1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Am I doing it right??

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Luscious, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Luscious

Luscious Member

Hi,

When I meditate I usually sit and I listen to my breathing and be aware of my diaphragm rising and falling. Sometimes I will count and when my my mind wanders I gently bring it back to the breathe. Other times I will say the words in and out with my breathe and again observe my wandering mind.

I have noticed that I never observe and think simultaneously. I think, then I notice that I was just having a thought in past tense. Some teachings mention this observer and call it awareness, timeless presence etc etc. But for me it just appears to be another thought about a previous thought.
    For example Im sitting and breathing, repeating the words in my mind "in and out" , these are thoughts right? Then my mind starts thinking about something I was doing earlier, this is another thought. I notice this and say to myself "thinking" This is just another thought is it not?

I dont see or feel any evidence of this so called awareness. Its just one thought after another, one is more controlled and the other is random.
    I have been doing this for a year now and although it helps me in my day to day life I dont see any timeless presence whatever that is. I have read the power of now and Eckjarte Tolle talks about this presence a lot.

Is this how its meant to be or am I missing something or doing my meditation wrong?

2. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator