1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

A theoretical question

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by DanielKotzer, Jun 17, 2014.

1. DanielKotzer

DanielKotzer Guest

I have a theoretical question that bothers me:

Observation has a lot to do with meditation - observe your breath, observe your sensations, observe your thoughts.

What is actually happening when you observe something?
    you focus your attention on it, or you detach from it?
    And if both happen, what is the outcome we are looking for in meditation?

Thanks,

2. olmate

olmate Member

Observation for me is akin to "noticing".

For example, you could sit in a park on a park bench. You could be absorbed in your thoughts and emotions and see nothing. Alternatively you could sit quietly and just "notice".

You could notice insects going about their day;
    Notice a cloud silently passing by;
    Notice animated conversations between passers-by;
    Notice the texture of the bench you are sitting on;
    Notice a gentle breeze caressing your face;
    Notice the glorious blue of the sky;
    Notice tension in your neck;
    etc., etc.

No judgement or meaning has to be attached to any of this - just notice.

You see all of this "noticing" is expanding your awareness. As you sit silently and still in your daily practice - without expectation, without desire and just be open... being open to pure awareness ... connecting with the entire universe ... merging into one with entire being and eternity...

For me that is what meditation practice is...

Olmate

3. GilesC

GilesC Member

... (to add) ...

and if you notice your thoughts are arising around the thing that's been noticed, just notice those thoughts and let them pass, without becoming attached or embroiled in them.

Many of the difficulties people experience in meditating relate to them focusing on something to the point that they start to 'think' about it, and then the thinking brings up other memories, thoughts, emotions etc. from the past relating to that thing, and can even project things that 'may' be in the future in relation to it. When this happens we are distracted from the meditation practice, and are attached to the thing and it's thoughts rather than just being aware of it and noticing it in the present moment. If we have knowledge that this can happen, we can notice that it's happened and let go of it, returning to the state of awareness and noticing.

Hugs

GilesC