1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Another brand-newbie, need help

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by gadgetguy35, Apr 8, 2010.

1. gadgetguy35

gadgetguy35 Member

I just started to research meditation and I have to say, I feel totally lost. I was diagnosed as ADHD as a child, and my mind races constantly. I can't seem to slow it down for anything. I read all these posts about minutes upon minutes of blissful silence, and I want to be a part of it. I want to find my "happy place" as it were and be truly happy. I suffer from severe anxiety and restlessness. I know I probably sound like every newbie here, but I honestly feel that I need help. I don't want to go to counseling, the deep breathing observations I have started are already doing more for me than anything ever has. My blood pressure is dropping from red to yellow, and my doctor is encouraging me to pursue meditation. I don't even know where to start. What should I do? Should I use a Mantra? What is a Mantra? I am completely wet behind the ears here, please help!

2. Panthau

Panthau Member

Hi there,

Theres this "Discover Meditation" course (top of the page), which should show you the first steps into meditation. Using a mantra or not is a matter of taste, you can find plenty of posts here about that topic. I personally prefer to watch my breath while meditating.

So meditation is concentrating on one thing, which leads to not thinking or to "not attach" to thinking. Thats the point when you are "meditative".

Besides that, you have to be clear about the fact, that all what happens inside you, is your most inner choice. You may begin to meditate, you may begin to do this or that, but in the end you´ll see that every feeling, thought and reaction is your most inner choice, something that you can only change within you. You can decide to pay attention to your thoughts, and you can decide to be happy about a situation or not.

Anyway, starting with meditation isnt a bad thing if your restless :)

Atb,
    Pan

3. Edwin

Edwin Member

One of the things you will learn from meditation is that you don't have to. Like Pan said, try the meditation course that this site offers ( for free ) and in time you will learn that you can't control thoughts, and you don't have to.
    Even tho I can understand that, I would advice you to forget about this goal for now. Most people experience this silence after months if not years of meditation practice. For now your goal should be meditation. When you meditate every day, you will have succeeded in your goal.
    The mantra technique is often considered the "bulldozer" amongst meditation techniques. By repeating a word and gently focusing your attention on that word, you divert your attention away from other thoughts. Don't expect this to work right away, you are not superman ( or should I say supermonk :p ).
    If you find that your mind keeps racing, don't worry, this is actually part of the meditation practice. When you notice that you seem immersed in thought, simply gently direct your attention back to your mantra.

But all this is allready covered in the excellent free meditation course. Try it ! :)

4. gadgetguy35

gadgetguy35 Member

I downloaded the Discover meditation course last night after i posted here. I listened to the first CD and then the second. I have to say that it was very surprising just how easy it seemed. I was having a little trouble with errant thoughts, but every time I focused on my mantra, it did indeed act as a bulldozer and in it's wake there was silence. I treated my thoughts as clouds like Michael said to, and they drifted on by. Is it ok to visualize a little bit in the beginning? I found the whole process was a little easier if I visualized myself in a boat floating down a blue stream with green grass and trees all around me, and placed each though in a cloud. Every time I focused on my mantra, the clouds would move and I would be clear. Each session on CD 2 lasted only about ten minutes, but they flew by to me. I had thought I would be sitting there thinking about how bored I was. I was totally not bored! I have never felt so peaceful in my life and I loved every minute!

Thanks for the quick responses, I really appreciate it. Out of the threads I have read, you two seem to be the most knowledgeable and I am thankful you read my post. It would seem that there is a way past this inner turmoil of mine, and I am filled with hope.

5. GilesC

GilesC Member

Of course it is. Whatever helps you feel comfortable and get used to meditating can only be for your good can't it. ;)

Yes, when meditating, time becomes something that passes without awareness. That's a good sign that you were doing good meditation.

What you may notice is that each meditation session can differ. There may be times when you find it easy and times when your mind is full of thoughts. This is normal, so just accept it and keep meditating.

I guess I'll have to come in third place then. :rolleyes:

There certainly is a way past it and now that you've experienced that, you know it to be true for yourself and you know that it works. That knowledge will help you to persist with the meditation.

Well done. :)

Hugs

Giles

6. gadgetguy35

gadgetguy35 Member

Sorry Giles, I forgot about you! I really felt as though time had stopped for me during my longest session. When the bell rang and michael began to speak again, I was actually startled. I wasn't sleeping because I was still aware of my body, but I jumped! So weird. I am finding it easier now to keep my head clear during the day as well. I love this!

