1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Am I going too fast?

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Gotehacha, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Gotehacha

Gotehacha Member

Hello,

I'm meditating regularly since January 2014. I began with Lifeflow in February.
    This month I'm using LL 8. I'm meditating 20 minutes per day using the "short version".

Still, I don't see any changes in my meditation practice. I'm using the mantra technique from "Discover Meditation".
    My mind is as scattered as I began with Lifeflow.
    In my daily life I am more relaxed and not as stressed out as before mediation. I also adopted a new mindset, so I'm guessing it's a mixture of benefits from meditation and my new "lifestyle".

I'm still wondering if I'm moving down the tracks too fast as I'm often lost in thoughts during meditation.
    I've read the thread Principles of Meditation by Ta-tsu-wa but I'm still not sure.

Can someone give me some insight? Should I rather choose a 60-day-interval?

Thank you.

2. GilesC

GilesC Member

Well, firstly, there's little point in having expectations about the meditation practice itself. Typically when we meditate, we'll experience whatever we experience... for some people that will be pretty much consistent from time to time, and for others it will vary. The thing is that the meditation is doing what it needs to do in bringing about a greater awareness in yourself, and the most benefits of meditation are experienced, not during the practice, but in our daily lives; and as you say, in your daily life you are more relaxed and less stressed, so you are already starting to realize the benefits.

If you feel it may be going too quickly through the lifeflow tracks, then sure, slow down a little and change it from every 30 days to every 40, 50 or 60 days etc. as you want; but certainly I wouldn't consider that it's not helping you from what you've said; in fact I'd say that you're noticing a difference already, and that's good.

It's quite common to get lost in thoughts during meditation, even for the experienced meditator. We can have a good mediation where our focus remains mainly constant, yet we can still have meditations, where we don't manage to maintain the focus... but the point is not to beat ourselves up about it, but to just carry on and know that it's not always going to be that way, and meditation is going to help in the long run.

Hope that helps

Hugs

Giles

3. Gotehacha

Gotehacha Member

Wow, that was a VERY helpful respons, Giles.

My guess was already in this direction but having heard it from another (more experienced) person helps alot.

Perhaps I still suffered from the expectation that I will get a "better" meditator with practice. :p

Your response helps in inspiring me to continue.

4. GilesC

GilesC Member

I wouldn't say that we get "better" at meditating, but I would say that our increased awareness allows the practice of meditation to become less of a burden on us (we all experience that time when we've tried meditating for a few days or weeks when we think "I don't know if I have time for this"). The practice starts to become a part of our daily lives, so in that sense we're not getting better at meditating, we're just getting better at living. ;)

Hugs

Giles