1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Addicted to Meditation?

Discussion in 'Mind, Body & Spirit' started by islovin, Jun 9, 2009.

1. islovin

islovin Member

I am actually replying to a quote I read in RAVO's post...I hope you read this RAVO.

Maybe someone can walk me through the quote thing but for now I will just type what Ravo wrote in another post.

He said " I sound like a drug addict."

Well Ravo...I feel like a drug addict. I feel I am addicted to meditation. I typically only meditate once per day just before I go to bed with LifeFlow. Occasionally, I will meditate when I wake up in the morning and also sometimes during a particularly stressful day I will do a short gratitude meditation or some other type of light shorter meditation. BUT I can't stop talking about the way I feel and the changes I am going through. I know my friends are a little bored with my talk of meditation but most of them can see a positive change in me even if the don't feel like hearing about it.

I am wondering if the release of endorphins is what I feel addicted to? I know that runners who run on a consistent basis get whats called the "runners high" and I have heard that they do become addicted to running.

I do feel that even though I don't think I have an addictive personality...that during this time in my life if I wasn't being so introspective...I might be doing some other type of behavior...possibly drinking. I don't really have a desire to drink and even socially it is not as appealing to me as it was in the past. Now it seems that it is more important for me to have a really clear head.

SO my question is have I just replaced other possible addictive behaviors such as poor eating habits, smoking and drinking alcohol with meditation??? :eek:

What are your thoughts?

Anyone else feeling this way?

Thanks for your input....

Irene

2. seatrend8899

seatrend8899 Member

Irene, in my viewpoint, in a word....yes. It stands to reason that an activity that releases stress and "just feels good" would be appealing. I use the "addiction tag" for activities that are unhealthy :).

Just a thought

shine on

jim

3. Panthau

Panthau Member

I wouldnt call it addicted in your case. Someone who is addicted would spend 6h+ a day i guess, thats where its going to be unhealthy.

Im meditating since 8 months and i do only the 40mins but even that is sometimes too much for me...im always on the run :)

4. Ta-tsu-wa

Ta-tsu-wa Member

Irene

No, you haven't replaced one addiction for another. Addiction is characterized as an unhealthy, obsessive compulsion towards something that is either detrimental to the person directly in some way, or is indirectly detrimental by causing that person to neglect doing other things that are proper and essential. Generally speaking, an "addiction" is something over which a person initially has complete control but with time, that discretionary control is surrendered either in part or in full. The pleasure derived from some activity or the frequency with which you engage in that activity do not in and of themselves constitute an "addiction".

For example, I'm rather quite fond of breathing. I tend to do it a great deal, perhaps as much as 5 or 6 complete breath cycles per minute, every minute, all day and all night, asleep or awake. I can think about breathing and it takes place, or I can even forget about it and still, it takes place. Yet no one would claim I have a breathing "addiction".

Meditation is a state of consciousness. It isn't the act of repeating a mantra or counting your breaths or doing this or that. Those things are just techniques we employ in order to reach that state of consciousness we call "meditation". Ultimately, we all want to be in the state of meditation most of the time. I suspect at some point in our growth as intelligent beings we will be aiming to be in that state 100% of the time. When that time comes and we are able to remain in a state of meditation most or even all of the time we will no more be "addicted" to it than we are "addicted" to breathing presently.

Your practice of a meditation technique, like any other activity, could potentially become addictive if it is such that it is inherently damaging to you (highly unlikely) or, as is more often the case, you begin using it to avoid doing other things you should be doing. Are your children being sent off to school in the morning without breakfast or lunches because you feel so compelled to practice meditation that you cannot break away from it long enough to provide meals for them? Have you lost your job because you called in sick every day for a month when in reality you were simply having too much fun practicing meditation to be bothered with something as trivial as earning a living? In other words, if it was an addiction you would be using meditation as an avoidance of life rather than as a way to foster more efficient and harmonious functioning in life. You would be the best one to judge whether or not that is the case, but based on the little you've related so far it does not sound as though you're walking down that path.

Enjoy your practice!

5. Edwin

Edwin Member

I have yet to come across a post from Ta-Tsu-Wa that isn't informative, fun to read, and of great help to the person towards he aims his attention.

You cracked me up with your "breathing addiction" btw ;)

6. islovin

islovin Member

Meditation Goals

Yes Ta-Tsu-Wa,

I see your point that consciousness like breathing is an involuntary action.

It is the pursuit of deeper consciousness that is completely voluntary, just as the pursuit of deeper breathing is voluntary. And like you I would like to be in a meditative state of mind all the time.

I guess I am feeling as if I am pursuing this deeper consciousness with an unquenchable thirst. I am constantly reading and listening and seeking out new venues to drink it all in... I am taking online courses and learning learning learning. It does feel somewhat obsessive to me and yet I feel that I am growing and that it is not at all destructive.

My real question is in the fact that I can't stop talking about my new found interests of all of these old ideas that are resurfacing in many new ways grabbing the attention of more and more people.

I feel like meditation is actually a very private and personal practice and yet I can't stop sharing about it.

As my meditation is beginning to quiet my thoughts...I would also like it to quiet my mouth. I believe that it is better to lead gently and quietly by example than it is to "preach".

It seems I have laid out my next goal with my continued practice.

Again...thanks for listening.

Irene

7. Ta-tsu-wa

Ta-tsu-wa Member

Irene

You're describing potential fanaticism rather than addiction. Ever watch the musical, "Camelot"? One of my favorite lines is:

"I am irritating. I always will be. All fanatics are bores, Pellinore, and I'm a fanatic. Even when I was a child I irritated the other children. I wanted to play their games, but I knew I could not. Even then I was filled with a sense of divine purpose. I'm not saying I enjoy it." Lancelot Du Lac

When in doubt about whether or not to open your mouth, simply smile a lot. The curious will eventually begin asking you to share why you're smiling all the time. It ain't preaching when they come asking.

8. islovin

islovin Member

I'm a Fanatic!!!

Hahahaha...That's it I'm a Fanatic!!!

Excellent advice. I really just have to learn to do a lot more smiling!!!