7. Edwin

Edwin Member

*Stroking ego mode*

I would rather think of it as a shared first place :D

*exit stroking ego mode*

I may not be the most knowledgeable person in this forum, but I am certainly the loudest :cool:

8. Panthau

Panthau Member

I am glad that our responses helped. Its a give and take, and some day maybe you´ll give me a good tip :)

Theres no way "past" anything, just hug your turmoil and take it in... its created by your mind and its cast out of your mind... how can it ever be peaceful that way? ;-)

And thanks for the flowers, but to be honest im just sharing what ive learned from my intution, books, life experience and last but not least the wisdom of these guys here :)

Never! That place is mine :p

9. GilesC

GilesC Member

Shhhh! there's people meditating. :D

10. Edwin

Edwin Member

Oops ! :eek: Sorry Giles ;)

11. gadgetguy35

gadgetguy35 Member

You guys are funny. I have continued the meditation and it seems to be getting easier. I even have my wife doing it and she is amazed. I guess I can only go up from here eh? I love the silence, even if it is only for a few seconds, it is wonderful. I love it that I can deflect thoughts and no longer dwell on everything. I am still struggling with quieting my mind in the beginning of the session, but as it progresses, I fall deeper into a quiet state. Should I be meditating longer than 10 minutes?

12. Edwin

Edwin Member

Stop struggling. Accept the fact that the mind isn't always quiet. Whatever you do, don't try to "will" your thoughts away. I wish I had gotten that advice when I first started meditation
    You can safely try 20 minutes.

13. gadgetguy35

gadgetguy35 Member

When you say "Safely", what could happen? is it physically dangerous to try longer? or will it just be counterproductive?

14. GilesC

GilesC Member

Most people new to meditation will start with 10 or 15 minutes and gradually build it up from there.
    When someone learns Transcendental meditation they aim to reach 20 minutes meditation twice a day.
    With the downloaded Lifeflow tracks from this site, these last 40 minutes, but it's not necessary to do the full 40 minutes, however it's not dangerous to do so.

Some more experienced meditators will meditate for up to 1 hour a couple of times a day.

And if you were to become a monk in some buddhist practices they can spend all day meditating. However I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who's new to meditation.

Over meditating can be detrimental, emotionally and in your life, so just do what you are comfortable with. ;)

Hugs

Giles

15. gadgetguy35

gadgetguy35 Member

I am going to aim for 20 minutes. It is getting harder to squeeze in my meditation because my job just got hectic(someone quit). Like yesterday for example. First off, my standard schedule involves both evening and overnight shifts, so I am used to it, but yesterday I was scheduled to work an evening. I got up at 730, went to Six flags and planned on being to work at 430. I got a call at 230 to come in and work an overnight, get off at 730 this morning and be back at work today at 1500. that gives me around 6.5 hours to shower, eat, sleep, and hopefully meditate. Not gonna happen. What do you guys do in situations like this? It's not always like this, it just will be until we hire a new guy.

16. GilesC

GilesC Member

In situations like that (I'm doing overtime at work at the minute too, so I know where you're coming from), you can simply just fit in more 3 or 4 minutes meditations whenever you get time during the day (meditate on the toilet if you must :D) Whilst you're not going to be able to use something like Lifeflow at such times (as you tend to need longer to get into it), you can still meditate and bring yourself to a place of calm and simply Be in the present moment. Every bit helps.

Being in a state of mindfullness is also considered a form of meditation. As they say in our practical philosophy class... "simply connect with the working surface" i.e. be aware of your senses... the touch of the fingers on the keyboard, the pen you are holding as you write, the sound of the voice as someone speaks to you and you speak to them etc. Mindfullness keeps you present and help prevent unnecessary thoughts.

Hugs

Giles

17. gadgetguy35

gadgetguy35 Member

Preventing unnecessary(undesired) thoughts is what I strive for, and I have started to simply repeat my mantra a few times when I get a minute. I have been unable to get complete quiet safely, because I work overnight a lot and if I get close to my meditative state, I will fall asleep! Hopefully this week will mark the last of the extreme shifts, and I will will be able to get back into the swing of meditating twice a day. Thanks for the reply Giles, it all helps!