1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

A bright, white light?

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by brambles, Apr 10, 2010.

1. brambles

brambles New Member

Hi :)

I'm new to these forums and also, in a way to meditation and I'm having an experience which I don't think is quite normal.

I have 'meditated' quite a bit in the past, but I've never taken it seriously and have mostly just sat there, lost in my thoughts, waiting for someone to put me out of my misery. But lately, my anxiety disorder got very much worse and I realised I had to get my mind in control and that the only way to do it was through meditation. I researched quite a bit and finally found a style of meditation that suited me - I try to concentrate on the centre of my body and observe the breath coming in through the whole body, and then exitting.

When I first tried this method I found that I was able to fall into.. well, I wouldn't call it deep concentration because it was really my first time doing it properly and I was having trouble keeping my thoughts at bay, but I was able to concentrate a lot better than I ever had before. About 5 minutes into the meditation, I started to.. not exactly 'see' but sense a sort of bright, whiteness in my brain/head/face region. It's sort of like, when your eyes are close and someone shines a light in your face, you can sense it? That was the feeling I got (except the light in the room was constant so it wasn't anything external). Then, I sort of felt.. as if my mind was.. I don't know how to describe it.. magically emptying? My head and mind felt very light and bouyant all of a sudden. And that brightness stayed with me.

After that first time, I've only experienced that feeling about two more times and I was wondering.. is that normal? :confused:

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this!

2. Midnight

Midnight Member

Interesting experience brambles.

My advice would be not to worry about what's normal and continue your meditations without expectations :)

3. Panthau

Panthau Member

Hi brambles,

We all are in an unbelievable big space of possibilitys. These possibilitys are only defined through our mind, which creates perception and reality. Even if it seems so, but this world is just created by our mind, and as there are a lot of brains creating, it seems so firm.

So everything thats possible for you, is just defined by your mind. If you believe that something like this could happen, then the possibility that it happens is way bigger then for someone who dont believes that something like this could ever happen. Its just in your mind, and i wouldnt worry about anything.... nothing can harm you, its only the interpretation that could make you worry.

And besides that, i would interpret a big white light as something positive... maybe a sign of your most inner self or something like that :)

4. Bhavya

Bhavya Member

Hi Brambles
    Yes, this is normal and comes with concentration. It's a good sign because it's showing that you can reach a deeper state. However, it's not so good if you develop a feeling of attachment to it - the desire to reach it again. These and other similar experiences are called 'phenomena', and are impermanent and not really helpful unless they contribute to an insight on the nature of the mind - always wanting pleasant experiences and running away from unpleasant ones. It's fine to enjoy them while they last of course! :p

Best is just to accept whatever comes up with non-attachment and notice what your thoughts and emotions are in relation to any and all experiences, moment to moment. Some states are brief while others last longer, but they all pass away eventually. Out of this comes the peace of our essential nature, beyond the mind and body. :)

Bhavya

5. purplevibe

purplevibe Member

white light

What Bhavya says is right, but just for your peace of mind, I have experienced it too, and delighted in it, and enjoyed it. Yet, as Bhavya says I do not look for this everytime I meditate, I have experienced other stuff too, lights going around me, and at other times like a blind coming down really suddenly, so that I am in complete darkness with my meditation. I welcome them all, I do not try to find the reasons why but just enjoy ... make the most of anything you experience in meditation and go with the flow ... enjoy the experience, don't expect to feel that next time, don't expect anything. Each time is different for me, sometimes mind-blowing, other times not, but that doesn't mean I compare them, they are what they are, they are all good times. A time for you, a valued time that you have set aside to be. To be you, aside from all the other stuff that is going on in your life, you have set aside time for you to be, and that is worth something in itself. So do not expect great colours and lights, if they come, they come, do not focus on them, just enjoy and be.

Enjoy

xxx

6. Panthau

Panthau Member

Just yesterday in my meditation, i saw a white spot which exploded into my field of view into trillions of lights... like if i view the universe from outside and fly into it with trillion times light speed. Very plastic the whole thing, nothing i normaly see... it was funny :)

7. JeffRN

JeffRN New Member

White light takever, what happened to me?

