1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

2 hrs of mantra meditation each day

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by mento, Sep 11, 2010.

1. mento

mento Member

Hi,

I have been suffering from anxiety disorder for 30 years. From recent experience, I found that mantra meditation is giving me lot of relief. Within a month, I am able to do 40 mins meditation twice a day. I am not forcing my
    meditation, I actually enjoy these sessions.

Now I want to a add a third session of 40 mins (so it comes to a total of 2 hrs of mantra meditation each day).

But I am afraid to add the third session as I read some horror stories about excessive meditation. Especially, since I have this anxiety disorder for so many years, I am afraid that doing 2 hrs of meditation every day may backfire, bring all anxiety and unpleasant experiences out at once.

But so far I never had any unpleasant experiences. I always enjoy my meditation sessions.

What should I do? Can I go ahead with the third session? Please advise me.

Thank you.
    Mento

2. Panthau

Panthau Member

Hi there,

For most people, 20-40mins meditation a day is more then enough. Meditation is not a direct medication for anxiety, it rather leads you there to handle it for yourself and release it, by opening up to it.

So id suggest to take it slow, as your momentary amount of meditation is more then most people could handle.

Atb,
    Pan

3. Midnight

Midnight Member

Just curious, but why do you want to add a third session?

I would advise against it, because two 40 minute sessions is enough. Over meditation could release too many emotions at once. While it kind of sucks while you're experiencing it, the best thing to do is to embrace yourself in the feeling and feel it fully. It is always impermanent, it will always pass.

If you enjoy the amount you do now, just keep it that way, in my opinion. :)

4. Itlandm

Itlandm Member

As for whether you will have nightmares and stuff like that, probably not if you ramp it up gradually. If you are in a life situation where you have excess time on your hands, it is not necessarily the worst thing you can do. But don't expect the process of self-improvement to go 50% faster if you meditate 50% more. Or faster at all, actually.

You are already meditating more than you need. Instead, I would recommend to seek to be more present in your life. Meditation should not be an escape from life, but a kernel around which a new and better life begins to sprout. After a month, you have probably seen nothing yet. In time, you will find that you automatically go into a kind of meditative state whenever you are waiting for something. The calm will spread through the gaps in time, smaller and smaller gaps, until your whole life is filled with calm. This process cannot be hurried. Be present in your meditation, be present in your life, and it will happen over time.

5. GilesC

GilesC Member

I can only agree with what the others have said. If you really feel a need to do it then fair enough, but I doubt you will gain much benefit from much more meditation than you are already doing.

Hugs

Giles

6. mento

mento Member

Thank you

Hello,

Thank you all very much. After reading the responses, I decided not to add the third session. May be I was too excited. Because two sessions were giving me some relief, I thought adding more sessions will bring more relief.

Really appreciate your help. This is very helpful forum.

7. heskey627

heskey627 Member

Hi.
    Thanks for sharing your experiences on meditation, i followed up your instructions and really getting better results then earlier.

8. ChilliPeppa

ChilliPeppa Guest

Hi Mento,
    Like you I really enjoy meditation. I have in the past meditated for long periods and there is something to be gained from that, but also one can over do it. I suggest if you are inclined to meditate longer, to once per week have an extra long meditation. That way you gain the experience and benefit of a longer meditation time without as many possible risks. This way you can monitor how you respond to a long mediation yet you are only doing it once a week so as not to go into over-do mode.

9. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi there Mento,

I am so pleased that you are enjoying meditation and I can understand your excitement at finding relief and wanting more :) I love my special time everyday and the numerous improvements I experience throughout the day also, however I have never meditated longer than an hour each day and think you are wise in your decision to carry on as you are.

Meditation is cumulative and you will become aware of this in many ways over time. I wish you an abundance of peace and joy :) :) :)

10. chaft

chaft Member

I have suffered from the same problem. I know the key to anxiety is to challenge your fears. Now if your only objection to meditating more is because your fear the outcome then you should do it. Because fear is something to be challenged. You must never let it stop you from doing something you want.

If however you are using your lovely meditations to hide from the world or from commitments then I believe you should not do more. Like a person who enjoys his drink..showing moderation prevents addiction and is good discipline ..so my key here is what is the motivation for meditating more....and then decide according to your own values.

I leave on this note though. My counsellor once said to me 'You can't have too much of a good thing' and I strongly agreee with her.

11. mento

mento Member

Hi Again

Hello All,

Thank you again for all your responses. I am now doing 20 min session twice a day. After few days of 40 min meditation sessions, I observed that though it was relaxing me immediately, it was reducing the quality of sleep. After some experimentation, I observed that 20 min in the morning and 20 min in the evening is optimum.

I will increase the length of time gradually, may add 5 min every month. Please let me know what you think.

12. Edwin

Edwin Member

Personally, I would stick with this setup of 20+20=40 meditation for at least 3 months.
    If you still have the urge to increase your meditation time after 3 months please do so, but I suspect that the urge won't be as strong by then.
    You see, consistancy is more important than time.
    Meditating every day twice a day for several months without skipping a meditation is most effective.
    Even if for some reason you would not be able to meditate in the morning because you slept in, do a quick 5 or 10 minute meditation, even if you are late for work or school. I would rather skip breakfast than meditation.

13. mento

mento Member

Hi Edwin,

I will follow these guidelines. I am realizing how the advices of people who already walked this path are invaluable. Otherwise beginners may experiment too much and finally give up thinking it is not working.

Thank you.

14. Salem Temple

Salem Temple Member

wonderful advise, thankyou! :)

15. MeditationMan

MeditationMan Member

16. GilesC

GilesC Member

Different people will experience meditation differently and benefit at different rates. Some people may experience a lot of emotional upbringing, others not, and some like youself will find it relaxing and refreshing, maybe you don't have any large emotions to come up? or maybe there are things so deeply engrained they're not going to come up yet as you're holding them in? Everyone is unique. A lot of the benefit of meditation comes in your daily life and it's often something that will gradually become more noticable over time (or certainly more noticable as you look back further to before you started meditating).

You may want to consider starting to increase the amount of time you meditate a little. Normal teachings for Transcendental meditation would involve the 'student' starting at 5 or 10 minutes and then over a period of weeks the time would be increased till they are meditating for 20 minutes twice a day. It would then be over months and years that the length increases to 25 and 30 minutes (or sometimes longer). Some say that meditating for more than 30 minutes offers no greater benefit, but that is a matter for debate.

;)

Hugs

Giles

17. MeditationMan

MeditationMan Member

Good insight, Giles. It's just been tough finding quiet time in my home environment, with a newborn and wearing so many hats professionally right now. Conversely, I know deep-down that there's some room where I can cut some things down or out that would give me more time to meditate. Thanks