.

Best of luck and love x

8. sogno

sogno Member

HI Jeanie,

I know what you mean. It's an awful place to be and the fear of having an other attack can bring it on! Doctors are too quick to give pills and advice on what or what not to eat, don't drink or party too much as these will worsen the situation...hey, what about having some fun too. Party is good (with moderation), pills...no no no. I got fed up with it although I only tied pills for a very short time as I don't really believe in medicine, whether conventional or traditional. Nothing really works because it all comes from our mind. They may bring temporary relief but if we don't solve the problem at its core, soon or later, these awful feelings will assault us again. Taking charge of our thoughts is the key. Meditation/chanting (what ever takes your fancy) or a combination of the two helps to gain control, puts life in prospective, and as you said, we learn to recognise the symthoms and consequently create a safe environment within our head.

I am that happy to learn that you gain control over this. Well done. I still get them from time to time; however, I know that I am creating them (although they feel that real nonetheless) and when I do, I too create a safe place within me, observe then and let that pass as I know I have the power to create them and so to stop them too. What I am trying to say is that since I learnt that I create them, I no longer let them stop me from enjoy a full life
    Thank you for sharing this with us

9. Panthau

Panthau Member

Hi sogno and thanks for your reply,

This comes down to the (well known) fact that thoughts
    create our reality. This is easy to say, but hard to transform.

Anyway, i dont know if its our own believe system that makes such a difference like between me and pollys friend. Maybe its more than that, because different substances are responsive for different conditions in our body. Thats something we all believe since a long time, and so i think its not only depending on our "own" believings.

Thanks for the book tip!
    Pan

10. Panthau

Panthau Member

Dont want to make another new thread, but id like to have your suggestions.

I meditated the last days with lvl9, which makes me feel uneasy, as i mentioned already. These days when i meditated with lvl9, i also woke up in the middle of the night (every night) with feelings of deep depression and anxiety. As soon as i stopped lvl9, those nightly wake ups were gone. I didnt had them the first time, but not so intense and often.

Now yesterday i tried a delta entrainment while meditating, and the longer i heared it, the more i felt depressed and anxious. Whats interesting about that is, that these were the same feelings as when i woke up in the night!
    The moment i switched to lvl10 was like flying upwards, my whole body felt like a feather.

So my conclusion is, that theres a big unprocessed emotion that lvl9 brings up. What do you think? And if so, how could i handle it?

Thanks again,
    Pan

11. GilesC

GilesC Member

You likely right Pan. It could be that that extra level of 'deepness' is reaching some repressed or suppressed emotion that needs dealing with. The first step in dealing with that will be recognising what it is or what it relates to. Of course, bringing such an emotion to the surface could also be traumatic in the first instance, so having support around you or being strong minded enough to know that you have techniques to help you deal with it when it does arise, could be essential (e.g. make sure you are ready to use something like EFT to deal with it, as and when it arises).

Hugs

Giles

12. Panthau

Panthau Member

Alright, thanks for your answer. Im glad i found EFT, and having a psychotherapist on my side. I just dont have a clue how to find out whats causing it. On the other hand, it will show by time, i think.

13. Panthau

Panthau Member

Question cleared! :)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  14. sogno

sogno Member

Hi Pan,

I am in the same situation as you. I loved LF10, moved on to LF9 and really hated it; got very edgy and uneasy so I quickly moved on to lf8 and then lf 7. I then realised that I was moving on too fast as I was still feeling quite upset and depressed and anxious. Moved back to lf10 and carried on with it for 2 1/2 months. I love lf10, feels great. I have now been on lf9 for almost 3 weeks. I don't feel as bad as the first time round but I don't feel as good as with lf10. I too think that maybe lf9 brings up unprocessed emotions and because of it, I am going to stick with it this time, untill those emotions are sorted, so to speak. Maybe, and only maybe, lf10 was becaming something like my comfort zone!

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Lots of love

Sogno

15. Panthau

Panthau Member

Hi Sogno,

Its quite interesting how many people report about the same feeling with lvl9! Im sure you´ll get over it, like i did and can then benefit from the deeper lvls!
    Reading experiences helps a lot, doesnt it? :)

I can only recommend to stick with the levels for at least a while, to be able to benefit from the deeper ones...its really worth it! And, btw, if you´ve moved on to the deeper lvls, im sure your comfort zone will move with it ;-)

Pan

16. enlighteneduk

enlighteneduk Member

Thats weird, I got that edgy and uneasy feeling when listening to 10 through headphones, fine without them though. Never had a problem at all with 9, either through headphones or otherwise. Hated 8 to begin with- but getting used to the pipe in the background, still not my favourite, but persevering!!