Something happened to me the other night that started with a white light, similar to some descriptions I’ve read on here. I don’t know where to turn with this; it was truly a supernatural experience. I’m not telling any of my friends about this because I’m not sure about the reactions I’ll get. They’ll probably think I’m losing it. Somehow, I know that is not the case. Any responses are appreciated. I feel comfortable describing it here.

I was in bed and had just finished my nightly thanks, praise, and forgiveness meditation. Suddenly I felt a warm and vibrating sensation in my chest, and started extending upward, rising towards my brain. A few seconds later, in what I would call my mind’s eye, there was a pinpoint of light in the center of my brain. I’d describe it as looking like a star from the night sky but, it was in my head, as if I could see and feel it from all directions. It was a pleasant and comfortable, and I had no fear.

It is difficult to describe, but this warm and comforting light started to intensify and felt like energy, or electricity was adding and emanating from the pinpoint in my head. At that point my head felt very light and hollow, as if my brain material had disappeared and my skull was what I would call porous or permeable. At the same time this light energy expanded rapidly and within seconds, my head was filled with this light, and the sensation was as if it was so powerful that it radiated beyond my skull, sort of like instead of being a solid skull, it was more like a lampshade, where some of the light comes through the lampshade. For a second or two there was nothing but light energy. I just saw complete and pure white. It didn’t matter if my eyes were opened or closed, or if I was looking outside or inside myself. It was totally overpowering and there was nothing else. It was like if you overexpose a photograph and the photo comes out all white. You know there were other things in the picture, but the light was so overpowering that everything else sort of disappears.

I have spoken about this to one other person, my open minded and spiritually aware cousin. She asked me to describe this in detail and was taking notes of what I was saying. Apparently I used the expression “takeover light” several times to describe it.

For some reason, I can’t remember the exact order of events that happened next; I think they may have all occurred simultaneously, if that is even possible. There was an out of body experience. I was looking down on myself in bed and the bright light dimmed enough that I could once again see my surroundings. My upper body had a glow. It was brighter and whiter towards my head, like an aura pulsating with subtle layers of color ranging from pure white, to a range of mostly blues and greens. There was definite “cool” color dominance as opposed to warm colors like reds and oranges. This “aura” or whatever it was, was visible down to around my middle chest , at which point it faded to nearly unnoticeable as I looked lower on my body.

It may be worth mentioning that while the overpowering takeover light started to fade , returning my vision, the edges of the light that were transitioning from “overexposed” to normal, seemed to have a circle of figures, or silhouettes, around the border. I could not make out details but I felt like they were comforting and loving, almost as if they were loved ones that had passed. I’d guess there were about a dozen of them.

At some point, seemingly during the same time, I began to sense communication from something beyond. It seemed to be part lesson, part warning, and part instruction about my future purpose. This communication did not come in the form of words. It was more like an instantaneous upload of knowledge that is only now starting to turn into language in my mind.

Then as quickly as it took at started, it was over. I was lying comfortably in my bed, the only difference being that I was on top of the covers now. I feel more wonderful, energized, and peaceful than ever before. Spiritual questions that I have pondered for years suddenly felt as if they were answered completely and with no doubt. It’s like I received instant knowledge and understanding of certain spiritual questions, along with a message that with this new understanding, there is no purpose or need to spend time trying to understand them, since the answers have been provided.

Things like reconciling evolution vs. creation, the diversity and apparent conflicts between religions or spiritual beliefs, comparing our spirits vs. our souls, how the universe can apparently be infinite, and much much more. Those seemed to be the lesson part of this experience.

I feel like I was also provided warnings regarding deadly upcoming events triggered by evil doers, as well as an upcoming devastating natural disaster, mostly involving water. I also feel inspired somehow that the answers to my questions were provided so that I would free my mind to pursue other matters with belief, conviction, and love. My role in all this will be to use the time previously spent pondering these questions, to instead ease people’s suffering and fears during the upcoming evil and devastation.

