1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Another Newbie

Discussion in 'START HERE: Registration & Introductions' started by Simon, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Simon

Simon New Member

Hi all,

I thought that the 'START HERE: Registration & Introductions' section of the community would be the perfect place for me to say hello so.....

HELLO :D

First off i though id like to say well done to Michael Mackenzie and his team for putting together such wonderfull place where like minded people and newbies alike can share their experiences, queries and thoughts on meditation, i really think this could be very beneficial to many people.

Personally i think this could be just the place for me as i'm a complete novice to meditation and probably know as much about meditation as most people do about how NASA build their space rockets, so im really looking forward to finding out more about meditation from this community!

There are a few reasons why i thought id look into meditation, mainly because i don't sleep too well at times and that makes me kinda grouchy and moody which isn't too nice for those around me! Ive read somewhere that meditation can help with sleep and many other things, although if i'm 100% honest with everybody here i am a bit sceptical about it all but at the same time im willing to step out and try something different.

So if anyone has any advice on the best way to get started and to maybe overcome my scepticism that'd be great!

Until later,

Simon

P.S. Happy 2008 to all! :)

2. Ariel

Ariel Member

Welcome to the community Simon,

I to was rather sceptical with meditation but I decided in the end the benefits I would experience would be greater so I said to myself feel the fear and do it anyway ;)

I would highly recommend using 35 of your karma credits to download discover meditation it’s great. After that maybe you could try life flow 10 I am yet to try this however everyone is raving on about how great it is. I have just started listening to the discover meditation cd’s and it is SO easy to do. I have tried TM in the past and I found it rather difficult. I gave it my best shot and I often experienced some deep meditative states however nothing good enough to keep me going. So in the end I gathered it wasn’t right for me. So here I am a few years later 

The community is a great place to come to, as you can ask any questions and get great advice when in the first stages of learning meditation.

Good luck and I hope you find the correct technique for you.

Happy New Year

Ariel x

3. celistina

celistina Member

Hi Simon, welcome to the forums!

If you have been having problem with sleeping and balancing your emotions in the day, I'll personally vouch that meditation does indeed make you sleep better and your overall well being! After I meditated, I am able to slip into sleep almost instantly and enjoy true quality sleep and wake up feeling absolutely refreshed. Before this, I would take a while to fall into sleep and/or have clutter in my mind during my dreams/sleep. In terms of my moods during the day, I find that I'm more detached and calmer towards what happens - sort of like I'm watching situations unfold from a third person's perspective and objectively evaluate vs. being impulsive.

4. Peaceful Warrior

Peaceful Warrior New Member

5. Simon

Simon New Member

Thanks for the responses guys!!!!

Hi Ariel and thanks for taking time out to reply to my post and welcome me to the community. I have managed to download the Discover Meditation CD's by using 35 of my Karma Credits, although i have yet to actually try the course out. I keep finding things get in my way like work and stuff and i know they're probably not actually in my way, im probably only thinking they are, i guess i've just got to try and get out of that way of thinking! As for LifeFlow 10, i've also read some good things about it in the community and it does sound like something that wuld be extremely interesting to try, maybe i'll get myself going with Discover Meditation first and then try LifeFlow after that.

Hi Celestina and thank you for my welcome, everyone on here seems to be very friendly an welcoming which is nice, especially as im new to meditation, i think it helps to have a welcoming group of people that are willing to advise and help!

Wow it seems like meditation has worked really well for you, do you meditate using the Discover Meditation course that Michael offers? If so i think i may have just got a helping kick up the butt to get me to try as i am the same as you used to be Celestina, i can lie awake in bed for hours at a time sometimes even though im not actually concentrating on anything or thinking about anything in particular i just don't seem to stop thinking in general.

It would be great to be able to cut out all the nonsense that is going on in my head and get a good nights sleep as i'm sre that my moodyness is down to my lack of sleep.

Thank you again for sharing you experiences with me, this is just the kind of stuff that i think can make this community great for everyone and can help to inspire newbies like myself!!