Heather

17. Franz

Franz Member

Hello everyone. I have had the same experiences moving from LF 10-8. I still continued to use them even though they felt uncomfortable and caused alot of anxiety, which is what i was trying to get rid of. I asked myself "why do I keep doing this if it's causing me to feel what i am trying to get rid of". Then it hit me. Even though I hated feeling the anxiety I started recognizing it more and more. Even before I would start my meditation I would say sarcastically to myself, "here comes the anxiety." I knew I was going to get it. I knew the fear was coming because I always got them while listening to LF. After I realized this, the fear went away. How can I be afraid of something that wasn't afraid of anymore? I cannot explain it but I became not afraid of fear. Weird right? I can literally feel anxiety or fear coming and smile because I know exactly what it is. Think about it. If you are suffering from anxiety and LF causes these feelings to surface, yet we continue to listen to LF, that in itself is telling you yes the fear is strong but I'm stronger...that's a fact. If it wasn't you would have given up LF a while ago. What I did was press play on my entertainment system, listen to LF, expected the anxiety, and went it came I studied it. I started to understand what fear felt like. Just an emotion. Then I started becoming less and less afraid of it because I would make myself feel it day in and day out when I would meditate. Pop the CD in. Know it's going to bring it to the surface for you to deal with. Say to yourself when it comes..."so this is fear. OK great...the more i fight you the stronger you get so let's me become familiar with eachother. OK I feel the sensations in my body...great nothing new. I feel my heartbeating faster...big deal. Is this it?" Then make yourself smile. At that point you will know the only way to stop anxiety and panic attacks is not to get rid of them but to get familiar with them so they do not scare you any longer. Make yourself feel it, welcome it because you know the more you practice and feel it the less it will scare you. I know it's a bit hard to understand but I can tell you I USED to suffer from anxiety and panic attacks. I used no medication what so ever to deal with this. Hope this helps.

Also another bit of advice. I was able to get rid of anxiety and panic attacks for good but you need to know you don't just wake up one day and they disappear. The panic attacks will become less severe but you will still get them temporarily. The gaps between them will grow longer and longer. Instead if every other day it will move to twice a week, then once a week, then once a month, then once every 3 months, etc...then they will totally disappear. Then you will only get the anxious thoughts before the panic attack and know how to stop it. Then the anxious thoughts only come once a week, then once a month etc...then those too will disappear.

I hope this helps. I was there too and I was able to overcome anxiety by looking within. You WILL overcome anxiety. Know this.

18. seatrend8899

seatrend8899 Member

Hi Franz,
    That is classic. Everything I have ever read about combating fear is to face it. And you are using the tool of meditation with lifeflow to face and "observe it". Very impressed at your fortitude.

shine on :) :)

jim

19. Panthau

Panthau Member

Thats great Franz! You did well sticking to it, and overcome the fear! I did it myself,
    and i know it works...just face it, it wont kill you!

So i´d think its like a gift, to be able to face your fears. I for example, have
    fears within me, which i cant reach yet. But thats the way it is, isnt it? :)

20. Franz

Franz Member

Thanks!!! It is like a gift. Imagine to be able to face fear and not be afraid. Then what is fear? Nothing, just an emotion. It opens many doors. You see, what I have learned is that the majority of negativity around us originates from fear. Think about it. Why do we get jealous? We fear someone is better than us. Why do we become greedy at times? We fear we don't have enough. Why is there war? Because we fear we do not have enough resources and need to secure all that we can.

Take your condition and treat it as a gift. You know all this talk about approaching an age where humankinds consciousness shifts and all that jazz. Well here it is. It has been given to you. Our minds are programmed a certain way and we are beginning to overcome that. Why? Because we need to. If we don't humankinds future doesn't look to good. You can feel it. If you want proof make yourself have a panic attack. Yes make yourself have a panic attack. Watch it. See it for what it is. While you're scared and feeling the huge wave of emotion stop and notice the one observing the fear and the panic and anxiety. Thats you. That is the you that is ever so powerful and harmonious. Our minds were not equipped to deal with the stress and speed of information we have today. This is your mind waking up. Up until this point your mind was on autopilot. In this new era we will gain control of our thoughts. That is why more and more people are turning to meditation. It silences your mind. What I have learned is that meditation helps to silence your mind so you can direct your thought to positive things such as love and frienship and the joys of life. It's kind of hard when your old mind keeps shoving the negativity into your brain because it feels it need to do so to survive. Thought is a good thing and can help you achieve your dreams but gaining control of your thought is the first step. Silence your mind...once you do this all the answers you will ever need originate from this silence. Then you can direct your thoughts. Your thoughts will help create the future you want but first you need to silence the negativity in your mind. Without ever experiencing anxiety/panic attacks you would have never dug deep. You would have kept going on with your life living in no control trapped by your pre-programmed mind. Your true self is emerging.

I kind of started rambling there but I want you guys to learn what I have learned. It is so exciting to see the kind of life that emerges once you realize the Truth. I still have much to learn and this is all so exciting to know all of life's joys come from within. You know how anxiety starts...with a negative thought. Then spirals to give you a tidal wave of emotion based on the thought which in this case is fear. What if I told you you can also start with a happy thought and feel that same tidal wave of emotion but it consisting of true happiness and love and joy to the point that it bring tears to your eyes?

Franz