1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

A newcomer to Meditation! Mantra question

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by AntonHansen, Nov 30, 2008.

1. AntonHansen

AntonHansen Member

Peace to all of you,

I am a complete stranger to the way of Meditate, i have downloaded the Meditation kit, and was done listening to the first CD yesterday, it told med to pick a Mantra, and then i had a piece of paper that i could pick one from! My questions now is how to do it!

I picked this OM sound or more like [AUM] but my question is if i have to repeat that [AUM] sound in my head over and over again, and should it be like: Ohm, ohm, ohm, ohm or more like
    Ooooooohhhhhmmmmmmmmmm, Ooooooohhhhhmmmmmmmmmm, Ooooooohhhhhmmmmmmmmmm :)

I hope it is not to confusing :)

Bottom line: Should i repeat this sound in my head over and over again?

Thanks a lot! And peace to all of you

2. badtrooper

badtrooper Guest

Peace, love and calm to you too.:)

I'm a noob too. I just repeat mine rhythmically, not too frequently, not too long. Works for me. I think the important thing is not to get too stressed about the mechanics and just enjoy the ride. :)

3. Edwin

Edwin Member

Badtrooper is right !

Whatever makes you feel most comfortable.

The mantra is, especially in the beginning, no more than just a trick to keep your mind from loosing control and going into a daydream ( which will happen anyway, don't worry, that's supposed to happen ).

Whatever you do, don't take meditation too seriously. This sounds strange, but when just starting with it, it is supposed to make you feel comfortable.
    Every meditator thinks "am I doing it right" in the beginning. You probably are doing it right as long as you keep it light, without straining or extreme effort. It takes "some" discipline to keep trying, but no more :)

So, if you think OOOOOOOOOOOoooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmm is better than Ohm, and you do about 4 in a minute instead of 500 ( lol ) but you feel good about it, by all means :) !!!

Oh, by the way, Badtrooper repeats it rythmically, which is fine in the beginning. Later on you might want to try to just let it come whenever it wants to. It may go faster, it may slow down, you might even be "mantra-free" for half a minute... As long as your mind is calm and still, that's all fine.

I wish you the best meditation experiences, and remember:

Meditate every day :) !!!

4. AntonHansen

AntonHansen Member

Thanks a million both of you,

I really appriciate the fast responses :)

I am starting today with CD2, i am so exited .

Peace to all of you, and thanks again

5. Jeb

Jeb Member

Om is a good mantra to use. It is a very sacred word in several religious traditions. I find it is easier to use a word in my native (only) language - English. I use the word "peace" often. Sometimes I just use the word "relax." Any way that you can keep your mind relatively clear is a good way. Following your breathing also works very well... counting your inbreaths and your outbreaths. Any time you find that your mind wanders, just observe that you have wandered, and bring your mind back to your mantra or your breathing. No matter what you use, enjoy your time alone with yourself and keep it up! The results will amaze you.

6. AntonHansen

AntonHansen Member

Hello Jeb,

Thanks a lot for the reply i appreciate it a lot :)
    Yeah i guess Om is a good one for starting, it seems a little more easier then saying for an Instance "Sharim" .

But i definitely will keep it up :)

And again thanks for the answer,
    may you always be happier

7. bashmaki

bashmaki Member

I picked one that has two syllables so I could say one on the intake and one on the exhaust.
    When I remember, of course.:)

gus

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  8. AntonHansen

AntonHansen Member

That is actually brilliant :) Smart thinking mate :)
    But i think i stay with my "Omm" mantra, i feel kind of comfortable with that one.

9. bashmaki

bashmaki Member

Being comfortable with a given mantra is definately key.

gus

10. Edwin

Edwin Member

It took some training for me, but I managed to disconnect my mantra from my breathing.

After that, my breathing flowed naturally, and the mantra was able to accellerate or slow down to whatever the meditation needed.
    Before that, I did the same as you did Bashmaki, but I found that I was controlling my breathing with my mantra, and vice versa.
    Since the key of meditation is "letting go" of everything ( well, except bowelcontrol ;) ) I noticed an increase of peace and calm during my meditation after disconnecting breathing and mantra.

And later on I was able to just let go of the mantra in total and just watch the breath.
    Interesting thing ( well, to me at least ;) ) is that my focus now seems to be like 40% on the breathing, and 60% on whatever comes by in my head. As long as I keep noticing the breath, the feelings and thoughts just flow by. It's like a constant reminder in the background that keeps your focus away from the thoughtflow.

No mantra needed anymore :)

11. tdillon

tdillon Member

Another newby with a mantra question...

