1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

advice please re falling asleep during meditation

Discussion in 'START HERE: Registration & Introductions' started by BS, Oct 28, 2009.

1. BS

BS Member

Hi all, as i always get such fab advise, im back with another ;)

When i am meditating, im sometimes not sure if i actually fall asleep rather then being in a deep state of mind??

sometimes, I am aware of my surroundings, but feel a deep state of relaxation, i know this as toward the end of the cd i all of a sudden become completely aware that i am meditating and not actually asleep, and then the cd ends...... so im guessing something brings you back round???

however, other times, i dont even remember feeling relaxed, so assume i have dropped off :eek: but again toward the end, its almost like someone gives you that gentle nudge to wake you up.

Also, while im on this subject. When i do my two minute silence at the end, i could have been completely aware that i was meditating, but fall alseep during this two minutes.

Cant wait to hear what you all have tell me, as always im sure it will be helpful, informative and most of all make me smile.

Big hugs to all :):):)

2. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi BS,

Firstly, are you lying down or sitting/kneeling when meditating?
    Secondly, at what times of the day do you meditate? (upon waking in the morning? before going to sleep? etc.)

Hugs

Giles

3. BS

BS Member

Hi Giles :)

i am sitting up, and always meditate at night time, well evening..... normally about 8ish, as this is the only me time i get!!

I do have very early mornings and am up at 5.30 i really couldnt get up any earlier than to do, so i have to keep a night time slot!

x :)

4. GilesC

GilesC Member

Ok, I understand about the morning thing. I used to get up at 5:30 too and wouldn't have wanted to get up earlier than that, but fortunately got myself another job more local to home which means I can now get up at 6:00 and do my meditation etc. until about 7:00 before getting ready for work.

If you're meditating in the evening, it's more likely that your body will want to fall asleep especially if you've been up since 5:30 and you've been working all day. Your body is seeing the relaxation of meditation as the opportunity to go into sleep/regeneration mode.

It's good that you are sitting to do it. Make sure that if the seat is supporting you, it's just your back it's supporting and not your neck and head as this is just too comfortable and will lead to sleep. If you're sitting supporting your own head, this can help you notice if you are dropping off as your head will start to tilt forward or backward and it will wake you up again.

If you're already doing that and your head isn't lolling about, then it's likely you aren't actually sleeping, but just going into the meditative state. (it's still possible for your head to loll whilst meditating, but you're not so likely to notice as much or you will still be offering it support enough)

If you're not remembering even being relaxed this could actually be a good deep meditative state. In such a state, we actually let go of the concept of time. and 20, 30, 40 minutes, whatever, can pass as if it was just a minute. ("I've only just started meditating! Where's the time gone?")

As for the end of the CD bringing you back round, we enter the state of meditation with the intention that the meditation is for the length of the CD, so our unconscious mind takes that on board and will give us that kick back out of the meditative state when we reach the end of the CD. The senses are still working during meditation, but we have become detached from processing them, as we do with the thoughts. It is only the "end meditation trigger" or "obvious danger/emergency" trigger that will bring us out. I've had my girlfriend walk into the room and do things (so she tells me) and I've not even been aware of it, as clearly she presented no danger to me whilst in the meditative state.

Hugs

Giles

5. Edwin

Edwin Member

If this happens it can either be a loss of sensation of time during meditation, or a phenomenan known in India as Samadhi. Loss of time is just a natural proces in meditation, but Samadhi is a complete loss of all consciousness, as if the entire brain goes blank. It feels quite comfortable, but you don't gain anything from it.

Try to find out if during those periods that seemed to rush by, you still remember every moment. When meditating with LifeFlow this is quite easy, because when suddenly the track has ended and you don't remember having listened to it for the full 40 or 60 minutes, that is Samadhi.
    If you have listened tot the full track, but you get this "time flies when you are having fun" sensation, you have had a very good meditation session.

But don't let this stop you from trying. Either way, whatever happens, is perfect in this moment. This goes for every experience in meditation. And life as well by the way.