1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Age and Awakening

Discussion in 'START HERE: Registration & Introductions' started by Fergusclan, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Fergusclan

Fergusclan Member

Hi all,

I've been around for a while here, mostly a lurker:eek: I am interested in hearing about when in your life your awakening began and did something noteable cause the shift or was it just a progression.

I am 35 years old and can say that for myself, it was in the past 18 months that my "real" journey has begun. There was a series of events that lead me to Tolle. I discovered this site just before my birthday in February and have purchased LifeFlow as well.

Back to what I was pondering.... how old were you when you left unconsciousness?

Ferg

2. CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown Member

38, with a story very similar to yours.

I was very engaged as a youngster, then I started losing interest in the world and in myself as I "aged", now I guess I hit the middle-life crisis and I started "rebuilding" whatever was possible to rebuild.

3. GilesC

GilesC Member

For me it's been more of a progression thing, not just a sudden switch over to enlightenment, and I guess I'm still progressing all the time.

When did it start... hmmm.... perhaps back around 2003/2004 I guess, although I've always had an inquisitive mind from the moment, I guess, my ego mind took over. That must mean that I've always been trying to get back to that state of innocence we are born with. ;)

Hugs

Giles

4. Panthau

Panthau Member

For me its a bit different, because i had this "knowledge" of being awake from the begin(?) - i was just not aware of it. I have a unmistakable intuition for what leads me in the right direction and what not, and everytime i see/hear/read something thats true, its like i remember it and it becomes part of my picture of the whole thing.

But im not awaken yet, not even nearly... but i know where i stand and i see the path (at least a bit). Does someone understand this, beside me? *lol*

5. Fergusclan

Fergusclan Member

Sounds to me like you have been awakened. My interpretation is as follows for what it's worth. Most of us go through life completely unconscious.

Ego/mind at the forefront of our personality and living in it's illusion of what is, your interpretation of the past or expectation of the future. Some of us will have glimpses of consciousness, or satori, those "ah ha" moments. You describe your intuition and that you are conscious of it. I enterpret this as "awakened", Pan. You are awakened to the oneness with everything, the battle is now freeing this from the mind. This awareness is what starts the process of enlightenment, the challenge is getting over the mind.

From what I understand, "enlightened" is the natural state of felt oneness with being. (Tolle) You are free from the mind. I understand this as an ongoing enlightened state. When the "incessant mental noise" is gone.

Having written this down, I now wonder if we drift in and out of enlightenment or is enlightenment the end of suffering and awakening is like our "teaser trailer" of what is to come with time, practice and patience.

Thoughts??

6. Fergusclan

Fergusclan Member

As always Giles, you stimulate reflection with the words you write. You really are a gift. Your last sentence talking about getting back to the state of innocence we are born with hit me. I recently had my third child (well I didn't, my wife did, I was there though;)) Every day, I just get lost in my son's presence. He is just present. I am drawn to just "be" with him. My other two (5&8) have developing minds/egos. I get the same feeling about being around them when they are completely present (dance recital, skating etc). Other times, they drive me nuts, in a parent sort of way!

Your tongue in cheek analogy is bang on my friend. There is so much to learn from a baby!

7. Fergusclan

Fergusclan Member

And one last note about age- Happy Birthday tomorrow Edwin! :D

8. Panthau

Panthau Member

Thanks for your feedback Fergusclan, sounds logical to me. I thought that beeing awaken is more like beeing "there". I know the "there" but im lost in my ego and my mind. But its true, im learning to let it go. Nevertheless i feel like a little child on this board :)

9. Fergusclan

Fergusclan Member

I hear you my friend! I have the same daily struggle. It makes it a lot easier being aware of how my mind works and it does seem to be easier to recognize and see my mind for what it is.

10. Edwin

Edwin Member

Geez you guys really keep track on things !

My journey started about 5 years ago. I had just turned 30, and started Jiu Jitsu. I had been doing this for a few years, when I started meditation. This was due to stress at work and insomnia resulting from that.

Meditation didn't work that well until I tried the free course of PM.
    Like Giles, it is an ongoing thing, and some things are easyer to let go than others. However, I still notice the guidance from all directions, the universe is pushing me in the direction I am supposed to go, and all I can do is follow.