Hey there PW, that's a really interesting post that Michael has put up, along with all the other things that have been said in the forum it certainly helps to make LifeFlow a very interesting proposition and something that i am getting stronger urges to look into furher!!

Thanks a lot for bringing it to my attention!!

6. Edwin

Edwin Member

Hi Simon !

I started with the meditation course 3-4 months ago, before this wonderfull forum got started, for the very same reason as you did !
    I had much trouble relaxing, and because of that I kept having those terrible thought-loopholes that keep racing through your head while in fact you should be sleeping.
    I slept about 4 hours a night because I was so stressed out !
    Within a week I slept better, and in about 2 weeks I felt like a new man !

I was very sceptical towards LifeFlow myself, and to be honest, I am still not sure if it is the binaural sounds or the soothing sounds that work with me : but work it does ! I enjoy meditation far more with LifeFlow than without it, but I have not the slightest clue why :p

My personal advice to you is:

Try the meditation course for at least 2 weeks without LifeFlow first, and PLEASE keep on going with it, perseverance is the key here !

After that, download lifeflow 10, and try to see if it works for you.
    if it does, my personal favourite LF track before going to sleep is LF-2, it works wonders and I only sleep bad if I forget to meditate for more than 2 days in a row ( I am one of those suckers that actually does forget to do so every once in a while )

Enjoy your meditations and I sincerely hope you get the same results as me !

7. celistina

celistina Member

Hi Simon!

Yes I (re)started on meditation from the discover meditation courses offered by Michael :) In fact he makes it so easy and guides you through the whole thing that all you really need to do is block out that 15-30 minutes of your time, press play on your media player and then follow his instructions. Try it and let us know the effects! I can tell you that you will definitely see improvements in your insomnia situation! :)

8. Simon

Simon New Member

Hello to the Project-Meditation community once again!

Firstly i'd like to appologise for not replying sooner to your posts, this is not because i don't value them or the community, i've simply been distracted by other things that i've needed to do, but im back now and i shall try to reply to all posts in a much more timely fashion!

Secondly i'd like to say thanks to Edwin & celistina for replying to my post with such great advice! I shall now try to reply to you both in the same manner.

Hi Edwin, after reading the post that you left for me it gave me some confidence and a push in the right direction to get started with using Discover Meditation and i have since started to use Discover Meditation although nowhere near as often as i think i should do, so far i've managed to do it once a day but only managed to do it for two days on the run once. The rest of the time i just keeping putting it off, i keep thinking to myself 'ohh i'll do it later when it's quite' but that never happens, i really need to get myself past this point in order to gain the benefits that you have talked of! There is a new week coming and i want to start that week off in the best way possible by really focusing on trying to practice Discover Meditation as often and as regularly as possible!

Once again thank you for your inspiring reply!

Hi Celistina,

Thank you also for your reply, i did take the advice from yourself and Edwin, although i didn't follow through as well as i wanted to (as you can see in my reply to Edwin), although i did feel that little bit better for it and also i had a few strange moments whilst practicing discover meditation....

When i have been practicing Discover Meditation i follow all of Michael's instructions to the letter, i make sure im comfortable in my clothing and position and that i will not be disturbed, i even light some candles in my room so that when i open my eyes the room is not too bright and is peaceful looking and even smells nice from two of the scented candles that i use. With all of this set i settle down and begin but i find that during my meditation, somewhere around three quarters of the way through i find that head suddenly developes the urge to flop down uncontrollably.

As you could imagine this shocked me quite a bit, so much so that i opened my eyes, although i did close them again pretty quickly. I carried on with my meditation but this happened another two or three times during my practice. I'm not sure what caused this and it has happened the last few times that i have meditated, so i was wondering if anybody else has experienced this kind of thing when practicing meditation and if so do you know what it means? Does it go away? Or am i doing something wrong?

Thanks a lot for all your replies so far and long live the community :)

Simon

P.S. I'll try my best to answer much more quickly from now on so that you all don't have to put up with my big posts hee hee :p

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  9. karl v

karl v Member

Hello everyone

hi everyone, i'm new here. would be grateful if anyone could give some pointers or help with the big idea of meditation.

//karl