1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

A theory I read about that gave me a breakthrough

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Edwin, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Edwin

Edwin Member

I read an article by a Dutch person who sells his techniques online.

He made a very bold statement that got my full attention:

Meditation does not work !

First of all, I disagree, and I will tell you why in a minute.

He claims that "enlightenment" is nothing more or less than being able to clear your mind of useless thinking. All people inhere are familiar with "chatter" in your mind that needs to turn to stillness during meditation.
    This guy claims that enlightenment comes when you become still all the time !
    This will give your brain time off like the way it was when you were a child, only active and fully focused on the job at hand when necessary.
    We have all come to accept that the brain is constantly active with who knows what.
    He claimes that all the issues that pop up during the day are unresolved thoughts, that will disappear when the mind finally knows where to "store" or "file" them.
    The technique he sells tells you how to do this, and I have no doubt this works, but I disagree with his claim of meditation.
    Also I am not sure what to think of his claim of enlightenment, as I don't understand what enlightenment is. Reading on what it should be on the internet I dare say it is a little more than what he claims.

However, it got me thinking, we are all becoming experienced practitioners in meditation, and we know how to stop the chatter in our minds while meditating. What if we can also do this during the day ?

So I started experimenting with it, every day I cycle to work for about 20 minutes, and during this cycling I try to clear my head from all thought.
    It was a surprise to me to find out how easy it is to do this, and as a big bonus, it feels like a big weight being lifted from your shoulders.
    It much resembles Vipassana / Zen meditation forms, but I don't see this as meditation, it is more like a new way of living.
    When you are at work or in a stressfull environment, stop your thinking like you have learned during meditation ( no Mantra needed in most cases ) and only the thought that needs direct attention comes up.
    This can give great releave, and helps you focus.

Who agrees with me and who is willing to try this too ? I would like to have more people test this theory with me !

2. drgonzox

drgonzox Member

3. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi Edwin, yes I agree with you totally. If I am understanding you correctly, I think that when your mind is only focusing on what you are doing at any present moment, it allows effective and creative thinking to occur. I think this is living consciously and feels very liberating. I believe it's what is meant by the saying "I am the captain of my ship, the master of my soul?"

I really liked the poem Michael sent out a couple of weeks ago about the little robot called R-U-ME2 by Dr. Denis Waitley

I have a little robot,
    That goes around with me.
    I tell him what I’m thinking,
    I tell him what I see,
    I tell my little robot,
    All my hopes and fears.
    He listens and remembers,
    All my joys and tears.
    At first my little robot,
    Followed my command,
    But after years of training,
    He's gotten out of hand.
    He doesn’t care what’s right or wrong,
    Or what is false or true.
    No matter what I try now,
    He tells me what to do!

It's so liberating and enjoyable to focus on just what you are doing, whether it's walking in the woods, cycling, communicating with someone or working. When I look back now to when my thoughts used to be all over the place, it's so easy to see how stressful that used to be :eek: I think enlightenment is probably indescribable. I imagine you will realize or know the true essence of who you really are, have been and always will be, which will bring the ultimate liberation and freedom because there will be nothing at all to fear. Although I have experienced deep inner peace and enjoy many, many benefits in my daily life, since practising meditation with LifeFlow I have yet to experience enlightenment. I am totally enjoying the journey and love to hear how well other members are improving their lives. I think I used to try to become enlightened earlier on but have learned to enjoy the progressive journey. I wish you continued joy and happiness on your journey of self discovery :) :) :)

4. bashmaki

bashmaki Member

hmmm.

This all gives rise to some questions . . .

who or what is the thinker of the thoughts?

who or what is actively watching or suppressing these thoughts?

if it is "I" that is watching or suppressing these thoughts are these thoughts really "mine"???

You have to wonder if the brain OR the mind are REALLY "mine" at all!!

Do we really want to give these thoughts enough sway to actually do anything with them other than give them a look and let them crumble into so much dust???

Oh bother!!

Gus

5. Cause-or-Effect

Cause-or-Effect Member

Hi everyone.

Edwin, i totally agree with this idea. Just think of the times before adulthood, how easy and spontaneous live was then, before the experiences, problems, unresolved matters or whatever else makes up the inner "chatter" in each individuals mind.
    I'm definitely up for testing it! [email protected]
    Have you already try it?

Best regards

6. Cause-or-Effect

Cause-or-Effect Member

Hi Edwin.
    Would you mind to post his URL please? I'm really curious about this.

Thanks

7. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi Gus, I am currently reading for the second time a book that Michael highly recommended called "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle. He answers these questions incredibly well. It's an amazing read and works so well with LifeFlow. I'm really pleased for your current success which I have read about in other posts and wish you an abundance of joy and happiness on your continuing journey of self discovery :) :) :)

8. ctutt

ctutt Member

Hey Pollyanna, I think you'll like Eckhardt's YouTube presentations too. Just do a search on his name. There are quite a few Tolle videos there and he is quite amusing and interesting to watch. A truly brilliant man.

Regards,
    Charles

9. bashmaki

bashmaki Member

Pollyanna,
    Thank You for the kind words. I have heard of Eckhardt Tolle but have never indulged myself with any of his books. Someday maybe I will... I did the Course in Miracles Lessons a few years ago and have not been able to get interested in many books since that experience. In fact I got rid of nearly all my library save a few perenials that I read regularly or over again from time to time.
    Gus

10. Edwin

Edwin Member

A friend of mine who is working to becoming a healer in alternative ways has allready once done this technique on me, and it worked well, thanks to your link I can now do this myself, thank you !

11. Edwin

Edwin Member

Thanks !

I have tried this, and am currently testing it every day.

All I am asking from you is to find a moment in your day when meditation is not an option, but your still need calmness in your head. You could practice this during a walk, when going from one meeting to another, 5 minutes before you meet someone... Try it when your timeframe is one minute, or 30 seconds, or 5 minutes... When you have more time, you can meditate.

Try this for let's say 2 weeks, and report about it in this post.
    It works for me, but I want to see if other people have the same experience.

12. Edwin

Edwin Member

It is in Dutch only, hope it makes sense to you:

Alles over meditatie en verlichting.

Mind you, I still think that meditation works, and do not agree with the author of this website. He just triggered my breakthrough.

13. tykraus7

tykraus7 Member

14. Edwin

Edwin Member

Great !

Not sure why people are giving me their email adresses... You can post your findings right here in this thread, keeping it alive so more people read about it...

and feel free to post away after the first day you try it, kind of like a weblog !

15. Cause-or-Effect

Cause-or-Effect Member

Thank for the link Edwin. Yeah it's a problem with translation, i used some website translator but the results are very chaotic, but as much as i understood the guy has quiet interesting theories. Hopefully his book he talk about will get its English version one day.

Peace and love

16. Edwin

Edwin Member

Ok this is weird...

It seems that my "breakthrough" is in fact a way of mindfullness, or "living in the now" as Eckhart Tolle would describe it.

Since I started doing this I started searching the web for similar experiences from other people, and this guide describes what I mean perfectly ( you may need to register to view, just do it the site won't disappoint you ) :

How To Guide item :: Million Meditators :: Million Meditators

Is it a meditation form or a way of living ? I think both !