1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Am I doing this right?

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by satsujin, Jun 3, 2014.

1. satsujin

satsujin Member

Hi folks,

I have been meditating for about 2 weeks now. Initially, my focus was on my breath(navel to be specific) but my goal was a silent mind so I decided to try meditation without any specific focus.

I moved towards a technique where I just maintained awareness and had only 2 types of distractions. Awareness with thoughts breaking through or loss of awareness by being lost in thought. I do about 20 mins of meditation twice per day and the latter occurrence happened about 1-2 times and when I realized I had lost awareness I would shutdown whatever I was lost in thought of and return to contemplation of silent awareness. The former happened many times. I wouldn't try to shut down the thoughts that break through but would return to contemplation of a silent awareness of mind.

I wanted to know if I am on the right track. I realize 2 weeks is nothing in meditation time but I would like to know if I am taking the right steps...

Thanks in advance...

2. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi satsujin and welcome to the community :)

I think the simplest way to know if meditation is helping you is to notice if you feel calmer and able to handle situations in your daily life more easily. Here's a link that you may find really helpful:-

http://www.project-meditation.org/c...nciples-meditation-entrainment.html#post12298

Hope this helps. Look forward to hearing how you progress and wish you much peace and joy :) :) :)