This is my first time doing this type of meditation. I've done the "Ah" meditation and similar meditations to manifest things, and since I liked the word "shreem", I decided to use this as my mantra. Now, since shreem is a word used in meditations to manifest financial success, I can't help but focus on this, manifesting financial success. I know this is not a bad thing, BUT my question is, should I pick a mantra that does not mean anything to me so that I am completely clearing ALL thoughts from my mind in this type of meditation and use shreem when I am doing the Ah meditation or other to manifest? Is this meditation meant to clear all thoughts from the mind giving myself a true rest and relaxation so that I can better utilize my mind and body throughout each day? Any help on this is much appreciated.

12. bashmaki

bashmaki Member

This is something I've not thought of before Edwin. After some thought seems very interesting. I'd not thought nor realized my mantra may regulate my breathing.

gus

13. Jeb

Jeb Member

Tdillon: If your mantra makes your mind concentrate on one particular subject, I think you might change it to something neutral. For me, meditation is the clearing of all thought from my mind and opening myself to what the cosmos has to offer. I have seldom accomplished a complete clearing, but I find I am always chasing away those worries that keep me focused on my past or my future. Once in a very long while, thought, WOW!

14. purplevibe

purplevibe Member

I have given some thought tonight to the 'mantra' question, I have quite a long mantra, which I used to say out loud, or sing, on my way to work, I used to get off the bus a stop early and chant my way to work - I felt great by the time I got there. It also cemented into my mind that feeling of happiness and relaxation, that we all look for in meditation. This is what I return to when I recite my mantra in my head, time and again, relaxation, peace and happiness. That is what my mantra means to me! You could perhaps try the walking mantra, sing out loud and feel the vibration through your body and mind, my mantra means something to me because although the words are not English, so I am not dwelling on the words themselves, (which, on thinking about it, probably is useful to me as I am a bit of a word-smith, so perhaps it is good that I do no use words which I may analyse overly), but I know what they mean and the thoughts behind the words, all good stuff. I could write a whole essay on the true meaning of my mantra, but the basic thought behind it is a blessing and a receiving of wisdom from the Buddha. I am not Buddhist, but I read 'The Tibetan Book of the Living and The Dead' some time ago and there were a couple of mantras at the back of the book, one chimed with me. In times of trouble I automatically recite my mantra, choose the mantra that is good for you, if it is right it will feel right deep inside, once you repeat it again and again you will find that it does block out anything else, which is useful for meditation, but you will find that you naturally return to it when you need peace, and then it becomes meaningful to you. Don't worry, don't fret over it, you will find the mantra that feels right for you. It is really a means to an end, for me, it is now a returning, a returning to myself, my being, I look forward to meditation as a chance to be me, to let go. Today, I stood in a busy shopping centre sending my mum some good vibes as she sets off on a flight to Canada, I completely zoned in on this, whilst my friend was in a shop, when she returned to me outside the shop I realised that as well as wishing my mum well I had been reciting my mantra in the back of mind as well, the mind is a wonderful thing when you let it go, to chill, but focus, just go with the flow my friend, but remember the journey is as important, or sometimes, as in my case, more; we learn, we change, we grow. Things seep into your being over time. I hope this helps, it is only my personal journey with mantra, it works for me, I often find myself chanting to myself on a bike ride or when walking, it just happens, the rhythm of the words get into your soul, and you find yourself chilled, if you have some chatter - just send it up in a balloon and watch it drift away, 'be in the now', that is another mantra of mine that I say to myself at the beginning of meditation. Do not think about what has gone or what will be, just be in the now and enjoy the now, it is yours to enjoy! Stop, it doesn't matter, be in the now :) Don't rush, stop and smell the roses x

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  15. bashmaki

bashmaki Member

purplevibe,
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts, feelings and insights on the use of the mantra that works for you. I think sometimes I take mine for granted because I just stumbled into it at a yoga class and it stuck with me. I never had to learn it. I heard it once and never forgot it. It really does feel like it could be a part of who I am; in some sense.

gus

16. Breath

Breath Member

which saves you when meditated upon

Thank you so much for you beautiful message, you and those who had the generosity to answer me. I read « The word “mantra” means “that which saves you when meditated upon.”». Your words and these give me now the motivation to use my mantra with consistency in an intuitive way. I can feel and see all its value and nessecity now. Again: thank you so much!:eek:

17. tdillon

tdillon Member

"that which saves you when meditated upon"

Thanks for all the "mantra" help from everyone. The definition of mantra is especially helpful, "that which saves you while meditated upon"...I love that!

Thanks again!

tdillon