Project Meditation Community Forum

Go Back   Project Meditation Community Forum > Project Meditation Community > Meditation Chatter Box

Download Discover Meditation LifeFlow Meditation Technology - Free Sample Golden Threads
How to fast track your way to meditation success Project-Meditation Success Stories
FAQ LifeFlow Download Center
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 15th, 2011, 15:49   #1 (permalink)
derekjthomas (Offline)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6
Red face Meditation Journals

Hello.
I was wondering if any of us here in the forum keep or have kept a meditation journal?

For those who have kept a journal and stopped: was there a particular reason you discontinued it?

For those who are still keeping a journal: How often do you make enteries in your journal and generally what kinds of things do you write about? Also, how helpful have you found journaling?

Without giving prejudice to people's responses, I have both kept and not kept a journal myself. There have been times when I have stopped because of time constraints (I write slowly ^&^). There have also been times when I found keeping a journal a disturbance. On the other hand, I have also found it useful at times.

I'm just curious what others' experiences are.
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share on FacebookGoogle Bookmark this Post!Stumble this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2011, 18:42   #2 (permalink)
GilesC (Offline)
Member
 
GilesC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Staffordshire, UK
Posts: 1,843
Default

I've heard of people keeping meditation journals before, but always wondered what one would write in them or the point of them (without meaning to sound offensive).

I guess, my journal is what I write about meditation on forums such as these, where I share my knowledge, insights and experience with others (and I can type faster than I can write hehe!).

Hugs

Giles
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share on FacebookGoogle Bookmark this Post!Stumble this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2011, 23:03   #3 (permalink)
Edwin (Offline)
Member
 
Edwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Alkmaar, The Netherlands
Posts: 1,869
Default

Originally Posted by GilesC View Post
(and I can type faster than I can write hehe!).
Most people who have read my posts can testify that I can type faster than I can think

I too don't quite see the point in writing a journal, and that is not meant offensive.

To me, a journal is there for the purpose of documenting a journey.
Going from point A to point B, and making a journal of whatever you encounter during that trip.

Even tho most people start meditation with a hidden agenda, meditation itself is not a tool for reaching a goal.
Meditation is the goal instead.

In meditation, the mind slows down, or even stops, and no documenting can be done when you are in a state that is without words and thoughts.
All that you can do is try to describe that state afterwords, even if words seem to be failing miserably to describe that wordless state.
What is there to document ?

So actually, I should be asking: What is the goal you have chosen for your meditation session that you would like to document ?
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share on FacebookGoogle Bookmark this Post!Stumble this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 03:58   #4 (permalink)
Uplift (Offline)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 68
Default

Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
and no documenting can be done when you are in a state that is without words and thoughts.
All that you can do is try to describe that state afterwords, even if words seem to be failing miserably to describe that wordless state.
What is there to document ?
How do you know exactly what the Source, God, Oneness, Spirit, whatever, is, and is and isnt capable of?

Jesus and Buddha both used words and thoughts.
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share on FacebookGoogle Bookmark this Post!Stumble this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 14:08   #5 (permalink)
GilesC (Offline)
Member
 
GilesC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Staffordshire, UK
Posts: 1,843
Default

Originally Posted by Uplift View Post
How do you know exactly what the Source, God, Oneness, Spirit, whatever, is, and is and isnt capable of?

Jesus and Buddha both used words and thoughts.
Not quite sure what you're getting at?

Jesus and Buddha used words sure enough, but I doubt they did during stillness of the mind otherwise their mind would not be still.

Would be interested to understand what you mean though.

Hugs

Giles
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share on FacebookGoogle Bookmark this Post!Stumble this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 14:33   #6 (permalink)
derekjthomas (Offline)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6
Wink

Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
I too don't quite see the point in writing a journal, and that is not meant offensive.

To me, a journal is there for the purpose of documenting a journey.
Going from point A to point B, and making a journal of whatever you encounter during that trip.

So actually, I should be asking: What is the goal you have chosen for your meditation session that you would like to document ?

First off, as this was a question about other people's practices, I of course take no offense if the reason for not writing a journal is not seein a point. That is legitimate. ^^

As you say, the purpose of keeping a journal is to document a journey, an a meditation journal could do just that. Especially when we consider meditation as a journey without destination. I also think that journaling does not necessarily imply a goal. Journaling could be a way to clarify experiences and feelings. Journaling could be a way to confim progress. Journaling, if done before meditation, could also be a preparation. There are many reasons and ways to keep a journal. Especially if we can think of it as a way to focus on the now. Not necessarily, "I just did this..." but rather, "right now I am this".

