1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

A little help...

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Claire_pe, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Claire_pe

Claire_pe Member

Alright, here is my problem, each time (except the first time) I start my meditation session everything is fine except for a headache that starts growing with each meditation session.

First, I thought it was because I was not comfortable with the way I sat. So I changed my sitting position... same problem, I tried many sitting positions in fact, but nothing really helped. Then I tried lying down, it helped a little... except that I fell asleep almost immediately :p

The headache starts in my right shoulder... I did compression point (not sure of the term here, my English is not that good) and the pain in the shoulder left for a little while but not the headache. The headache gets worse when I go deeper inside myself... Could it be a form of resistance?

As soon as I stop my meditation session, the headache stops. :confused:

What am I doing wrong? :eek:

Anyone has any suggestion on how I could wash away this headache?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  2. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi there, first of all, can you tell me what kind of meditation are you doing?
    :) :) :)

3. Claire_pe

Claire_pe Member

I am following through the "Discover Meditation" to kick in the habit into my everyday life. Plus, it is the only kind of meditation I know :)

4. Edwin

Edwin Member

Hej Claire !

It sounds like tension in your shouldermuscles.

Obviously lying down is not an option for you, but maybe you can find a comfortable sitting position that supports your arms and shoulders ?
    Like a resting chair or a couch or something ?
    I saw on the webcamera that you have snow in Mora, so sitting in your car is not an option ( most of Sverige is cold now I guess ) but the seat of your car can be very supportive for your body ( especially in a Svensk Tractor :p )

A lot of people think you have to sit perfectly upright on your chair to meditate successfully, but if you feel comfortable with it, you can meditate hanging upside down :eek:

Try to find a supportive seat, put a blanket around your schoulders and try again !

Hej då och trevlig meditation !

5. Claire_pe

Claire_pe Member

Hej Edwin,

Tack so mycket för hjälpen (thank you very much for your help) and advices, I'll definately try to find a way to support my shoulders... I won't give up so easily :p

Unfortunately I do not live in Mora... but I still cannot sit in my car (not that comfy) since I do not drive...
    Be well :)

6. Edwin

Edwin Member

Var så god ! :D

Mora IS situated in the Dalarna region right ?
    Anyway, good luck and keep us updated !

Hej då !

7. Claire_pe

Claire_pe Member

Hej Edwin,

Yes, Mora is situated in Dalarna, except that I live south of the county... Mora is rather north... :)

Anyhow, today the meditation went a little better as I found a cool chair to sit with a lot of support for my arms. However, I felt after 5 minutes or so my neck getting contracted again and sending pain through my muscles.

I have a few theories :p
    As I was meditating (and I am not quite sure it is ok to do that), I followed rather my breathing than my mantra and for a little while, the pain went away... then well, I do not really know how to explain all the stages since they are not what matters yet. Maybe my mantra is the wrong one, how does one knows?

:rolleyes: I think that I think too much... that unconsciously, since I never knew how to relax (and still don't), my mind takes over and I barely have my share in the decision... Patience... very wise word in itself, I think I should follow it... I'll get there eventually. Some habits die hard, and even if I do not feel stressed inside my body is used to the stress and tension. I feel that some parts are losening it a bit faster with each meditation... so nothing's wrong really, I guess all the fears of not doing it right that I thought I had not, came all at once, and now I need to relax them away.

Stop thinking... let go... nice words, not that easy task though ;)

8. Arius

Arius Member

Actually, this kinda of goes in accordance with the recommendation I was going to offer.

When you start to feel the headache, accept it. Understand it, let it just happen. Consider it like an itch on your nose, allow it to just happen and let it flow. By accepting it, you may find that it just vanishes.

You may also want to consult a doctor. The pain may be an indication of something you only feel when you are very self aware, like your body telling you something. Get it checked out, it can't hurt.

Hope this helps. Take care, and make peace!

9. Lotusflower

Lotusflower Member

This happened with me also when I first started meditating. You are trying to hard. Just relax and let everything "flow". The headaches will go away. Just keep in mind that if you have skeptical doublt, that can cause lots of problems. I believe in you!

10. Claire_pe

Claire_pe Member

Arius,
    My first session was actually absolutely amazing, so as I said before, I then expected this to happen again and tried too hard... hence the headache... it does not go deeper than that, I assure you ;)

LotusFlower,
    You are absolutely right and well I am still in the learning process of letting go. So no matter how a meditation session goes for me, I always feel the benefits the next few hours and especially the next day (like today, I somehow feel calm and harmony with everything around me... the sun might as well have somthing to do with my inner calm).
    So I know I am on the right path, it might take me longer than others that's all.

Thanks for your encouragements and advices,
    Be well you all
    Claire :):):)

11. Edwin

Edwin Member

I guess everybody tries too hard in the beginning.

Actually, I still try hard, I just learned what parts to focus on, and what not to focus on. I think only time and persiverance will give you the experiance for successfull meditation.

Keep trying, I am absolutely sure everybody can meditate !

12. Edwin

Edwin Member

Claire, I was reading some older posts and stumbled on yours. How is it going now ? Do you still have headaches ? I hope not.

Please let us know if you solved the problem.

13. Claire_pe

Claire_pe Member

Hi Edwin,
    I have less headaches nowadays, but they still occur now and then. However, I am not worried about them anymore. I know where they are coming from and I am mastering my dealing with them :D
    All I can say today is that meditation has helped me bring down some firewalls that I had built (very high and thick)... I finally saw what was behind them and it brings me peace, little by little. I had a glimpse of myself and it felt bizarre... strange... funny... amazing... should I go on :rolleyes: ; so the headaches are absolutely peanuts to handle now ;)

Thank you for your concern,
    Hope you are doing well too

Be well
    /Claire :)

14. weplay

weplay Member

hiya, maybe just relax and try to think of the pain as dis-ease leaving your body! namaste. a.
    weplay.

15. Edwin

Edwin Member

Great to hear that it's improving for you !

Weird thing about meditation is that it just seems to keep on getting better, and the effects keep on getting better too !

I think in time the headaches will disappear totally !

Hope to hear from you soon !

Hej Hej, Edwin