1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

1 Week strong

Discussion in 'START HERE: Registration & Introductions' started by Remember, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Remember

Remember Member

Hello , and thanks for this wonderful site

I've been practicing meditation for about one week now at least 20-40 mins each day. But i have one main question that i can't seem to find anything about it.

Im mainly trying to do pot shaped breathing meditation which requires me to lay down. I never fall asleep which is awesome but theres always this happening to me. The adrenaline rush you get or the Spine-Tingling feeling
    keeps occuring about half way through. Im not cold or anything and i can stop it by thinking of it but that breaks my concentration.

I've also noticed when im sleeping and about to enter a lucid dream this also happens. I keep telling myself soon it will vanish but I don't understand why it appears.

Any suggestions ?!

2. Remember

Remember Member

3. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi Remember and welcome to the Project Meditation community,

I'm not familiar with "pot shaped breathing meditation" so I've looked it up on t'net. (by the way, your last link you posted is broke, you may want to edit that)

Unlike other breathing meditations which usually instruct you to just observe the breath but let the breath happen as it wishes naturally, the "pot shaped breathing" looks to be a forced breathing in a particular manner. Whilst this can be useful in some practices, such as generating Chi energy etc. on a more physical plane you are interrupting the natural flow of oxygen around the body either by limiting it or increasing it (depending on how slowly and/or deeply you are breathing). This change in oxygen levels can not only cause light headedness, but can also cause faintness or pins-and-needles (tingling) etc. in parts of the body. This may relate to the spin-tingling you are feeling.

This sort of thing can also be experienced when you place your focus too hard on something, as you can sometimes inadvertently force your breathing. One of the tricks of meditation is to learn to simply observe rather than force a focus, whether that's with guided meditations or on a mantra etc.

There are of course some spiritual explanations, and only you can be the best judge as to what you experience.

Hugs

Giles

4. Panthau

Panthau Member

Always be careful with "spiritual" practices, wether they are spiritual or not. You can do serious damage to your mind/body, when practicing advanced techniques without proper guidance. This is not meant to make you worry, but to reflect on the things you´re doing. Im saying this to you out of my own experiences.

Thanks for the links btw, quite interesting.

Atb,
    Pan

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  5. Remember

Remember Member

-Gilesc Thanks for the welcoming
    Today when I began to meditate I did as you said and just observed my breathing, but yet again I would get these chills down my spine id say when my mind is fairly blank. It starts at the top of my neck and rushes down. Today they were more subtle, it felt really calming and enjoyable. I find it hard to sit in the lotus position so I lay down to meditate. What would you recommend a newbie like myself to any specific meditation exercise? or just to explore as I am now.

-Panthau, thx for the insight.
    Im really interested in OBE's, Astral projections and of course Lucid dreaming. I don't mean to jump ahead to these advanced techniques without knowing the basics. Pretend im you for instance when you first started to meditate. What are some helpful tips you know now, that would of really helped in the beginning?

6. GilesC

GilesC Member

Have you tried doing a mantra based meditation instead. If not, download Michael's free "Discover Meditation" and give that a go; no focus on the breathing whatsoever.

You don't have to sit in the lotus position to meditate; the main purpose of that is to make the body have an upright spine, but most people do find it uncomfortable, unless they become well practiced at it. Typically, lying down causes people to fall asleep (you're lucky if you don't). All that is really needed to meditate is to find a comfortable sitting position in a suitable chair, perhaps something that supports your lower back if you need, but avoid supporting the head; instead let the head sit on top of the upright spine naturally.

Different positions and meditation practices suit different people, so you'll have to find what's right for you, but I wouldn't recommend swapping too frequently, and to actually give each variation a suitably lengthy try before deciding if it's the right one or not.

Hugs

Giles

7. Panthau

Panthau Member

The best way to start, is to let go. Let go of your expectations, let go of your wishes, let go of thoughts. Then you´re here, right now, where no trouble exists. Maintaine this state, and bliss will be yours.

Regarding your problems with the sitting position, try to use some pillows for the back. I prefer something soft to sit on (bed or pillows for example), so its not that hard for my bones :)
    But laying on the back is also fine, if you dont fall asleep that way.

Atb,
    Phil aka Pan

8. Karmoh

Karmoh Member

This statement is all that is required, so simple. When you rest in awareness (now) there is nothing, this nothing is immeasurable, so quick, yet goes on forever.

good stuff Pan :)

9. Panthau

Panthau Member

Thanks, i always try to keep it simple (lazyness :D).

10. morningbird60

morningbird60 New Member

Don't dothis is you have high BP

Hi
    Have tried this and yes it works fantastic. BUT A big warning do not do this breath if you have High BP or heart problems. It puts to much strain on your heart.