1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Alcohol and/or caffeine - how do they affect your meditation?

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by NeuralNet, Mar 29, 2009.

1. NeuralNet

NeuralNet Member

Hi All,

I've read repeatedly that both alcohol and caffeine both affect meditation (not being drunk meditating, but having some the day before, etc).

However I'm a newcomer, but so far, I haven't noticed much difference myself and wondered what your experience of using either was, either good or bad?

NN

2. Kendoji

Kendoji Member

Hi NeuralNet,

In my experience, a bit of alcohol the day before doesn't have a huge effect on meditation. But I do remember when I was younger and was meditating more intensively I'd notice the slight loss of clarity very clearly, even if I'd only had one or two glasses of wine the day before.

I used to do a lot of 'regular' meditation, and actually always found caffeine to be quite helpful and pleasant. A few years back I was living at Buddhist monasteries and often would have strong coffee before long sittings (a lot of the monks in my tradition did the same). With entrainment (like LifeFlow), however, which is something I see as totally separate and different to meditation, I find caffeine to be a hindrance. I'm relatively new to entrainment, but caffeine tends to make it less likely that I'll settle completely into the entrainment.

Ken

3. Inedible

Inedible Member

I could write a book about how alcohol and caffeine have an effect on your meditation even days afterward, but the important thing is that they deplete your body of resources. Even levels of dehydration that do not cause you to feel thirsty can have a negative impact on your ability to concentrate. Additionally you will lose vitamins and minerals. In the beginning you may not be sensitive to the effects, but they are still present, and as your ability to concentrate improves you will increasingly notice the effects of things like alcohol and caffeine. Releasing stress is one of the functions of meditation. Anything that you do which puts more stress in your body and mind is going to counter the effects of meditation. It is like driving while using the brake and the gas pedal at the same time. When you do something like that, you are more likely to get unintended side effects.

4. seatrend8899

seatrend8899 Member

Hi NN,

You may have answered your own question on your previous post:

The time line of use of alcohol, drugs and caffeine relating to time of meditation/LifeFlow are outlined on this forum...gotta dig the rules up :confused::confused: though.
    Please give the time lines of use some consideration to see if there are still issues.
    Another suggestion from Gus (Bushmaki) given on this forum is to reduce the volume on the LifeFlow track till it is very low as the entrainment will still function.

take care

jim

5. NeuralNet

NeuralNet Member

thanks jim useful advice and yeah I guess they are related posts. I was just wondering how they affect everyone else here and what the signs to watch are.