Anapanasati in Daily Life

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by satsujin, Apr 25, 2015.

1. satsujin

satsujin Member

I have just read part of the Buddhist text pn Anapanasati and it is given as the method of meditation the the Buddha used to acheive complete enlightenment. I am wondering if it is possible to bring anapanasati(mindfulness of breathing) into every aspect of life. It seems possible while walking and waiting but not so simple when focused on something like reading or watching tv. When focused on something Vipassana seems more possible.
    Does anyone have any experience at practicing anapanasati on more complex situations of everyday life?

2. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi Satsujin,

please accept my apologies for such a late reply :) I have been travelling the last few weeks and the community has been very quiet in the last few months. People have come and gone here and left a wealth of information that can be checked out. That being said, I don't recall anything about Anapanasati and I have not read this book myself as yet. I have been enjoying Dr. Wayne Dyer's "Change your thoughts - change your life"... Living the wisdom of the Tao on my travels.

Back to your question, here's something I hope may be of help to you...

As I sat outside earlier this morning watching a little red squirrel whilst enjoying my morning coffee and planning my day, the sun broke through the clouds and reminded me once again that it's always there, just covered by the clouds sometimes. The same applies to us. We are spiritual beings having a human experience; we are all connected with the whole power of the universe, God or whatever you choose to call it. Through the practise of entering the stillness within we become more and more aware of the essence of our Self. When we are engaged in activities we can be right there, in that moment rather than allow thoughts created by the mind to distract us from what we are doing right NOW. At any time we choose, we can stop and enter the space within regardless of what is going on and to know we have the choice is quite indescribable. I hope this helps and wish you an abundance of peace and joy :) :) :)

3. satsujin

satsujin Member

Thanks for the reply Pollyana. No worries about the time especially since I have had what I consider to be a spiritual revelation day before yesterday. A voice in my head(claiming to be God) said we have no purpose except to Just Be since the future is uncertain and anything can happen. We can be positive, be negative, be uncaring. Since life is better for all without negative experience it is better to be positive and try to make positive experiences for others. We may muck it up and make it worse for them but usually it works so I try to improve life for others(mostly my family) even on the smallest scale.

I have come to view the universe as an infinite consciousness experiencing itself finitely. It is easy to Just Be since that is the basic thing we can do while alive, less easy to do it without negative thoughts. This seems to fit with what I consider to be Tao: enjoy life as it IS, if you cant, try to make it better, if you cant, accept what IS. The accepting may be the hardest part especially for those with clinical depression or inabilities to support those they care about.

I have decided to switch from mindfulness of breathing to mindfulness of consciousness --- the awareness within. Sort of like Gurdjieff's self-remembering which is pretty hard for me over a long period of time. So your post was interesting and timely. If you can recommend any texts regarding these thoughts I would appreciate it. I will try and get my hands on the book mentioned in your previous post.

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  4. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi Satjusin,

I will most certainly post any relevant text I come across here for you. Here's something that has helped me tremendously. I have mentioned in the community that my reason for wanting to meditate initially was because I wanted to gain access to "the great universal power" (for want of a better description) I'd read about in a number of personal growth books. I had "tried" a number of meditation techniques and a couple of entrainment programmes with little success. Discover Meditation and LifeFlow taught me to "not try" just simply accept and allow.

In doing so, I also learned to read the "good books" as I call them in the same way rather than desperately trying to find solutions in them. The point I am attempting to make is that I've come to realize that people want to meditate for a variety of reasons - in my personal case, it was the missing link to my progress with the purpose I had already established in my life. One thing I know for sure is that there will always be challenges in life - I now know to look for the lesson in whatever is presented to me and discover some great opportunities within them.

In a nutshell, I passionately believe we have either been put here or have chosen to be here for a purpose. Some of the belief systems we create in our early days can hamper and limit our human potential. Experiencing the inner peace, the stillness, letting go of the things that hold you back is incredibly liberating.

I hope you can relate to this in some way and wish you an abundance of peace and joy :) :) :)