1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

A New Beginning

Discussion in 'START HERE: Registration & Introductions' started by Brian2009, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Brian2009

Brian2009 Member

Hi
    Just wanted to introduce myself and maybe seek some help in understanding some issues I'm encountering when trying to meditate.
    I've just completed the 'Discover Meditation' course & have started trying to meditate using LF10.

I had been listening to another program, 'Holosync' for the last 2 weeks but have already been 'put off' by the seemingly constant emails offering you 'great deals' to purchase this or that cd & the exorbitant price of remaining with the program long-term.

Having done some further research I liked what I read about Lifeflow & the various threads posted by users on this website

Having listened to LF10 for the last couple of days I'm having issues trying to focus on repeating my mantra as my mind tends to want to just wander & perhaps entertain briefly any thoughts I have, & then let them pass by again as I try to refocus on my mantra.

I'm having to concentrate on repeating my mantra in my head which seems to me to be a contradiction in terms of letting your mind relax.
    I feel more relaxed when my mind is aimlessly wandering.

I have also read elsewhere that it's ok to let your mind 'entertain' whatever thoughts you have, as long as you are just casually observing them, as opposed to becoming fixated on them.
    This again seems to be a contradiction to the direction to trying to focus on a mantra & empty your mind of all else.
    Can anyone try clarify my confusion & help me better understand my early meditation attempts.

Love reading the comments of users & feel the forum is something that's great to be a part of:)

2. Itlandm

Itlandm Member

Hello Brian! Glad to see another new face. I am rather new here myself, even though I have meditated for around thirty years. (Although not deeply, so I can't flatline my brain waves like Ken Wilber or stuff like that.)

Meditation is above all a state of mind. It is a quiet alertness. You can say, it is a state where you ARE, while usually you DO. Thinking falls squarely in the DO part of your life - in fact, some of us are paid mainly for our thinking. :)

The mantra is merely an anchor. It does not supply any content of your meditation. (Unless you do a religious meditation, using a Divine Name. Not covered here.) You use the mantra to reboot your thoughts when they run off, as they out of habit will do. In meditation, you are the good shepherd, gently calling your sheep (thoughts) back rather than chasing them all over the terrain. Planting the mantra (or other anchor) in the ground of your mind like a shepherd's staff, you will always know where to come back and rest. Do not get upset if you "fail". It is not a contest. You will not lose bonus points if a thought runs far away and you run after it out of habit. Just gently call yourself back to the shepherd's staff, and rest there. Thoughts will come and go, but the more the shepherd is at rest, the more the sheep will also calm down.

So that is the role of the mantra / anchor / focus. It serves to establish a center, a place of rest. If you already are at rest, you don't strictly need it, but in that case you should not have any problem staying with it, either. So it is probably best to stick with your anchor once you have found one that is good for you.

I hope that was not too mystical! It's been a while since I started, but honestly it is still much the same, except it is now trivially easy to enter that state of mind in a matter of a few heartbeats, virtually anytime and anywhere I wish.

3. bashmaki

bashmaki Member

Itlandm,
    That was an excellent description of the relationship between mantra, wandering mind and meditation.
    Thanks; it was a good read.

Brian2009,
    I would only add that meditation is much akin to running or playing poker or anything which is different from your normal routine; it takes practice to get proficient at it.
    Don't beat yourself up to bad over your unruly mind.
    gus

4. Bhavya

Bhavya Member

Welcome to the forum, Brian2009

Nice explanation, Itlandm. :)

Me either. Ken Wilber's a remarkable person. For anyone who's interested on his experiment with meditation and brainwaves, the link is

YouTube - Ken Wilber Stops His Brain Waves

Fascinating

Bhavya

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  5. daisy3

daisy3 Member

Brian2009,
    Hi
    Well come to life flow, I'm at my early stages in life flow too and still finding
    it hard to concentrate at times with lots of thoughts crossing my mind and also some physical sensations that takes place in the course of my meditation.
    Edwin suggested me to accept and relax which is helping me a lot ( Thank you
    Edwin). Itlandm and basmaki has covered most of the helpful suggestions.
    Itlandm- great explanation,thanks
    basmaki-I totally agree.
    bhavya- i'm interested to watch the site you posted, couldn't get through this time ,will defenitely try again soon.
    You'll defenitely get better with practice.happy LF journey.
    daffodil

6. Brian2009

Brian2009 Member

Thanks to all for your words of wisdom

Itlamdm, your analogy to a shepherd & his sheep was very helpful in understanding how to deal with my thoughts...many thanks

I've been 'discovering' the forum also in the last day or two & found a wonderful link to a short video from Paul Wilson on how to view your thoughts in meditation (link below)... to treat them like someone passing by the window of your house..there for a few brief seconds & then gone...

YouTube - Thought in meditation

I've been geting up at 5am for the last few days to meditate prior to starting the day as I don't seem to have time during the day, & I've found it is bringing me a wonderful sense of peace & I'm full of energy until late in the evening despite the early rise!

Thanks again...it's great to ask for & receive such helpful advice as I start on this journey

7. sliccy

sliccy Member

Welcome Brian!

Itlandm, that was a great explanation about what the mantra is about. I had never thought of it like that, and I think that will help me a lot in the future.

Thank you!

-Andy

8. bashmaki

bashmaki Member

Meditation and gratitude is such a wonderful way to start the day! I just love it!

gus

9. camelio

camelio Member

Hi there, with all respect I think you got the wrong idea as to how meditation works, if as you said are "TRYING TO MEDITATE" or "Trying to quiten the mind with a mantra". I think this is one of those cases where a slight shift in vocab can change a whole lot for the meaning of meditation. Stop using the word "trying" for a starts, you won't get far with trying in meditation
    My point is meditation is about doing not trying. You simply sit there and say your mantra, focus on breathing or whatever(I prefer being present as a meditation), then thought comes, you recognise that and go back to your mantra, it comes again, you go back. Do not try, just do it, it doesnt matter how many times you fall back into thought, the recognition of that and going back to the mantra IS MEDITATION. I know we in the west tend to want to "try" and that only leads to frustration because we are not used to the feeling of not being in control or "trying" to be good at something.

So point is again, meditation!! just recognise you are thinking and go back to the mantra, don't ask yourself why you are thinking soo much or shouldn't my mind be quiet, don't question your thoughts in any way. Just realise you are thinking and simply and easily go back to your mantra and I know this was hard for me to accept in the beginning because I kept thinking shouldn't this or that be happening about now, eventually you will realise the quiet.

Remember you aren't trying to quiet your mind but simply tapping into the quiet that is already there, so noooo tryyinggg!!! hehe

10. GilesC

GilesC Member

Camelio,

I completely agree with you.

"trying" is not a conclusion of actions. It is not success and it is not failure.

Telling ourselves that we are going to "try" and do something does not instruct our unconscious mind that we desire a successful outcome and as such it will not take action to reach such an outcome.

This is why, when we want to use positive affirmations they are said as if the outcome already exists in the present moment. i.e. as if the "success" has been achieved already. There is no element of "trying" in it.

;)

Hugs

Giles

11. Itlandm

Itlandm Member

The morning is definitely a great time to meditate, for those who have the opportunity then. It has been recommended since ancient times, and there are actual scientific reasons for this. So if you have your mornings free, enjoy the best start for your day.