1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

a beginner quest

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by firstep, Sep 28, 2014.

1. firstep

firstep Member

Does this happen to every beginner? I was trying to meditate. Been a week now. Everytime i focus on to myself, say for example on my breath it just only happens for only a second. Then i will find myself thinking of another thing. I tried to force my self but i cant. Felt like i was dreaming or maybe i just felt asleep. Is this normal? How to overcome this? Or in some cases even if it take say 5 seconds i find myself like dreaming. Its like the act of just focusing is linking to my other thought. Felt like a dream actually. I dunno if i fell asleep but im pretty sure its not my intention..

2. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi firstep and welcome to the community :)

here's a piece from a great source...

"To begin, let’s establish what is meant by the word “meditation”. The dictionary offers several different meanings such as to “think about” or “consider” a thing, etc. Our definition is very specific. Meditation is a particular state of consciousness having very unique attributes. This means meditation is a noun, not a verb. For the sake of convenience we may still speak of “meditating” but in fact this is inaccurate. What we really mean is that we are in the state of meditation. I won’t split hairs here and try to decide if there are multiple states of consciousness that can all be called meditation, or if there is only one. It suffices for our purposes to note that meditation is a state of consciousness possessing very specific and unique attributes.

We may use the term “to meditate” as a convenience, but always keep in mind, what is really meant is that we enter into a state of meditation. It’s an important point to distinguish because if we get caught in the trap of regarding meditation "as a verb” it leads into all sorts of problems and misunderstandings. If a person incorrectly believes meditation is a verb, they generally also confuse whatever technique they use to arrive at a state of meditation as being meditation in and of itself.

All techniques whether mantra, focus on the breath, contemplation of a koan, or any other, are simply the vehicles we use to take us into (hopefully) a meditative state. Put another way, the purpose of repeating a mantra is not to get proficient at repeating a mantra. The purpose is to take us to a meditative state where the mantra slips away and is no longer necessary...

to read more click on the link below...

http://www.project-meditation.org/c...nciples-meditation-entrainment.html#post12298

You can also download "Discover Meditation" from the top left of the community which is free right now.

Hope this helps and wish you much peace and joy :) :) :)