As you also mentioned, if there is a (future oriented) goal in meditation, then, we are making a mind object which would be a hinderance to meditation. Existing in stillness and quietness is a great place to get to, however, even very experienced monks will tell you that the mind does not always stay put. It will always play games to distract. For some people, one way to enjoy the game might be to jot those baubles and toys down if they resurface after meditation is finished.

I guess that what I'm getting at is there could be many reasons for journaling. I was just wondering if anyone here did it, and what their experience with journaling is.
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share on FacebookGoogle Bookmark this Post!Stumble this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 17:02   #7 (permalink)
Edwin (Offline)
Member
 
Edwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Alkmaar, The Netherlands
Posts: 1,869
Default

Originally Posted by derekjthomas View Post
First off, as this was a question about other people's practices, I of course take no offense if the reason for not writing a journal is not seein a point. That is legitimate. ^^

As you say, the purpose of keeping a journal is to document a journey, an a meditation journal could do just that. Especially when we consider meditation as a journey without destination. I also think that journaling does not necessarily imply a goal. Journaling could be a way to clarify experiences and feelings. Journaling could be a way to confim progress. Journaling, if done before meditation, could also be a preparation. There are many reasons and ways to keep a journal. Especially if we can think of it as a way to focus on the now. Not necessarily, "I just did this..." but rather, "right now I am this".

As you also mentioned, if there is a (future oriented) goal in meditation, then, we are making a mind object which would be a hinderance to meditation. Existing in stillness and quietness is a great place to get to, however, even very experienced monks will tell you that the mind does not always stay put. It will always play games to distract. For some people, one way to enjoy the game might be to jot those baubles and toys down if they resurface after meditation is finished.

I guess that what I'm getting at is there could be many reasons for journaling. I was just wondering if anyone here did it, and what their experience with journaling is.
This makes sense to me.

Thinking it over, if one documents without a certain goal, clarifying it to themselves by writing it down can be useful.

So, in answer to your question, no, I haven't made a journal.
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share on FacebookGoogle Bookmark this Post!Stumble this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 17:04   #8 (permalink)
Edwin (Offline)
Member
 
Edwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Alkmaar, The Netherlands
Posts: 1,869
Default

Originally Posted by Uplift View Post
How do you know exactly what the Source, God, Oneness, Spirit, whatever, is, and is and isnt capable of?

Jesus and Buddha both used words and thoughts.
For some reason there seems to be a weird miscommunication between you and me.

I don't understand what you mean, could you clarify your question ?
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share on FacebookGoogle Bookmark this Post!Stumble this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 21:22   #9 (permalink)
Karmoh (Offline)
Member
 
Karmoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 349
Default

Originally Posted by Uplift View Post
How do you know exactly what the Source, God, Oneness, Spirit, whatever, is, and is and isnt capable of?

Jesus and Buddha both used words and thoughts.
Sometimes people throw hooks expecting to catch something.............
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share on FacebookGoogle Bookmark this Post!Stumble this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2011, 00:07   #10 (permalink)
Uplift (Offline)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 68
Default God knows

Gidday, Its a question I was asked, 'How do you know what God is, what God can do?

'Are you certain?'

It was an instant of choice, God or not, my truth or not. The truth is from my experiences, my glimpses, like those talked about in the video you posted Karmoh, God really is Truth, Oneness, Omni whatever, that really, certainly became clear to me.

So, answering truthfully, other than that, still mind or not, 'I dont know'. It would be untrue to say otherwise.

Well meaning people once told the Wright brothers that flight was impossible, Roger Bannister that the human body couldn't do a four minute mile, and that entrainment tapes listened to on headphones was madness, fairy dreams.

As far as journals goes, I am certain that God would say that its entirely possible that journals could lead to whatever it is that you need, or choose. If you feel the persistant urge to use them, if your intentions are good and clear, listen to yourself, you'll learn much about yourself and God will be totally present. God only knows, you may even find a path to 'enlightenment', beneficial to all.
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share on FacebookGoogle Bookmark this Post!Stumble this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.0 RC2

All times are GMT +3. The time now is 14:58.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8 Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.1.0
Project Meditation - A Website Created By Mind and Body Research Institute LLC