The final message was about my purpose while I’m physically alive on earth. I was told that every human has two connections with our Creator. One connection is external. This is where we gain strength and comfort through meditation and prayer. The other is internal, within us, like a spiritual tree, that germinates the first time we have a hint of belief in something greater than ourselves. The external connection is there to help, support, and comfort us, like a spiritual support system. The internal spiritual tree is different. It exists to give us strength to share and help others. It is a storehouse of spiritual power to be used lovingly, for a purpose far beyond ourselves.

I should mention that there were several unusual occurrences leading up to and immediately following my, what seems now to be my supernatural “takeover light”, epiphanies. These include several unusual writings and conversations that were out of character for me. I also experienced an overwhelming sensation of my deceased father ‘s presence leading up to the event.

I don’t know exactly what happened to me. I do know that I am changed forever from it. My challenging spiritual questions have been instantly and overwhelmingly answered. I also have a different sense of my purpose in life that has nothing to do with personal gain, and everything to do with helping others.

I know it sounds crazy, but it was the most amazing thing that I have ever experienced. I feel like it transformed me as a person, providing peace, love, understanding and purpose.

This was difficult to share and honestly I don’t know exactly what happened, but it was overwhelming, perfect, and I’ll never be the same.

I am a registered nurse, experienced with many medical conditions that produce bits and pieces of what I’ve experienced. I’ve worked in hospice and watched people seemingly communicating with deceased loved ones just before passing. I’ve also worked with stroke patients that describe brilliant flashes of light. Some migraine patients describe these flashes of light too. There have also been drug overdose patients as well as psych patients that experience unusual sensations and visions. I’ve also prayed with people of many different faiths during tragic times in their lives, trying to support them with their connection to their creator. Even though I may not subscribe to their particular faith, I always do my best to help them seek comfort from our creator in their own way.

These patients all had these experiences as result of pain, tragedy, mental illness, substance abuse, fear or some downside or negative associated with it. I had none of that, and my experience seems much more complete and purposeful than anything I’ve ever witnessed. It was an instantaneous and overwhelming peace and purpose that I have never experienced.

In closing, I’m not providing details of the evil and disaster warnings because, I feel it are not the time to instill fear in anyone seeing this. I will follow my heart and dispense this information as inspiration guides. Now is not that time.

Has anybody ever heard of anything like this before? It almost feels like that internal tree I described has grown or bloomed beyond my physical boundaries or something. If anybody has any thoughts that relating to what may have happened to me, I would really appreciate it if you’d share it with me. I love what happened and feel inspired but, it was very strange and I’m unaware of anyone else that has had the same experience. In a strange way I feel very much on my own right now with this, and I need to hear from anybody that can relate. Thank you.

8. Itlandm

Itlandm Member

JeffRN,
    what you describe is not a psychiatric condition. As you certainly know from your medical school and practice, the breakdown of psychiatric patients is very different. The voices in their head are vocal, angry and belittling, usually simple and repetitive. What you describe is a classical spiritual experience. Whether this is actually caused by an outside force or subconscious processes (or whether there is even a difference) is a matter of belief.

Experiences like yours are not uncommon in Buddhism and among Christian saints; I don't know other traditions well enough to say whether it is more widespread.

It is so common in fact that there is a running joke about it. A Buddhist monks comes excitedly to his superior: "Master, today during my morning meditation I saw a great white light, and out of the light, the Buddha spoke to me!"
    The head monk looked at him calmly. "If you keep focusing on your breath, this too will pass."

The meaning of this is that even if you have amazing experiences, it is more important to make sure you have a strong foundation and that you test all your experiences against the body of spiritual knowledge. If, as you say, you are inspired to help and comfort people in the face of the disasters ahead, that is a good thing. If you are inspired to sneak up on the supposedly evil people and kill them before they have time to do their evil, that is contrary to all enlightened traditions and you should study the Truth more.

Extraordinary spiritual experiences happen. Generally what you describe is something that could easily have happened within the Christian or Buddhist traditions. But of course most casual adherents of religion, not to mention the materialist, will never experience anything like that and will react intensely to shut out the possibility of it. So you are probably right to not share this with all your friends. It creeps people out.

9. Panthau

Panthau Member

Sounds like a quite normal experience if youre into meditation... id rather soak it in instead of worrying. :)

Funny to read my old posts, btw. :D